Golf Clubs Stolen

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Sage
Default Been there, done that

My clubs were stolen last year just before we went north for the summer. It happened in the parking lot at Mallory after a round of golf, while we ate. I did not have them secured due to the age old syndromes 'what are the odds' and 'things like that only happen to other people'. I call the sheriff, gave them info and I figured that was it.

I began to put together my wish list for the insurance company .

A month or two later a friend in TV called and said they saw in the paper someone was arrested for stealing clubs. This was an 18 year old with grandparents in TV (so proud ). When he would visit, he would sneak onto a course, when he got kicked off as he left he would take 1 club or a whole set.

The kid gave details on everything after he was caught. My clubs were found at a 'Play in Again Sports' in Fort Myers.

I DID have to buy my clubs back at the cost the 'pawn shop' paid, not what they were selling them for. The state attorney then tries to get that money back for me when the kid is prosecuted which is happening now(good luck).

I notice the country clubs now sell a cover for $50/bag. My wife sewed one up using things laying around and a 7 foot cable from Lowes. The cable runs through the seam of the rain cover, through the golf bag handle and around the cart bag rack. Fool proof? NO, but maybe they go to the next cart ....

Some pictures if you are interested.

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1030207.jpg

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1030203.jpg
Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Thanks AJBrown just the thing we were looking for, will have to give it a try. Unfortunatly for us we can't turn this into our insurance company
Another thing the officer told my husband was he was surprised they didn't take our golf cart too. We just got a new Star cart 2 days ago and he suggested that we take it to a locksmith and have it re-keyed as apparently anyone can get keys to these carts??
Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure what other brands offer, but on the Ping web page you can register your clubs. This would help you prove you are the rightful owner of the set if they are found.
I remember reading in the Sun last year about two "dirt bags" that took clubs from a cart in Colony Plaza and took them to the Golf store in the same shopping center to sell them. Sheriff got them.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm310 View Post
Having lived in the Chicago area all of our lives we wondered about clubs so freely left in carts everywhere we went the first time we came down and every time thereafter. A sad dose of reality no matter where you live.
Whenever we visit TV, we always lock up everything, or take smaller items with us when the cart is unattended. Just habit, I guess.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Platinum member

If I go to the squares or a restaurant here in TV, I always leave my clubs at home. If I do have them with me, like having dinner after golf, I devised a little locking system for my clubs. All it cosistes of is a chain and lock I bought at Walmart. For only a few bucks (less than $10), I can weave the chain thru the handles on the golf bags, around the bumper and thru the rain guard I pulled down on the top of the cart. Even thou this isn't 100%, it is a real deterant as it is very difficult to pull the clubs our of the bag as the chain holds the rain guard down. I believe all things being equal, a thief will look for something easier to take. When not in use, I keep the chain and lock under the seat in my cart or in the dash if you don't have an underseat tray.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Platinum member
Default And....

Wouldn't you just love to be the one catching the thief in action!!!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Gold member

You can buy two items that will deter theft of golf clubs and bags. One is a device that locks the clubs into the bag. Another is an alarm that will sound if the bag is moved. The cost is moderate and well worth the peace of mind if you need to leave your clubs unattended for any length of time.
Both items are easily found by Google search.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

We bought some cable today at Home Depot, really don't like the idea of it at all
but there are just certain instances where it is not convenient for us to bring our clubs all the way back home.....oh the good ole days
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Default lock um up

I bought an inexpensive bike lock at Wallmart and I thread it through the bag handles and our cooler (hot theft tickets as well). I put the rain guard over my clubs. It will be easier to steal someone elses clubs than mine. Why not be careful?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Maybe they could do a couple "bait cars".................and see what low-life bites!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Default Range finder I got one for Sale 125.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
He is still over there waiting for the police to show up to make the report. The thieves got an added bonus of a nice range finder too! Even though it stinks, it's like I told my hubby....it's just "stuff" we can replace it
I had my Callaway Driver stolen 2 years ago in front of H.Hills Resturant, I hit
2 drives with it....FYI I posted my rangefinder with all the Courses Mapped
of the Villages...No annual fees holds up to 40 courses...listed for 125.00.
Its a IGolf GPS Caddie ll....lists for 299.00...check it out...chas39
Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default There is a common sense factor. I wonder if the same

people who freely park their golf cart with their clubs "wide open".....would lock their car if the same clubs were in the back seat. I suspect for most the answer would be ...yes!

The event is an isolated incident, expected in any population statistically no matter where one lives. Fortunately in TV the percent is as low as it is.

I do not leave my clubs on the cart when not playing golf. The simplest and least expensive deterrent.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.