Golf Cart rules of the road.

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've driven St. Charles everyday for the past 9-1/2 years since I have lived in Tamarind Grove. I found about 1 car driver in 50 will do this, and it actually makes more sense and I've been doing for about 5 years.

Just like a cart driver when they see spacing will merge into the car lane when wanting to make a left. As a car driven wanting to make a right turn and there are carts in the cart lane to the right of me, I select whether I'm going ahead or behind the cart and move over into the cart lane with my car about 3' or halfway into the cart lane and of course my right turn signal was already applied. This leaves no doubt in anyone's mind where my sequence for turning is going to be. There's absolutely no way a cart will be next to me, I've eliminated every problem that could have arisen simply by merging slightly into the cart lane. I do this almost everyday since I have to make a right turn onto Southern Star Way (Tamarind Grove Blvd) when coming from the south and have not had a problem for over 5 years with this method.

I wish all drivers in TV would learn to do this, just like cart drivers learn to merge left, until you see that one cart driver about once month who seems to want to make a left from the cart lane. This fellow tried that 3 yeas ago on O'Dell and was killed.

The Villages Florida
I wondered about doing just that, while driving a car. Makes a lot of sense if its "legal". I saw something about getting a ticket for driving in the cart lane but I think in this circumstance it is the safest way to go.
I once had a cart pull up and take a right at the stop sign on Tamarind Grove Run onto St. Charles. I was looking left and when I pulled out to turn right the cart had already rounded the corner and was right next to me. If I had turned a little sharper I would have run him up on the curb
or hit him. He had driven through the area at the intersection marked
with crossed white lines, meaning move left. Shook me a little as I didn't see him come up on my right side.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The driver in vehicle should of never been along side you if he was turning right, he should of yielded. And he shouldn’t of cut you off turning. IMO you should held you’re speed and let him fall in behind you where he should of been in first place turning when lane was occupied. Bottom line you didn’t get hit. The second car Back was inpatient AH.

O, by the way you’re going to run into a lot of inpatient __s in villages, out of bubble, in Florida, well everywhere.
Isn't it mind boggling how a large part of the population here being retired and for the most part pretty well off with plenty of free time are always in a hurry, rude, and just a-holes in general. Please all take a look at yourself. If this describes you make an effort to relax. The bank tellers, wait staff and working people in general serving all your needs don't deserve your rude treatment of them.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

If there was still 200 yards before the intersection, he can go 30 miles an hour, but you can only do 20 miles an hour. He should have gotten in front of you and made the turn. He would’ve been far in front of you by the time the turn was made.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:18 AM

Basically you should have kept going and not slowed for the car to turn right.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

It is important to follow the rules of the road and to be predictable.

If you were traveling down the road and did not have your signal on then the car expected you to maintain speed. The car slowed so that he would turn behind you and not cut you off. Perhaps there was enough space for him to get around and turn but he wasn't sure and so he slowed. You slowing down was unpredictable and created confusion; should he slow even further to stay behind you to the point that you both stop in the street? Your unpredictable change in speed confused him and required him to make an unexpected adjustment.

Following the rules of the road and being predictable will solve many problems.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Legally the golf cart has the right of way in your described situation. Since the car slowed down they recognized your ROW and were waiting for you to cross the intersection before turning which means you held up traffic and complicated the situation by slowing down. I don’t blame you for being cautious because we have been cut-off by vehicles turning right in front of our cart. We try to watch the mirror when approaching an intersection and if a car drives up beside us we cover the brake and slow down just in case the car turns right. If the car slows to remain behind us we continue through the intersection without delay. Driving here is much different than most places because of the multi modal path interaction. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Exclamation Some golf cart drivers don’t understand how to merge into traffic.

