Golf carts and cart lane

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Exclamation Golf carts and cart lane

Within the last year there has been several accidents where people have died from their golf cart accidents.
I have seen first hand golf cart drivers trying to turn left FROM THE GOLF CART LANE!

Please, you HAVE to merge with traffic before turning left!

If this post saves one life, it will be worth it.

ps: Please do not correct my grammar, ask for my stat data or write anything negative whatsoever........:
Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I saw that exact thing TWICE yesterday.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 PM

One today so far....don't get it...you certainly would not do it in a car
Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Use your cart's TURN SIGNAL -AND- a hand signal (left arm extended horizontally - not dangling limply toward the ground) after ensuring that you are clear to merge or turn. You are not magic nor do you have a force field that will protect you.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Platinum member

It is a nice rainy day just right for a good dicussion on TOTV. The OP makes a very good point although I would take exception with "several". I think it is two.

However I have an idea to float. Going south on Morse Blvd. the drivers are forced to turn left to continue south on the MMP. With all the golf cart traffice and vehicle traffic, this can be a dangerous intersection. As the OP states, a lot of the time the carts will just merge left into traffic without paying attention to what is behind them. Also, if the northbound gates are up, this makes it difficult to cross to the MMP.

Here is my idea. I believe on the west side of Morse at this location is a golf course and on the east side a preserve. What if we took a little land for each of these location to build a oneway bridge across Morse Blvd? Thoughs?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
It is a nice rainy day just right for a good dicussion on TOTV. The OP makes a very good point although I would take exception with "several". I think it is two.

However I have an idea to float. Going south on Morse Blvd. the drivers are forced to turn left to continue south on the MMP. With all the golf cart traffice and vehicle traffic, this can be a dangerous intersection. As the OP states, a lot of the time the carts will just merge left into traffic without paying attention to what is behind them. Also, if the northbound gates are up, this makes it difficult to cross to the MMP.

Here is my idea. I believe on the west side of Morse at this location is a golf course and on the east side a preserve. What if we took a little land for each of these location to build a oneway bridge across Morse Blvd? Thoughs?
The bridge is not needed at all. The cart drivers should have enough smarts to look carefully to see when they can merge into the left turn lane. I cannot remember car/cart collisions at that point.
There have been accidents up on Morse because a cart driver turned in front of an oncoming car - and at least one fatality.

Like the OP says, cart drivers MUST NOT turn left from the right hand cart lane.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage

Yesterday, two golf carts following each other did quick u-turns on Bailey Trail--must have been their liquid lunch taking control--I think we'll have a good body county this snow-bird season
Old 10-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Yesterday, two golf carts following each other did quick u-turns on Bailey Trail--must have been their liquid lunch taking control--I think we'll have a good body county this snow-bird season
Wouldn't surprise me!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

A bridge would require a lot more than "a little" land off each side . To cross
a road as busy and wide as Morse would require significant altitude. The approaches in order not to be prohibitively steep would need to be long.

Cost would be high to build this type of structure. My guess at least seven figures. It would require inspections and regular maintenance schedules.
On and On!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote:
...Here is my idea. I believe on the west side of Morse at this location is a golf course and on the east side a preserve. What if we took a little land for each of these location to build a oneway bridge across Morse Blvd? Thoughs?
I like your idea but here's the problem. Villagers were very vocal about spending for painted lines on golf cart paths, can you imagine the reaction to a bridge? Second, they are expensive, if I remember correctly that little wooden bridge on the corner of Carrera Dr and Morse cost about $50,000. You're probably looking at a few hundred thousand for what you want to build.

Thinking of safety not just at that intersection but the entire northern distance of Morse would be best to do away with the golf cart lanes on both sides of Morse. They are nothing more than an accident waiting to happen. Put the golf carts on their own MMP on the east side of the roadway, this eliminates the co-mingling of carts and cars on the same roadway in such close proximity.

To accomplish using the existing roadway, pave over the existing Morse roadway obliterating all the current painted lines. Move the car lanes to the extreme western edge of the pavement where a cart lane once was. Cut out about 8' of pavement on the eastern edge and fill with sod, making the road 8' narrower since you've eliminated 2 cart lanes. Fill in the ditch on the right hand side of Morse and pave and create a 2-way MMP for carts only. Now we have separate roadways. Getting carts to homes west of Morse will have to be worked out by weaving Morse to the east and putting the MMP on the westwide and maybe adding a tunnel.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

I had a problem on the Morse Bridge the other day. It was the first time I ever crossed that bridge by myself in a golf cart. I came over the bridge from LSL heading N to 466 with no problem. However, on the return trip, (I admit I had sunglasses on and may have blurred my vision a bit on a non-sunny day), but it appeared to have 3 lanes to choose from, of course one was the northbound lane, no problem...but I was confused at the other 2 lanes of which I should take, so I took the right lane (wrong), what I didn't realize was the right lane was a sidewalk, with a ramp to get up it. The curb was not defined and I didn't see it. So as soon as I went up the ramp my tires were on the edge of the curb and my cart went over the curb, tilting off the curb. Somehow I managed to right myself before the cart tipped over, but I was quite nervous and shaken up after that. Why don't they paint that curb to set it apart from the sidewalk and cart lane, they all blended together. I realize that I didn't have that problem on the northbound lane because there is no sidewalk on the opposite of that lane.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

I agree Morse Blvd and the bridge is a bitch drove that for 8 years back and forth really a lousy set up. Bridge is downright dangerous. Golf cart wise. GC lane needed to be wider. And why should we as residents pay for something the developed screwed up. I f you notice as you go south the GC lanes got wider.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I had a problem on the Morse Bridge the other day. It was the first time I ever crossed that bridge by myself in a golf cart. I came over the bridge from LSL heading N to 466 with no problem. However, on the return trip, (I admit I had sunglasses on and may have blurred my vision a bit on a non-sunny day), but it appeared to have 3 lanes to choose from, of course one was the northbound lane, no problem...but I was confused at the other 2 lanes of which I should take, so I took the right lane (wrong), what I didn't realize was the right lane was a sidewalk, with a ramp to get up it. The curb was not defined and I didn't see it. So as soon as I went up the ramp my tires were on the edge of the curb and my cart went over the curb, tilting off the curb. Somehow I managed to right myself before the cart tipped over, but I was quite nervous and shaken up after that. Why don't they paint that curb to set it apart from the sidewalk and cart lane, they all blended together. I realize that I didn't have that problem on the northbound lane because there is no sidewalk on the opposite of that lane.
were you going faster than the posted 10mph limit?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
were you going faster than the posted 10mph limit?
Bingo!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Oh my, driving a golf cart carries some responsibility of the driver. Did you observe three lanes on the north bound trip? There are many other places that require a driver to pay attention.

Tags
golf, cart, left, accidents, lane, worth, post, saves, it.gc, life, correct, data, write, whatsoever, negative, stat, grammar, people, year, carts, died, merge, turn, traffic, drivers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.