Golf Cart turn signals (blinkers NOT hands signals). Outlaw them completely.

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Golf Cart turn signals (blinkers NOT hands signals). Outlaw them completely.

This may look or sound like a troll post but it really isn't meant to be. More like a rant and a safety warning. Having turn signals on golf carts is, in reality is both useless and dangerous.

At this point when I see a golf cart with a turn signal on when (for example) I am pulling out of my street or any street either in my cart or my car and the cart coming towards me has his right signal on the chances of him ACTUALLY taking a right turn is probably 80% which means if I pull out there is a 20% chance he (or she) is going to t-bone me.

I see this time after time. One has to assume the turn signals on the cart are on by mistake and assume the cart is going straight regardless of his signal. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone but even assuming 5% of them are on by mistake it makes it dangerous to assume ANY are actually turning when they are signalling.

What bought this on was today while walkng from Amelia to LSL (down O'Dell then on the Morse MMP to LSL) my wife and I counted FIVE CARTS on the O'Dell and Morse MMP passing by us with forever on turn signals out of probably 15 or 20.

So what good is having a turn signal if you can't trust it? Better that NO CART has one. I mean the number of signals left on for literally miles is amazing. YES, CARS DO IT AS WELL but very rarely do I see a car driving with endless turn signals (although sometimes they turn them on about 1/2 mile before the turn!

At least if NO ONE used them you would HAVE to wait until the cart either turned or passed. Yea, I know it is impossible to retroactively remove them all but everyone may as well not use them as they are totally worthless if they can't be "trusted" 98% of the time.

Hand signals (if you know them) are fine but stop using those useless "blinkers."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Good point. That's why I got self cancelling.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Not to blame our seasonal residents, but I have seen a lot more carts driving with their signals on as our seasonal resident population has increased. They 1) do not realize the signals are not self-cancelling, 2) cannot hear the signal beeping over the cart motor. What surprises me are the number of “younger” drivers driving with the signal on. I am not talking about teenagers…
Old 12-05-2021, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,507 Posts
Default Agree.

Golf cart blinkers are a nice idea that hasn't made the grade. They are typically non-cancelling, tiny after thoughts that transmit a dangerous lie to those waiting to see if the cart is really going to turn or not.
I never pull out in front of an approaching cart, blinker or not. They absolutely cannot be trusted. Sorry, ****ed off driver behind me honking. I will not let you try to intimidate me into a potential accident, and shame on you for ever thinking you have the right to do so.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Sorry, ****ed off driver behind me honking. I will not let you try to intimidate me into a potential accident, and shame on you for ever thinking you have the right to do so.
Exactly what happens. I am always tempted to wave them by and then let them get waffled.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Not to blame our seasonal residents, but I have seen a lot more carts driving with their signals on as our seasonal resident population has increased.
For us, and since we walk every day, it is just as bad all year but the best chuckle is when you see a group of 3 all with "forever signals." on trucking down the MMP.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have self cancelling on one cart and lights in front of our face blinking on the other cart to remind us to turn them off. When pulling out I always figure people are going straight so I wait.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I don't ever trust turn signals on any vehicle until I see them actually commit to turning. Also the self canceling mechanism for signals on carts are finicky and sometimes need to be adjusted or replaced.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:05 PM

Wine wine wine
Old 12-05-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
I don't ever trust turn signals on any vehicle until I see them actually commit to turning. Also the self canceling mechanism for signals on carts are finicky and sometimes need to be adjusted or replaced.
ABSOLUTELY! If you are at all familiar with the villages, give golf carts a wide birth and just give them a break if you're in a car or another golf cart.
If in doubt, wait it out! There should be some legal requirements for people selling golf carts for the Villages to have signals that are too obvious to leave on after the turn. Our cart has lights in the side mirrors that don't always suffice. After a few hundred more hours behind the wheel of the cart I might always remember to turn it off after the turn.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

This is some major first world problems.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
This is some major first world problems.
Yea. Especially if you get hit by a Mack Truck.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,507 Posts
Default Who sang that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Wine wine wine
"You make me feel so fine. You keep me rocking all of the time".
Old 12-05-2021, 11:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We have self cancelling on one cart and lights in front of our face blinking on the other cart to remind us to turn them off. When pulling out I always figure people are going straight so I wait.
Self-cancel is great but are meaningless to resolve this issue because if many others never shut them off whether yours does or doesn't won't resolve the general problem.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Wine wine wine
LOL,you might want to check this out first before attemting to make an intelligent comment like that Homophones| Merriam-Webster. I assume you mean WHINE ... or maybe not because all that WINE can get you killed when driving.
Closed Thread

Tags
turn, signals, cart, signal, assume

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.