Golf carts Passing

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Send a message via ICQ to willis100 Send a message via AIM to willis100 Send a message via Yahoo to willis100 Send a message via Skype™ to willis100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Why not ask yourself why you are upset because a golf cart passed you. If you are going the speed you like then so what if someone goes by. There is a certain "competitiveness" and you probably view it as an insult that someone had the nerve to actually go faster than you? The more serious question is not that a cart passed you but rather why are you upset they did. Just another indication that you are unsettled with yourself and have adopted an attitude that is unhealthy. It's best not to try to analyze why someone has the need to go faster but again why do you care and what is the underlying cause of your anxious attitude? Be thankful for what you have and your ability to just enjoy life!!!
Very best answer I have read on this ever repeating subject.....thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis100 View Post
Very best answer I have read on this ever repeating subject.....thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Golf carts Passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Nope. A LSV can be gas or electric.

I’m sure you are correct but yet I have never seen a gas LSV (and I do look). Doesn’t mean there aren’t any but i check the many I have seen on the road with FL plates. Maybe because most of the gas carts around here don’t have available the required safety features like an actual 1 piece full windshield with DOT approved safety glass. A lot of the required specs have changed recently according to the folks in Ocala when mine had to go in for a “pre-approval” inspection because the 2 models I have weren’t on the state pre-checked approval list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Speeding in a golf cart is not the issue. The issue is driving an unregistered "Low Speed Vehicle." You can not drive a "golf cart" faster than 20 mph. If it goes faster than 20 mph on level ground, it is a Low Speed Vehicle, not a golf cart. Register the LSV and no problem.

However, to register it is not so simple. If it is a 'low speed vehicle' rather than a 'golf cart,' then besides registration it requires seat belts, insurance, and I can't remember what else. A few years ago I remember speed traps for golf carts; speeding in a golf cart resulted in FIVE tickets, each of which was $250+. I laugh my head off when I see or hear these stories. The golf cart speed limit is 20 MPH. Period.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
This couldn't have been said any better. One thing I do is pull over for a half a minute to allow a cart close behind me to pass. Just a courtesy—and a safety one at that. I was once out with my grandson, age 16, showing him pointers of golf cart driving when someone chomping at the bit zoomed past us to make a left turn—and a case of some beverage in glass bottles went sliding off his cart and smashed into the curb. What a mess! My grandson and I had the 'courtesy' to wait till we were out of hearing range to laugh our heads off!

I'm sorry, you've lost me; yes, of course there are people in TV who still work, but what does this have to do with the subject? Surely you're not suggesting that people going to work have a special dispensation to speed rather than leaving enough time so they don't have to?
Here's the post I was responding to, which was part of my post (I quoted it then). Bold and italicized for emphasisl Maybe you'll not be lost if you focus on the context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
What it wrong with us? We work hard for many years finally retire and move to The Villages and it starts: You drive as fast as you can in the Golf Carts, you push your way through the Grocery Store, you push in line at the movies, get drunk at the Squares and miss the fun of the night,gripe about that lousy shopper that is walking too slow, drive your cars like this is a long race way and we have to beat the other guy, you can finish the rest. OH Yea, end up at the cardiologist and claim you don't know why your heart is racing? Please slow down and begin to enjoy the years you worked so hard for. You sit in a restaurant and gripe about the slow service as though you have somewhere to go. You sit at a table and watch
a diner near by and their leg is shaking a mile a minute. That is a good indication of "anxiety" and sad to watch. It is a hard job to adjust your life to enjoy the times as opposed to rushing everywhere. Just say to your self to "slowdown" and give the server a break. You will feel so much better.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Uh. Yea. I think maybe that was the suggestion.
The suggestion is that people who want to relax and enjoy and never feel a need to get from point A to point B at any particular time since they're retired - not feel entitled to whine about people who actually have places to go, and deadlines to meet. Because, as I said, this is NOT a "retirement" community. It's a 55+ community, and many people still work, and need to get to work on time, and give themselves enough time to get to work - UNTIL someone decides they want to go only 10mph because they're retired and not in a hurry with no place to go.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Most everybody passes me because I drive a golf cart 15 MPH. When somebody goes to pass I slow down more so they can pass quicker. I'm retired and not in a hurry. IMO golf carts are not made to handle the speeds some people drive them.
This is the courteous thing to do. It's what I do when I'm just enjoying a relaxing golf cart ride, or if I think I took a wrong turn and need to get my bearings before going back up to the normal 18-19mph speed.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
However, to register it is not so simple. If it is a 'low speed vehicle' rather than a 'golf cart,' then besides registration it requires seat belts, insurance, and I can't remember what else. A few years ago I remember speed traps for golf carts; speeding in a golf cart resulted in FIVE tickets, each of which was $250+. I laugh my head off when I see or hear these stories. The golf cart speed limit is 20 MPH. Period.
It's not difficult at all, just relatively expensive. If it is a model already on the state's "approved list" you just walk into any agency and register it like a car. If it is not (like mine) it needs to be trucked up to Ocala for inspection (by appointment). They look at it while it is on the flatbed and make sure it has DOT front windshield glass and tires, a few reflectors, side view mirrors, seat belts, turn signals, and a few other things and they OK it. It seems it takes like 5 minutes once it is there.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Platinum member

Another thing. It is unlawful to cross over the solid line on a diamond trail. Butttttt, how many people have crossed over the solid line to pass a bicycle going 5 MPH?
If you have, YOU just broke the law. If you don't pass them, there would be a mile long backup of golf carts.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

I don’t mind folks driving 15mph. Heck, when I get off a sport court and am in no hurry I might tootle along at 15mph. I have no problem with folks driving whatever speed they feel comfortable driving. I just make sure I’m not in their way. Just because I’m in no hurry doesn’t mean that guy coming up behind me isn’t rushing to help a fallen friend or has an important appointment or class or tee time. I just pull over and let them by.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Another thing. It is unlawful to cross over the solid line on a diamond trail. Butttttt, how many people have crossed over the solid line to pass a bicycle going 5 MPH?
If you have, YOU just broke the law. If you don't pass them, there would be a mile long backup of golf carts.
Maybe the law has changed, or that wasn't the law in the first place. On 466A, driving west and turning right into Trailwinds, you have no choice but to cross a solid white line.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I'm curious. Please state the Florida statute regarding this? I can't find it and every local LEO I've asked told me other wise. I've been here years and passed many even in front of an LEO.You may leave the cart lane to position to make a left hand turn or in a safe manner, with assured distance, and not passing over the 20 MPH pass another golf cart or bicycle. That's the problem with these forums. Wrong information keeps popping up.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I don’t mind folks driving 15mph. Heck, when I get off a sport court and am in no hurry I might tootle along at 15mph. I have no problem with folks driving whatever speed they feel comfortable driving. I just make sure I’m not in their way. Just because I’m in no hurry doesn’t mean that guy coming up behind me isn’t rushing to help a fallen friend or has an important appointment or class or tee time. I just pull over and let them by.
Excellent post, summarizes courtesy and respect of both sides of the situation!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Maybe the law has changed, or that wasn't the law in the first place. On 466A, driving west and turning right into Trailwinds, you have no choice but to cross a solid white line.
LOL, I think he is referring to a GOLF CART not a car. Aside from that I doubt that is a violation. I think all "laws" (if that is indeed a law somewhere) have legit circumstances for logically violating them that wouldn't get you ticketed..
Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
There are NO CARTS ALLOWED on 466 or 466A.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, passing, carts, mph-have, bailey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.