Golf cart usage

Old 02-29-2024, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I haven't kept track. But I use my golf cart for almost everything that can be accessed via golf cart in The Villages. Unless the weather's bad, or if driving home will involve being blinded by the sun as it sets. We did do some actual testing, and it turned out that it takes less time to get from Orange Blossom Country Club to Spanish Springs Town Square by golf cart, than it takes by car. And of course the Plaza Grande West shopping plaza is right next door to the square, and the Target plaza is right next to that. The convenience of /not/ having to deal with traffic on 441 makes it worth the extra few minutes getting from the Square to Petco.

I also sometimes take the cart alllllll the way down to Brownwood when there's a festival I want to see. And now that I know how to get to Edna's, I'll be taking the cart next time. I also go to my dentist and most of my doctors via golf cart. It's much more relaxing and the ride can be actually enjoyable.

Most weeks - I average around 8 hours of driving, round trip. Some weeks not even an hour, some weeks 15 or more. Really depends on what's going on from one week to another, the weather conditions, and whether or not I'm in a hurry (which is rare, these days).
That is interesting and it is really nice that a golf cart works so well for you. I don't have my own golf cart, but several years ago I would ride with a friend for a trip about 2 miles there and back. I remember difficulty having a conversation with the noise from the engine. I also remember it seemed like the suspension amplified the bumps and vibration. I remember when we got out after 2 miles that my legs felt a little weak from the vibration. That did go away quickly. After a while I decided to take my car instead.
.......I guess that I am saying this because it is interesting that 2 different people can have such a difference in the golf cart experience. More power to you!
Old 02-29-2024, 12:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
An electric cart should be considered because they have the advantages of being cheaper to operate per mile and they are more reliable due to fewer parts in the engine.
Until you need to charge on the road

Quote:
Also, the driver and passengers of a gas cart have to put up with the NOISE because they have minimal mufflers and NO catalytic converters. People walking by have to put up with the SMELL and pollution in their lungs.
I am not sure what golf cart you ride in, but i have great conversations in my 2 seater and 4 seater gas golf cart

Quote:
..........Unfortunately, most people don't bother to think through the advantages and disadvantages.
If there’s one thing you can’t accuse Villagers of, it’s thinking through the advantages and disadvantages.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs317 View Post
Have one since 2018 gas. In the beginning I had all intentions of riding all over TV but after the first year that wore off. I use for golf and an occasional trip to Brownwood or Magnolia plaza but a car is much easier and, IMO, safer.
I agree about the safety. I think that a golf cart is DESIGNED for the golf course. (Gee that's not rocket science) I think that the center of gravity is too high for street use and many people get the extra large wheels, which makes the center of gravity higher. Then some people cheat and jack up the governor for greater speed, (there is virtually NO enforcement by Police) The suspensions are NOT made for this greater speed and high center of gravity. When drivers take the corners too fast, they have the wheels lift up and can lose control.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
We fell into the golf cart community mentality and regret it. Hardly ever use it and less than a year later we have a used gas Yamaha I want to get out of our garage
That's interesting. Good to know that there are some dissenting opinions.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
More reliable? I don't see how. My gas cart is 10 years old, has 2000 hours and 37,000 miles with no issues. The Yamaha engines are bullet proof and I have never heard of anyone having an engine issue. I do know people who have had electric motor failures in their electric golf carts. My electric cart has had no issues either but is much younger. Time will tell. More charging stations? There aren't any charging stations around here nor is there a need for any. Recharge at night and when your batteries get weak then replace them. You can only gain about 5 miles of range per hour of charging so charging away from home is totally impractical. Regarding noise, my gas cart is pretty quiet. Most of the noise is tire and wind noise. Regarding cost, if you actually looked at the numbers you would find the cost per mile is pretty close. The fuel cost and maintenance is higher for gas carts but battery replacement costs equal it all out. Regarding what most people think about, you have no clue. People make decisions based on what is best for them and it is the height of hubris to suggest that you know better.
I did NOT suggest that I know better. I stated that people can look into the advantages and disadvantages (and decide for themselves). Gas golf carts are very popular NOW in the villages. That could change in the future as battery technology is improved and more charging stations are developed. Anytime anyone suggests CHANGE, there will be naysayers. Tesla is pretty successful........how is that explained? ..........Anyway, I contend that E golf carts are cheaper to operate per mile. I also said that the electrical engine has fewer parts than a piston engine.........that can NOT be debated. And I could have said that the E-golf cart engine moves in a circle as opposed to the piston engine that SLAPS around going up and down. Then must be converted to rotary motion for the wheels. AND I don't understand why NOISE is highlighted because that CAN'T be debated. The E-cart is OBVIOUSLY quieter.
............I can understand why many people choose gas carts if they need to drive LONG DISTANCE with the current battery technology and charging stations. I just see advantages for E-carts for shorter distances and I see future advancement in E-vehicles. The more E-vehicles in use the greater the independence for the US.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
... I don't have my own golf cart, but several years ago I would ride with a friend for a trip about 2 miles there and back. ...
This says ALL I need to know about your multiple and myriad musings on the topic in this thread.

