Golf cart stolen

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
apple Air Tags have been suggested, but their range is only 800 feet. Not really any value to finding a stolen cart. Glove box lock is a joke, t’s a piece of plastic. Neighbor hood watch is best deterrent. I have no solution other than insurance, and don’t keep valuables in cart.
Not true at all. People have located their missing luggage in Italy from FL and can see where my golf cart is anytime from anywhere. Their "range" is infinite as long as someone with an Apple device walks past it within a couple hundredfeet and the battery remains good which is around 8-12 months. It's exactly like the "Find My" app on an iPhone. I guess you aren't an iPhone user.

Just one example of thousands: https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...airtags-theft/
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 08-01-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Sorry. I invested in 4 Apple Air Tags. One each hidden in our golf bags and the cart. Last is used for luggage. Peace of mind just in case.
How to the Apple Air Tags work?
Old 08-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amohernyikes View Post
How to the Apple Air Tags work?
AirTag - Apple
Old 08-01-2022, 07:05 PM

Sorry that happened to you. Seems like a GPS locator hidden somewhere out of sight on the golf cart might have been a good idea.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
If it was an enclosed trailer no one would see it!!!
I’d they got enough money for enclosed trailer why steal old golf cart. O wait, maybe the stole the enclosed trailer also…
Old 08-05-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Not true at all. People have located their missing luggage in Italy from FL and can see where my golf cart is anytime from anywhere. Their "range" is infinite as long as someone with an Apple device walks past it within a couple hundredfeet and the battery remains good which is around 8-12 months. It's exactly like the "Find My" app on an iPhone. I guess you aren't an iPhone user.

Just one example of thousands: https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...airtags-theft/
You have to have someone walk real close to the air tag with an Iphone. I have one on my dog but my yard is 6 acres. I can be 100 feet from my dog and see her and the tracking on my phone still can't fine her.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNY61 View Post
You have to have someone walk real close to the air tag with an Iphone. I have one on my dog but my yard is 6 acres. I can be 100 feet from my dog and see her and the tracking on my phone still can't fine her.
That's because you don't have a lot of people walking around your 6 acre plot! That is not the purpose of an Air Tag or how it works. There needs to be people with iPhones or iPads walking around the area which is how the signal gets picked up and sent to "the cloud" where FIND MY can locate it. . If the dog escapes out into a populated town and someone grabbed it you'd most likely be able to locate it because there are likely many iPhones nearby. If the air tag is in the middle of nowhere without iPhone/ipad "traffic" nearby it obviously won't work. Generally speaking the chances are a stolen golf cart will pass multiple "I"devices or always be in range of one if the thief has one. My kids had no problem locating their luggage on a flight back from Italy. They watched it go off the plane and through the airport. I can see my golf cart from anywhere it parked. If my wife is driving it I can watch it travel (heh heh) all around TV because there are zillions of iPhone/ipads in the area.

Bottom line is: the range on AirTags is functionally infinite as long as there's an iPhone passing nearby. It's not going to track your dog running on your land without people constantly around. For that you'd need a GPS tracker but for a car or golf cart or luggage these thing work great and at $29 are a lot cheaper than GPS trackers with monthly fees.

Interesting "pro/con" article:

https://screenrant.com/apple-airtag-...ach-explained/

From the above linked article:
While these trackers (others listed in above article) have AirTag handily beat on the Bluetooth side of things, it's important to remember that AirTag is the only tracker that connects to the Find My network. If anyone with a modern Apple device is near a lost AirTag, that's enough to alert the AirTag owner of its exact location. Considering the hundreds of millions of Apple devices that power the Find My network, that's a pretty considerable advantage.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 08-06-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
driveway, golf, ser#, odd, police

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.