Golf Cart Traffic Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=John_W;637220]However, a car has a speedometer. a non street legal golf cart is not equipped with a speedometer. Golf cart operators for the most part have to go the after market route to get a speedometer. If someone with a golf cart that hasn't been tinkered with to exceed 19.9 and they have no speedometer, I would think any form of speeding ticket could be thrown out. Especially if the cart is gasoline, since only electric carts are allowed to be street legal, that would eliminate the unregistered vehicle statue.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Much ado---about nothing..

The Sheriff isn't going after speeding golf carts, he has much bigger fish to catch.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Still waiting to hear from someone who received a ticket while driving a golf cart. I'm starting to think this is another urban legend.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Sage

I looked at posts on the same subject in the history of TOTV.

"I just came from a District 6 meeting at which the Sumter County Sherriff’s Dept. presented the golf cart citations issued between Aug 11th and Oct 11th. There were 64 citations in all, 9 for Ran Stop Sign, 1 for Possession of Open Container – Driver, and 56 for No Motor Vehicle Registration. The No Motor Vehicle Registration meant that the non-street legal golf cart was operated in excess of 20mph while on public road – path portion or otherwise. The citation requires a court appearance. In general, offenders are required to demonstrate to the judge that repairs have been made to limit the cart’s speed to 20mph and pay court costs of $250. At the judge’s discretion, the several hundred dollar fine is waived."
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

When was the last time you saw a cop with a speed trap set up on a golf cart trail?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
When was the last time you saw a cop with a speed trap set up on a golf cart trail?
My understanding is that the multi-model paths are private property and law enforcement are not allow to ticket carts there. I believe there are some instances where they are allowed to ticket [ie obvious drunk driving], but speeding is not one of them....yet

Haven't read anything about this in a while, so I might be wrong.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
However, a car has a speedometer. a non street legal golf cart is not equipped with a speedometer. Golf cart operators for the most part have to go the after market route to get a speedometer. If someone with a golf cart that hasn't been tinkered with to exceed 19.9 and they have no speedometer, I would think any form of speeding ticket could be thrown out. Especially if the cart is gasoline, since only electric carts are allowed to be street legal, that would eliminate the unregistered vehicle statue.

I believe the law was recently amended to include gasoline carts.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

so far we have 3 pages of comments and not 1 actual instance of someone getting a ticket for a violation while driving a golf cart? this seems really strange.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
so far we have 3 pages of comments and not 1 actual instance of someone getting a ticket for a violation while driving a golf cart? this seems really strange.
From a prior thread.

Sumter county golf cart citations 8/1-10/11
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM

My father-in-law received a ticket while driving his golf cart for going through a stop sign, coming out of the "hole in the wall" near the Savannah Center. Sheriff on a motorcycle waiting near the speed bumps. I don't remember the exact amount of the ticket, but it was in the hundreds.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Gold member

I believe you can be ticketed when you are in the marked cart lanes on the streets.
The streets are public property.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Well judging from some of the comments we have quite a few nebies here. A cart legally modified to exceed 19.9 mph meaning it is registered as a motor vehicle insured and has he necessary safety equip can travel streets posted no more than 35mph. the street legal can go 25mph.

However a cart gas or electric not registered as a vehicle cannot go above 19.9 mph. if the art exceeds 19.9 an LOE can ticket the driver for driving a vehicle nto regitered as a vehcile since it can exceed 19.9. In addition to the ticket the driver/owner is rwequired to take the cart to a repair shop and adjust the cart so it cannot exceed 19.9 mph.

There have been times in the past when the sheriff set up stations on the cart paths to issue ticketd. This created a lot of discussion as to their right to issue tickets on private property (cart paths). I have not seen a sheriff stationed on a cartpath for sometime. so I am not certain if they cannot or if they OE to set up traps on Morse, Belverdere, etc and ticketcars for exceeding the post limit and golf carts that exceed 19.9 mph for driving a nonregistered vehicle. It does happen and those skeptics should keep a wary eye out for LOE if you have a non-registered cart that excceds 19.9.

What I am not certain of is what legally happens when a street legal cart travels 25mph on a cart path?

For all of the above and for the sake of safety I cut my power back to 19.9mph and delighted i did so
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

a week ago, maybe it was two, I saw a golf cart pulled over on Belevdere by a motorcycle cop.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
The police do not have authority on the Multi-Modal trails (golf cart trails) since that is private property. They do have authority on the streets of The Villages.

However, the Developer has given police permission to cite carts on the Multi-Modal trails for drunken driving or endangerment if they see it. Get into a cart accident on one of the Multi-Modal trails and you do call the police.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

An oblivious golf cart driver was on Buena Vista travelling south from the roundabout at Bonita, and going towards Odell Circle (Lake Miona Rec Ctr) and he was not a street legal cart. And of course there were no police around. Am I overly critical in assuming that golf cart drivers should be as accountable for their driving habits as those of us in an automobile?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.