Golf cart VS automobile right of way?!?!

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Yet on several occasions at the Hemingway Gate I have been the beneficiary of the now famous " Villages One Finger Salute " delivered firmly by
a baying man or woman with a distinctively North East accent for doing no more than following the law and proceeding thru the gated intersection .
I had the same thing happen to me. BUT the person had a distinctive southern accent
Old 05-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Does anybody really believe signs work in TV?
They do if they contain the words "happy hour", "early bird special", or "free".
Old 05-10-2018, 05:57 PM

I’ve had people behind me in their carts hong and yell, curse at me to go. THE LAW IS THE LAW. Maybe the police should start watching these areas and start handing out tickets to drivers in cars and drivers in golf carts. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Signs at the crossing stating cars have the right of way should be posted for car drivers and cart drivers to see.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

What has been working for me so far is to not make eye contact with the Car's Driver when in the situation Billethkid brings up. He is on the money. No eye contact and the car continues on because everyone is in a hurry. It just works. The people in back of me who get anxious sound like they have a problem, not me.

Things driving wise around our community will never change no matter what your mode of transportation. Someone else said this a long time ago, act as if everyone around you on the road is Kryptonite. That was one smart man or woman. It breaks my heart when I see somebody get jammed up in an accident. Expect the worst at all times and beware of your surroundings. The OP asked, "There I have done my good deed for today...right?" I would say so.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
What has been working for me so far is to not make eye contact with the Car's Driver when in the situation Billethkid brings up...
That’s what I do. No fuss. No muss.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuannBlue View Post
I’ve had people behind me in their carts hong and yell, curse at me to go. THE LAW IS THE LAW. Maybe the police should start watching these areas and start handing out tickets to drivers in cars and drivers in golf carts. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Signs at the crossing stating cars have the right of way should be posted for car drivers and cart drivers to see.

This thread is the most law-abiding group of individuals I have seen on TOTV. I hope all your golf carts are governed to not exceed 20 MPH.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The place where it drives me crazy is crossing under 466 going North going to Southern Trace. I have had cars waving me across when they are in the turn left lane leaving Publix. They are waving me to cross while cars are passing them on the right to go straight thru or turn right.

I think they are trying to kill me. Maybe these folks who wave us through are the same ones who hold up traffic to slow down to see the blood and gore at an accident on the other side of the turnpike. They want to see more. They are really not being nice, they are trying to hurt you very badly.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:26 AM
Default I agree

I see it every day.... car drivers waiving carts through. I think they intend it to be polite, not realizing that the car has the right of way, and they are creating a dangerous situation. The Villages could do more to address this with signs for cars and carts at these crossings. That would at least clarify things. When I see a car waiving me through on my cart, I avoid eye contact and just sit and wait. If a cart behind me gets ****ed off, that's their problem.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
What has been working for me so far is to not make eye contact with the Car's Driver when in the situation Billethkid brings up. He is on the money. No eye contact and the car continues on because everyone is in a hurry. It just works. The people in back of me who get anxious sound like they have a problem, not me.

Things driving wise around our community will never change no matter what your mode of transportation. Someone else said this a long time ago, act as if everyone around you on the road is Kryptonite. That was one smart man or woman. It breaks my heart when I see somebody get jammed up in an accident. Expect the worst at all times and beware of your surroundings. The OP asked, "There I have done my good deed for today...right?" I would say so.
That's exactly what I do. I pretend I'm in my own little world where I can't see fingers and don't hear horns. In reality I am completely aware of what is going on. And sometimes I accidentally hit the horn and make some kind of wild arm motion that's supposed to let others know "to just ignore the horn, I'm not one of them."
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Default Community Improvement Council suggestion

Let's bring this issue to the attention of The Villages:

Make A Suggestion – Villages CIC
Old 05-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
This thread is the most law-abiding group of individuals I have seen on TOTV. I hope all your golf carts are governed to not exceed 20 MPH.
Where's the fun in that?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage

only place I have ever seen people wave motor vehicles, thru a STOP sign
Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Gold member

When driving a car and come to a gate if there is no cars behind me I will wave a cart through. It might add 5 seconds to my drive. When driving my cart I always appreciate it if some car driver waves me through. I see nothing wrong with this even though strictly it might be against the law. I can't believe that some of you are so rigid as to never let a cart through or refuse to go when a car driver is nice enough to allow you to proceed.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
When driving a car and come to a gate if there is no cars behind me I will wave a cart through. It might add 5 seconds to my drive. When driving my cart I always appreciate it if some car driver waves me through. I see nothing wrong with this even though strictly it might be against the law. I can't believe that some of you are so rigid as to never let a cart through or refuse to go when a car driver is nice enough to allow you to proceed.

John
It has nothing to do with..."being nice, or not being nice."

It has everything to do with..."the law, consistency and reducing potential confusion/collisions."

Have you ever thought that since there are no cars behind you (per your comment), that if you just kept driving the cart would be able to immediately cross afterward (with minimal delay)...the way they're supposed to?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post

John
It's simply the wrong thing to do...no matter how much you feel like you're doing a nice thing. Read CNM'ss reply.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, golf, cart, vehicular, auto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.