Not an unreasonable flow of logic that it likely pertains to many of the thoughts and opinions espoused on other more (ahem) controversial topics.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 02-29-2024 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Edited for civility
Old 02-29-2024, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
That is interesting and it is really nice that a golf cart works so well for you. I don't have my own golf cart, but several years ago I would ride with a friend for a trip about 2 miles there and back. I remember difficulty having a conversation with the noise from the engine. I also remember it seemed like the suspension amplified the bumps and vibration. I remember when we got out after 2 miles that my legs felt a little weak from the vibration. That did go away quickly. After a while I decided to take my car instead.
.......I guess that I am saying this because it is interesting that 2 different people can have such a difference in the golf cart experience. More power to you!
So you don't even own a golf cart, yet you continually tell others which type of cart to purchase? Unbelievable...

As to your "weak legs", your friend probably had an older cart. The newer Yamahas are much quieter, have a much better suspension where the bumps are most certainly NOT amplified...

And out of curiosity, is your car an EV, or is it GAS, which, as you know, is DESTROYING the environment?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-29-2024, 03:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
If I can go by golf cart I go by golf cart. I enjoy the driving slower than a car because you can enjoy the sights, sounds, beauty, fragrances, etc. Some people don’t like to because they fear the traffic.

Here are ideas of distances and time for me:
Golf Cart Travel:
Walmart on 441 - 8.9 miles, 36 minutes
Walmart on 466 - 8.7 miles, 30 minutes
Walmart at Colony - 1.5 miles, 6 minutes
Winn Dixie at LSL - 3.3 miles, 12 minutes
Spanish Springs Town Square - 6.5 miles, 23 minutes
LSL Town Square - 3.7 miles, 13 minutes
Brownwood Town Square - 6.7 miles, 24 minutes
Edna’s - 10.1 miles, 35 minutes
Randy’s - 13.22 miles, 44 minutes
Fenney Grill - 13.8 miles, 50 minutes
Fenney Grill to Mulberry Grove Rec Ctr - 22.4 miles, 1 hr, 27 minutes
Dabney @ Chandler Dr/CR-470 to Mulberry
Grove Rec Ctr - 27.1 miles, 1 hr, 38 minutes
Fenney Grill to Brownwood- 7.2 miles, 26 minutes
Dabney - Chandler Dr/CR-470 - 11.9 miles, 37 minutes
Cane Garden CC via O’Dell - 3.96 miles via Morse/Bonita - 3.92 miles

Carpe Diem!
Wow! Great chart. I think I will work on one for my own location.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
We fell into the golf cart community mentality and regret it. Hardly ever use it and less than a year later we have a used gas Yamaha I want to get out of our garage
What are the specs of the cart and how much do you want for it?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-29-2024, 03:09 PM
Sage

So, you don't own any golf cart, yet you choose to lecture others. I think I got it now. If you reread my post, you will see that I actually own a gas golf cart and an electric golf cart so you lecturing me is silly. Regarding independence for the US, that is a myth. Much of the world's battery production and materials for battery production comes from China. Do you realize that the "pistons slap around" in your gas car?

Quote:
I did NOT suggest that I know better. I stated that people can look into the advantages and disadvantages (and decide for themselves). Gas golf carts are very popular NOW in the villages. That could change in the future as battery technology is improved and more charging stations are developed. Anytime anyone suggests CHANGE, there will be naysayers. Tesla is pretty successful........how is that explained? ..........Anyway, I contend that E golf carts are cheaper to operate per mile. I also said that the electrical engine has fewer parts than a piston engine.........that can NOT be debated. And I could have said that the E-golf cart engine moves in a circle as opposed to the piston engine that SLAPS around going up and down. Then must be converted to rotary motion for the wheels. AND I don't understand why NOISE is highlighted because that CAN'T be debated. The E-cart is OBVIOUSLY quieter.
............I can understand why many people choose gas carts if they need to drive LONG DISTANCE with the current battery technology and charging stations. I just see advantages for E-carts for shorter distances and I see future advancement in E-vehicles. The more E-vehicles in use the greater the independence for the US.

Last edited by biker1; 02-29-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:11 PM
Sage

I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
So you don't even own a golf cart, yet you continually tell others which type of cart to purchase? Unbelievable...