I think some car drivers are concerned that you may pull in front of them. I’ve noticed that many golf cart drivers act like the yield sign isn’t for them. I’ve lived here for 9 years and I still can’t believe that golf carts pull in front of a 2,000 lb vehicle.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM

There is one thing I wish people in cars would remember. You have tinted windows and a person in a golf cart or on a bike or walking can't always see you motioning to them. While taking golf cart rules into consideration, if everyone in cars would just follow regular driving rules there would be less confusion and everyone would be on the same page. I can't tell you how many times I've had a stand off with a car in my golf cart when they had the right of way but were motioning for me to go and I couldn't see inside their car. I know people are just trying to be considerate and that is nice but can also cause confusion.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
I have a question regarding right-of-way when driving along a road like
St. Charles. We in the cart are 200 yards from an intersection with a car just behind us who is signaling a right turn. It slows to our rate of speed
seeming to want us to proceed through the intersection before it. We slow thinking, we not knowing the correct procedure and not wanting to encounter a large object, let the car pass. The driver of the car following the car we let turn in front of us, is upset. Did we error in our thinking? My thought is, "Defensive driving, especially in a golf cart". What's the right thing to do?
My view-the term accident is at best incorrect. Most accidents can be avoided so in many cases the proper term is a stupid act. As to the proper rules. Assuming that the other person knows the rules and will follow them is a reach. In a golf cart, an unlicensed vehicle in almost all cases the car has the right of way.

As far as some driver being annoyed. "The driver following the car we let turn in front of us, is upset." I am not sure of your whole story and I don't know you or the upset driver but I expect the upset driver is of the type who will shortly find something else to be upset about
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
The intersection ahead of us was a road to the right only and the diamond lane went right on through. We were going through the intersection and the car was turning right. In a normal traffic situation it would have been as if someone was turning right from the left lane. Just one of those TV things that depends on the drivers. If I was driving the car I would have waited for the golf cart to pass through the intersection, which caused the problem. The car slowed and so did we, thus annoying the driver following the car. We did let the car turn in front of us allowing me to observe the following drivers gesture of frustration .
You will find frustrated people no matter what you do. Best to do what keeps you the safest.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:25 AM

The driver of the car did the right thing by staying behind to make the right turn. They are supposed to let you proceed straight while they stay back to make their right turn.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

IMHO ....If you have the right of way, you should take it. I've seen too many near misses by those who yield when they should proceed.
Especially at an intersection where there are only two stop signs on the crossing streets. People without the stop sign actually stop (they must think that they are being "nice") and wave the other car (or cart) to proceed, without being aware or caring about the vehicles behind them.
Road signs are there for a purpose. Read them and obey them, and there should be an orderly and safe passage of all vehicles.
Yeah, there will always be accidents, but you can minimize them by paying attention and obeying them.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:05 AM

The car was correct to let you go thru the intersection ahead of his pending right turn in front of you.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A good rule of the road is to avoid injury by always yieldIng to anything bigger than you. If walking yield to a bike, bikes yield to golf carts, golf carts yield to cars, and cars yield to trucks. I always follow this practice regardless of what the official rules are, because many people don’t follow the legal rules and I don’t want to have to say that I had the right of way from a hospital bed.
Right... forget the formal "rules" and follow this advice !

Just had this situation: going thru Bellvedere gate by high school in golf cart, pushed button, gate up, proceeded, gate arm in auto lane is down. As I approached the first street on the right (only yards after the gate is a street that turns into a villa area on the right) I hear a ROAR and an auto that passed through the gate well after I had come through the gate absolutely FLOORED the vehicle and cut right in front of me narrowly NARROWLY missing the front of my cart ! #1 how the person even made the right hand turn without loosing all control of the car ? #2 what would possess a person to make a turn right in front of a golf cart that was less than 3-5 SECONDS from passing that street into the villas. The individual who did this was NOT driving a FIRE TRUCK of emergency vehicle. I had no idea they were even through the gate yet until the roar and wheels squealing at they turned in front of the cart ! ? Go figure ?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 AM

You had right of way. A car cannot turn in front of you in a situation like that. Hope this helps!
Closed Thread

Tags
car, cart, thinking, turn, intersection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.