Golf Cart Traffic Tickets

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Gold member

I asked the same question about golf cart tickets,a while back and nobody came forth. They have better things to do. If you are acting like a jerk ,sitting in your golf cart drinking you could get a ticket. However know of no one. I always park and have a couple of beers and listen to the music,and have never had a problem. I even sat there talking to police,drinking a beer and nothing "ever" came up in the discussion.Just "chillin" and having a beer.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Just a heads up on the speedometer issue. When I'm in TV for my two months each year I use an APP called Limiteur (free). It is totally accurate and reliable, at least it is for me. YES, I did test it in a cart that also had a after market speedometer. It works on smart phones. Hope this helps someone.
Irish
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Gold member
Cool You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
My understanding is that the multi-model paths are private property and law enforcement are not allow to ticket carts there. I believe there are some instances where they are allowed to ticket [ie obvious drunk driving], but speeding is not one of them....yet

Haven't read anything about this in a while, so I might be wrong.
Vehicle regulations do not apply to multi modal pathways and exempt from county or State regulations.. Law enforcement has authority only on the streets but this does include the marked golf cart lanes. Also remember when crossing a street from the Multi Modal pathways you are fair game.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Gold member
Smile lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I asked the same question about golf cart tickets,a while back and nobody came forth. They have better things to do. If you are acting like a jerk ,sitting in your golf cart drinking you could get a ticket. However know of no one. I always park and have a couple of beers and listen to the music,and have never had a problem. I even sat there talking to police,drinking a beer and nothing "ever" came up in the discussion.Just "chillin" and having a beer.
Just because you weren't approached about the drinking while sitting in your cart in no way means that what you were doing was legal.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
so far we have 3 pages of comments and not 1 actual instance of someone getting a ticket for a violation while driving a golf cart? this seems really strange.
I know someone that got a ticket. Does that count?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Sage

Nope - heresay.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Nope - heresay.
What if I have an affidavit?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Ignorance of the laws is not an excuse. Carts have brakes, when going down hill you could always use them
Yea right! How do you know you are exceeding the speed limit in a cart without a speedometer? If ignorance of the law is no excuse how is it that lawyer offices and judges chambers are wall to wall law books? Don't they know all the laws as we are suppose to??????
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Just because you weren't approached about the drinking while sitting in your cart in no way means that what you were doing was legal.
So are you saying the police ignored the matter?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
I know someone that got a ticket. Does that count?
Please tell us about it.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Gold member
Smile Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Yea right! How do you know you are exceeding the speed limit in a cart without a speedometer? If ignorance of the law is no excuse how is it that lawyer offices and judges chambers are wall to wall law books? Don't they know all the laws as we are suppose to??????
The cops will gladly inform you just how fast you were going as they write out the ticket It's no big deal to have a speedometer installed..
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
The police do not have authority on the Multi-Modal trails (golf cart trails) since that is private property. They do have authority on the streets of The Villages.

However, the Developer has given police permission to cite carts on the Multi-Modal trails for drunken driving or endangerment if they see it. Get into a cart accident on one of the Multi-Modal trails and you do call the police.
I'm sort of laughing at how seriously my comment has been answered by a couple of posters. I was being sarcastic. I know full well that you're not going to see a cop set up with a radar gun sitting by the side of the golf cart trail What would he use as a chase car? A Smart?? No..probably not..A golf cart can go faster than a Smart!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I'm sort of laughing at how seriously my comment has been answered by a couple of posters. I was being sarcastic. I know full well that you're not going to see a cop set up with a radar gun sitting by the side of the golf cart trail What would he use as a chase car? A Smart?? No..probably not..A golf cart can go faster than a Smart!
I've seen Motorcycle cops on golf cart trails more than once!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Default Received ticket in golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
I would like to hear from someone you actually got a ticket.
My father-in-law received a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign while driving a golf cart. He had just come through the "hole in the wall" near the Savannah Center and a motorcycle sheriff was waiting near the speed bumps. Don't remember the exact amount of the fine, but it was in the hundreds.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Actually, the police do have a GEM car set up with lights and all that I have
seen in The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.