golf cart seat belts (The question)

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson
Default Re: golf cart seat belts (The question)

I've been looking at seatbelts to buy but have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone will answer for me.

What is the best type of buckle...the lift lever or the push button (or does it boil down to personal preference)?

Which length is best for golf carts...60" or 74"?

If I were in TV I could go out to my cart and measure for length but since I'm doing this long distance, I want to make sure I get the right size.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
I've been looking at seatbelts to buy but have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone will answer for me.

What is the best type of buckle...the lift lever or the push button (or does it boil down to personal preference)?

Which length is best for golf carts...60" or 74"?

If I were in TV I could go out to my cart and measure for length but since I'm doing this long distance, I want to make sure I get the right size.
Can anyone help me... ???
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Can anyone help me... ???
The 60 inch is the best length, as to buckle personal preference. I like the push button buckle similar to the ones in your car. If the buckle side is too long and is installed on the outside it can drag the ground and possibility of catching the rear wheel.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Veteran member

Push button or lever action seat belts is your choice. I personally like the push button ones because they are lighter and Less likely to dent something when accidentally swung out of the way
The retractable ones contain 53" of belt plus the other end is 20" of belt so the total is 73" around. That's 6 feet of seat belt, enough for even my ummmmm large hips ;D
I think if I were to buy the non retractable pair, I would buy the 60" set
When choosing belts remember to order the bench seat, low profile version
The sets come with approved hardware and are federally approved for use in motor vehicles or golf carts
The cost for two sets ran just under $100 with shipping
Handie :joke:

Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
[center]
The retractable ones contain 53" of belt plus the other end is 20" of belt so the total is 73" around. That's 6 feet of seat belt, enough for even my ummmmm large hips ;D

Retractable belts work in golf carts?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Retractable belts work in golf carts?
Yes??
You wanna see mine?? I'm installing them in April. Mrs. Handie says falling out of the cart is not an option she wants to explore
Handie :joke:
Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 AM

In my previous life I was a driving instructor and taught students of all ages about driving safety and vehicle designs. It amazed me that most people believe that car doors are put on the car to help protect them from injury during a collision. Not true. Doors are there to hold the windows in, keep the weather out and make the car look pretty. Same with the seat belts on the golf carts. Lap belts will not protect you in some situations. A fast stop, going around a corner faster then you should just might hold you in, but in a roll over, front or rear end hit you will might coming out of the belt. Shoulder straps won't work on golf carts because the seat backs are not designed to support your backs or the belts. These carts were never designed to do anything but let you chase a little white ball around. They have no safety features for highway driving please keep that in mind when you are traveling 25 to 30 mph in those over sized engined golf carts I see more and more every day.
I personally bought both a LSV (NEV) G.E.M. for use on the road and golf course when needed as well as a regular golf cart for golfing. The electric car has shoulder straps, disc brakes and stops on a dime. It has enough weight to it that it corners nicely unlike golf carts which don't corner well at all. It is safe for highway driving and is just as safe (if not safer) then riding a bike. Some carts are so top heavy I am surprised that they don't tip over with those over sized tires some people are using. As for my golf cart I have not put seat belts in it as yet. I am still not sure that at the top speed of 18 mph I couldn't jump if I had to.
My suggestion: All three counties need to address this issue at once. Not in 6 months or a year from now. NOW! They need to come to an agreement on standard for golf carts (NOT LSV) and enforce them. They need to step up the process of giving out tickets and stop warning people about running stop signs, passing on solid white lines, breaking the speed limit (doing 30mph in a cart or better) and driving after doing the 2 for 1'ers. These are grave issues and are not being dealt with on an every day bases.
I also believe that this community should have a cart registration where by each cart is registered so that if someone is causing problems there is a way to identify that person and their cart. Right now there is no such way without taking the law into your own hands and confronting the person about the issue. That is not a good idea either. Some thoughts on these issues would be interesting too.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Sage

Boo - I can see your points and that is why i would look into a sturdier LSV. Hopefully i can find one with shoulder straps as mentioned. If i could also take it on the golf course that would be a bonus. Otherwise I'll have one for golf and one for tooling around.

Any links on where to find a more sturdy LSV that is golf course legal?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
BOMBERO

Was there a Golf Cart Safety Clinic today?
Did anyone attend?
How was it?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

I attended the clinic. Showed about a 20 minute video which primarily focused on cart safety and rules of the road. Mostly common knowledge type stuff.

Spokesperson from Club Car dealersip attended. He stated they would not install seat belts on any golf car. Golf cars are not designed for seat belts and in roll over accidents you are better off being thrown out of the golf car than remaining in it. The roof of the car has no structural integrity and will collapse and you will be upside down with the entire golf car remaining on top of you. While we can all make arguments regarding folks being thrown out of their carts on sharp turns etc. perhaps being safer if belted in, overall you are better off not having seat belts in a standard golf car as recommended by the manufacturer. Obviously an individual choice has to be made on this issue.

All speakers (two police officers, VHA rep, insurance agent, Club Car rep) stated small children should never be held in a lap by any passenger. If the child is to small to sit in a seat by themself, they should not be in a golf car. In addition, childrens car seats aren't designed for use in a golf car and they also should not be used.

The HOA has an information sheet available and I believe you can get a copy if you contact them.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Sage

I guess you'd have to weigh the odds of rolling over risk vs. sharp turn risk.

I think I'll just tool around in my scooter!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 PM
BOMBERO

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...villages01.txt

Link to a story in today's " Sun ". About yesterday's Safety Class.

There is another story on page A5 about a man being pinned under his cart. He was airlifted to Orlando with head injuries on Wed. night.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Gold member

Did I miss something? Was there anything in that article about the pros or cons of seat belts in golf carts?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Sage

The article doesn't mention the seat belt issue but bimmertl says he/she was there and gave his/her account. See the post about 4 back.

I have a question about roll-overs. I'm sure that TV'ers have seen golf cart accidents either in person or in the paper etc. How many roll overs are the type where the cart just ends up on its side rather than actually completing a complete roll where they end up on their roof? I have seen some carts (on the golf course) tip over on their side but never roll. I would think the vast majority of tips would be on the side and not on the roof.

Remember - there was a time when the 'better off being ejected' argument was used for cars until the manufacturers were forced to implement safety procedures. And most school buses still do not have belts but make no mistake that is completely a $$$ issue.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Gold member

That is without a doubt absolutely true about seat belts and school buses. Pretty outrageous, IMHO!

A friend of ours was in a minor golf cart accident Sunday morning coming back from the Polo Fields. He turned his steering wheel too sharply and actually fell out of the cart! Other than a scraped knee he was fine; the cart simply stopped in a second or so, upright.

I suspect that the likelihood of an actual rollover would involve another vehicle. Does anyone have more detailed info on golf cart accidents (other than hitting a curb or a post in the middle of the golf cart lanes)?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.