As to your "weak legs", your friend probably had an older cart. The newer Yamahas are much quieter, have a much better suspension where the bumps are most certainly NOT amplified...

And out of curiosity, is your car an EV, or is it GAS, which, as you know, is DESTROYING the environment?
Old 02-29-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
So, you don't own any golf cart, yet you choose to lecture others. I think I got it now. If you reread my post, you will see that I actually own a gas golf cart and an electric golf cart so you lecturing me is silly. Regarding independence for the US, that is a myth. Much of the world's battery production and materials for battery production comes from China. Do you realize that the "pistons slap around" in your gas car?
My thoughts exactly. She doesn't own or like a cart but wants to give advice on cart ownership. Her comments are laughable, uninformed, and out of touch with reality.

We love our cart and use it all we can. Love the fresh air and slower pace.
As far as safety goes, I don't feel it's anymore risky than a car.
Lets face it, there's no shortage of ****ty drivers here. Pick your pioson
Old 02-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,649 Times in 3,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
If I can go by golf cart I go by golf cart. I enjoy the driving slower than a car because you can enjoy the sights, sounds, beauty, fragrances, etc. Some people don’t like to because they fear the traffic.

Here are ideas of distances and time for me:
Golf Cart Travel:
Walmart on 441 - 8.9 miles, 36 minutes
Walmart on 466 - 8.7 miles, 30 minutes
Walmart at Colony - 1.5 miles, 6 minutes
Winn Dixie at LSL - 3.3 miles, 12 minutes
Spanish Springs Town Square - 6.5 miles, 23 minutes
LSL Town Square - 3.7 miles, 13 minutes
Brownwood Town Square - 6.7 miles, 24 minutes
Edna’s - 10.1 miles, 35 minutes
Randy’s - 13.22 miles, 44 minutes
Fenney Grill - 13.8 miles, 50 minutes
Fenney Grill to Mulberry Grove Rec Ctr - 22.4 miles, 1 hr, 27 minutes
Dabney @ Chandler Dr/CR-470 to Mulberry
Grove Rec Ctr - 27.1 miles, 1 hr, 38 minutes
Fenney Grill to Brownwood- 7.2 miles, 26 minutes
Dabney - Chandler Dr/CR-470 - 11.9 miles, 37 minutes
Cane Garden CC via O’Dell - 3.96 miles via Morse/Bonita - 3.92 miles

Carpe Diem!
Walmart on 441 for me by car:
Come down Paradise, past the "back road golf-cart-only gate" to the Boone gate. Wait behind a guy going straight til the light turns green. Take a right, and get stuck at the next light for 3 minutes. Then get stuck at the NEXT light for 3 minutes. Then get stuck in traffic, and stuck two lights later for three minutes until finally I can get into their parking lot. Total time: around 15 minutes. Total distance: 2 miles. Traffic Frustration Factor: 10/10

Walmart on 441 for me by golf cart:
Come down Paradise, take a right to, and go through, the "back road golf-cart-only gate." Take a right onto the side road and go to the end. Quick right and left at BJ's, then left and right at the end of that block. Go through the next three parking lots, then right onto the golf cart path behind Aldi's. Number of traffic lights: 0. Time stuck in traffic: maybe 2 minutes total. Total time: 10 minutes. Total distance: 2 miles. Traffic Frustration Factor: 3/10

Spanish Springs Town Square by car:
Out the Boone Gate, sit in left lane until light turns green. Continue waiting for the idiot coming toward you who came from the left turn only lane but you KNEW he was gonna go straight because Flori-Duh. Hopefully the light isn't red again, and you can take that left onto 441. Then right onto Main Street and try to find a parking space. Total time: 8 minutes. Total distance: 1.6 miles

Spanish Springs Town Square by golf cart:
Pass the Boone Gate all the way to the end of Paradise, get on the cart path and veer right to cross over 441 on the golf cart bridge. Park. Total time: 6 minutes. Total distance: 1.2 miles

Life is so much more joyful by golf cart. Instead of observing the world as I drive through it, I participate in it.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,223 Times in 576 Posts

I don't even see that goofs posts until someone quotes him. He has stated in the past that sitting by the computer and posting here is all he does.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
I don't even see that goofs posts until someone quotes him. He has stated in the past that sitting by the computer and posting here is all he does.
I'm just regularly stunned by how completely head-in-the-clouds lacking of any common sense and how wholly devoid of logical progression analysis some people can be.

The utter sheltered naiveté combined with lack of self-awareness leaves me gobsmacked on regular occasion.

Not blocking him allows me to enjoy this sense of stunned wonder over and over again. The gift that keeps on giving.

Tags
golf, cart, shopping, discussions, factors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.