Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2020, 08:04 AM

Never say never but getting a ticket for 22-23mph in a golf cart seems excessive. Even if your cart is set to 20mph there will be times when it can exceed that speed for a brief period of time. These are mechanically limited and engine output can/will vary depending on a lot of factors.

Getting a ticket for 28-30mph seems more than warranted and I can't say I have much sympathy if that is the case here.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Default Boatorgolf

Retired ! Just follow the rules and slow down. There are reasons for the rules. Sit on my front porch and watch the near misses between cars, golf maintenance equipment, carts, and pedestrians !
Lakewood Drive ☹️
Old 02-07-2020, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatorgolf View Post
Retired ! Just follow the rules and slow down. There are reasons for the rules. Sit on my front porch and watch the near misses between cars, golf maintenance equipment, carts, and pedestrians !
Lakewood Drive ☹️

Doesn't any simpler than that
Old 02-07-2020, 08:53 AM

I'm surprised they are going after golf cars when automobiles are cruising at 45 up and down morse, bv, and warm springs all day long.

I can't say I don't push it myself but, personally, I remember "don't do the crime if you can't do the time"
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 AM

They give most females warnings as long as they have not used drugs or alcohol but most males get ticketed.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 AM

This accident was precipitated by the cart driver suffering a stroke before the accident.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Why? I personally don't see the capital offense in driving a cart at 20.1 mph, while it is getting passed by a car going 45 and hanging 2 feet over the white line. Can anyone spell "fundraiser"?
No! People modify the carts to go faster and so if they get caught going over 20, it’s a good thing! I wonder if the street legal carts all go faster than 20mph?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:11 AM

Golf carts going faster than 20mph is just plain dangerous, there not designed to go fast, steering, suspension, small tires all makes them very unsafe at speeds above 20
Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Street Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbner2805 View Post
No! People modify the carts to go faster and so if they get caught going over 20, it’s a good thing! I wonder if the street legal carts all go faster than 20mph?

Street legal speed is up to 24.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:51 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
I'm surprised they are going after golf cars when automobiles are cruising at 45 up and down morse, bv, and warm springs all day long.

I can't say I don't push it myself but, personally, I remember "don't do the crime if you can't do the time"
Yes, especially some of the vendors with huge trucks and some pulling trailers speeding through neighborhoods. Very dangerous.

There is a difference though with golf cart speeding. When you speed a little in a car it is already licensed, insured, and has a lot of safety equipment. Golf carts are not licensed, many are not insured (which is just stupid), and have very little safety equipment. That’s because they are built with the idea that they won’t be exceeding about 18mph (even though the speed limit is 20). So when you speed in a golf cart you are risking a lot and endangering others who are not.

On another note, I have a street legal LSV cart and it can do 25 tops, maybe 27 downhill. The extra cost IS NOT worth it here. I do not feel safe when driving it on the streets and end up just keeping to the golf cart lanes and 20mph anyway. Once in a while I’ll take a round-about to save time going out of the way to the tunnels, but I am nervous as heck the whole time. When I have taken the streets, the amount of time I save is very little, and in some cases it takes longer! When I do 25-27 on the golf cart paths (which could still get me a speeding ticket) I also don’t really save that much time, may a minute or two at most on the farthest drives. So 1) do not waste your money on street legal here, and 2) keep to 20mph, there is NO reason to speed. It saves you little and risks tickets, injury, or worse.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:05 AM

Happy someone is getting golf cart speeders. Yes, the speed is still slow but when someone speeds up behind you and passes only to cut back in abruptly it is dangerous and frightening. Why are so many in such a hurry?
Old 02-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

In my opinion, modifying your golf cart to go above 20 mph is a very dangerous and bad idea. I have been passed by some people that seem to have a death wish. On the other hand, people that insist on driving long stretches going well below 20 mph are equally as dangerous. I have often observed several frustrated carts getting stuck behind very slow drivers, resulting in people tailgating and dangerously passing the slow driver. Why can’t people simply have their carts set to max out at the legal speed limit and drive with the pedal to the floor on wide open safe stretches?
Old 02-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

I've got friends who insist that they've been told by "folks in the know" or "mechanics that work for The VIllages golf cart shops" that the speed limit for golf carts has been raised to 25 mph and have had their governors adjusted accordingly. I talked to a sheriff about that at one of those government open house events and he said that they most definitely have NOT raised the speed limit; that the limit is still 20 mph and is set by the state, NOT by The Villages. When I'm zipping along at 20 mph (I have a speedometer) on the multipurpose paths and I have golf carts go flying by me, I do wonder why they aren't getting stopped and ticketed more often (or at all). But then I drive the speed limit in my car too so maybe I'm just weird that way.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
...When I'm zipping along at 20 mph (I have a speedometer) on the multipurpose paths and I have golf carts go flying by me, I do wonder why they aren't getting stopped and ticketed more often (or at all). But then I drive the speed limit in my car too so maybe I'm just weird that way.
Good for you.

But if you drive the speed limit in your car, you must be getting passed by lots of cars that aren’t getting ticketed too.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I wonder how many engines fail after being tinkered with ?...I hear a few screaming

Tags
cart, golf, stopped, charles, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.