Golf Cart/Person Accident 2/24/2011

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Just out of curiosity, if a golf cart driver is stopped for speeding in TV and the officer can smell alchohol, are they given sobriety tests and/or breathalisers? I assume the same legal limit applies to golf cart drivers as it does to automobile drivers?
And if you are stopped do you have to show a drivers license. My understanding is that a drivers license in not required to drive a golf cart. Can you refuse to show it? And if you do, what about points on your license? How would all that work?

Bob
Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
And if you are stopped do you have to show a drivers license. My understanding is that a drivers license in not required to drive a golf cart. Can you refuse to show it? And if you do, what about points on your license? How would all that work? Bob
I've been told you cannot "legally" drive a golf cart if you're under 14. Who makes up these rules? If this is true, obviously no driver's license is required. (And I've seen very young children driving golf carts without an adult present, barely able to see over the steering wheel!). I wonder if a person without a license is protected by the cart's insurance if they cause an injury to a pedestrian?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I've been told you cannot "legally" drive a golf cart if you're under 14. Who makes up these rules? If this is true, obviously no driver's license is required. (And I've seen very young children driving golf carts without an adult present, barely able to see over the steering wheel!). I wonder if a person without a license is protected by the cart's insurance if they cause an injury to a pedestrian?
Them boys up in Tallahasse. Under 14 is state law.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
And if you are stopped do you have to show a drivers license. My understanding is that a drivers license in not required to drive a golf cart. Can you refuse to show it? And if you do, what about points on your license? How would all that work?

Bob
If you are stopped they can ask for identification. If you have a driver's license and have committed a moving violation I expect you can be fined and "earn" points. If you are under 14 your infraction will be reported to your home state and probably delay receiving your drivers license to an age beyond the norm.

If you have no drivers license and you are over 14 you are "legal" but it won't get you out of trouble if you commit a moving violation.

If you have no license and no identification you may get a ride to the police station until they find out who you are.

If you have not committed a moving violation I don't think they can stop you and demand identification unless they suspect you are under 14.

My observations are based on my own interpretation of the law. If an absolute correct answer is needed I would advise consulting law enforcement or an attorney.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran member
Default golf cart insurance

Barefoot,
The golf cart does not have insurance - the owner of the cart has insurance. If the owner let a child drive and an accident occured, the owner is going to get his/her butt sued off.

Be sure that your golf cart is insured before driving.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Eternal Member

If you do not have a drivers license the state will issue a temporary license so they can put you in the system. If you are under 14, it will go to your home state and count against you when you decide to apply for a drivers license. It could mean that the minor ill not get a drivers license at 16 or 18 or whatever age they apply. If you are over 14 and do not have a license it will be the same. You will be in the system.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

And that happens on regular roads. Last week on a 4 lane city street a person was walking around in the center of the street. Could not make up his mind which side of the street he wanted to go to. I think the fact that he was on a cell phone might have made him forget about traffic. People crossing against the light and in the middle of the road seems to be common in certain locations and getting worse.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Barefoot,
The golf cart does not have insurance - the owner of the cart has insurance. If the owner let a child drive and an accident occured, the owner is going to get his/her butt sued off.

Be sure that your golf cart is insured before driving.
I believe cart insurance is the same as car insurance. The cart or car is insured no matter who is driving.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.