Golf cart VS automobile right of way?!?!

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2018, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Golf cart VS automobile right of way?!?!

We all know at roadway and MMP/golf cart intersections the automobile has the right of way....right?

There are many that do not know or understand the law on this subject. Almost every day, in my golf cart, at such intersections I am waived through by an auto driver.

I happen to be one who will not go and just wave back. Most auto drivers wave again like,,,,no you go. I shake my head and fold my arms....they usually display being upset in one way or another......and then there are the horn blowers behind me. I wave and wish them good morning/afternoon/etc. It seems like an authority contest....sometimes

Please remind your friends/relatives/visitors to not stop and wave golf carts through. One they are breaking the law. Second, other vehicular traffic may not be aware and third it sets up a danger on the vehicular roadway.

This was in the dot com news this morning and triggered this reminder.

There I have done my good deed for today...right?
Old 05-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We all know at roadway and MMP/golf cart intersections the automobile has the right of way....right?

There are many that do not know or understand the law on this subject. Almost every day, in my golf cart, at such intersections I am waived through by an auto driver.

I happen to be one who will not go and just wave back. Most auto drivers wave again like,,,,no you go. I shake my head and fold my arms....they usually display being upset in one way or another......and then there are the horn blowers behind me. I wave and wish them good morning/afternoon/etc. It seems like an authority contest....sometimes

Please remind your friends/relatives/visitors to not stop and wave golf carts through. One they are breaking the law. Second, other vehicular traffic may not be aware and third it sets up a danger on the vehicular roadway.

Thank you for posting this - Unfortunately, this happens regularly at the Polo Ridge Gate when coming off BV. We have been behind someone who is holding up a line of traffic snaking back onto BV while they let golf carts cross the gate. Very dangerous.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 AM

Well Said!

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 05-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Sadly...this scenario happens all too frequently.

While the auto driver 'thinks' they are being courteous, they are simply creating a hazard that should a collision occur...will result in the golf cart driver being at fault.

In almost all cases, if the 'courteous auto driver' would just continue through the gate/road as normal...the cart que will clear much quicker.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Sage

It's againest the law..plain and simple! We see folks doing this fairly regularily! Also NOT stopping at the stop signs, NOT yielding at the yield signs as well as tinkering with their carts so they go faster than it is designed for. These folks, the latter ones at least, think that the law doesn't apply to them.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Sage

The MMP to hell is paved with good intentions and a few speed bumps..

Last edited by tomwed; 05-10-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

///
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The MMP to hell is paved with good intentions.
And those in a hurry...to get there.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Yes! Spot on... I do exactly the same thing as you and have been cursed at! Oh my!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

The biggest problem in my opinion is the indecision it places in the minds of the cart drivers. Do I go or do I yield? If I am allowed the right of way three times in a row and on the fourth occasion I assume (wrongly) that the car will yield, I not only cause the accident, but am likely to be hurt or even killed.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:07 AM

I’ve had the passenger wave me on and not the driver. Ah No
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Platinum member

I usually communicate my desire to wait it out with an exaggerated voicing of a two word phrase starting with a labiodental fricative. Even the most novice of lip readers can usually comprehend my declination. I would rather be thought to be a vulgarian than to be expire whilst benefiting from someone's misguided courtesy.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Sage

so simple-have signage "Do Not Wave on Carts"
Old 05-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Drivers don't read existing signs.......................
Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
so simple-have signage "Do Not Wave on Carts"
That works for STOP signs. No reason it wouldn't work to resolve this issue either.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, golf, cart, vehicular, auto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.