Golf Course Flyovers - Turtle Mound & Sandhill

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts
Default Golf Course Flyovers - Turtle Mound & Sandhill

I did flyovers of both Turtle Mound and Sandhill golf courses this morning. Good flight planning allowed me to get it right in 2 flights and minimized the editing needed.

Enjoy,

Turtle Mound and Sandhill
Mangrove - Sweetgum - Palmetto
Truman and Roosevelt
Southern Star and Yankee Clipper

A drone group is forming, please see the announcement in the Clubs of the Villages section and this week's Rec News.

Link to new video has been updated.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 09-10-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: update links
Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

link for Turtle Mound and Sandhill says that video was "removed by the user"
Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

Sorry, the Turtle Mound had a problem and had to be re-uploaded. The link has been updated and everything is working now.
www.goldwingnut.com
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

Fun videos. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

Great, first class videos.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:03 AM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Great job on the videos! What a great idea to do all the execs. Can't wait to see Bonita Pass and Redfish Run, as those will be the closest to our new home! Thank you!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Thanks, great!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 AM

Another great video. The fly-around of The Villages water tower is a nice touch. Thank you for these.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:21 PM

Intrusive. I had one over our CYV 2 weeks ago for about 15 seconds. WHY?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Great job! I play both and enjoyed it. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
Intrusive. I had one over our CYV 2 weeks ago for about 15 seconds. WHY?
"over our CYV" is a very broad and probably in accurate statement but it deserves an answer as it is a very common question.

First, if you saw the aircraft without looking directly up then it was most likely not over your home it was just near your home, neither of which is illegal. Some simple geometry calculation will show you that if the aircraft is at any significant altitude (100 ft or higher is not uncommon flight altitude to avoid trees) that if you're not about to break your neck to look up and see it, it's not over your home. I know that that is of little consequence to you since you feel you privacy may have been invaded but it just the simple facts of the matter.

Next, consider the camera in use and its capabilities. They are not the spy cameras on satellites, the U2, or an SR71, these are consumer grade cameras with limited technology. For the consumer grade drones (<$2000 in cost) the best on the market is currently considered to be the Phantom 4 Pro (what I fly) with a 20 megapixel still camera/4K video camera. The P4P does not have a zoom lens, in fact the first consumer drone with a usable zoom lens/imager combination was just put on the market about 2 weeks ago, the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, and it only has a 2x zoom. The images rendered by the camera are incredible, or so they appear. The reality of the images is that they are digital so they have a limited image definition. Let me translate, there are only so many dots in an image, an item in an image is made up of a limited number of pixels (dots), if you zoom in on a digital picture these pixels become squares, that's all the resolution you get. What you see on TV crime shows and in movies where they "enhance" the image if not real and doesn't happen.

I worked in the electronic security industry for the last 20 years and had to deal with the "CSI factor" with customers on a regular basis and explain to them it's just TV. Consider this, your pixel/dot is a sealed room, in the room there are people, how many is unknown and cannot be determined, of the people in the room you know that 50% are men, 50% are women, that's the sum total of the information available (the pixel is gray). When you "enhance" the room you see that there are 20 people in the room with 10 men on the left side of the room and 10 women on the right side of the room. How did I come up with 10 & 10, left & right? I "enhanced" my knowledge of the room, or I made up information, the same holds true when you "enhance" a digital image like they do on TV. Not real.

I have digressed from the topic at hand. Back to your drone issue.

Why would a drone pilot stop for any given amount of time, there are multiple reasons.
1) they were districted and stopped flying, drones hover without continuous operator input. If I am approached by someone asking questions I stop flying and let the bird hover. The same if I need some water or coffee, I sneeze, cough, have to swat the many bugs here in Florida. The pilot needs to maintain Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of the aircraft while flying, if you take your eyes off of it while in motion it is difficult to locate again.
2) stopped to take a picture or a panoramic picture, both are better when stationary.
3) stopping to change software platforms used to control the aircraft, there are many.
4) loading flight information for a programmed flight, the aircraft stops while receiving course data from the controller.
5) the pilot stopped to look around to determine their location and bearing.
The reasons for stopping are many. Could they be stopping to look at you, maybe but unlikely.

If you see a drone in the air, the pilot is looking forward in the direction of travel, just like when you drive a car, for safety reasons. If the drone is flying towards you the pilot may see you bit it is unlikely they are looking at or for you.

In early 2017 the FAA records indicate there were over 300 drones registered in the 32159/32163 zip codes (The Villages). There are even more now and they are here to stay.

All this being said, if you look out your window or step outside and there is a drone hovering 20' above you, call the police, this SOB needs to be fined or in jail. Never attempt to bring down a drone as that in itself is a crime. Otherwise a drone flying by or near your home is no different or any more intrusive than a plane or helicopter going by.
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 09-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Waiting for more courses! It would be great if all the executive courses were done.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Love these videos. I have played all of the ones you have shown so far. Looking forward to the next set. Very theraputic.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Platinum member

More golf course videos are coming, I plan to do all 666 holes. I have the flight plans worked out and ready to go for another 54 holes and working on more.

Right now I'm just waiting for my drone to get back from being repaired, the camera gimbal motor failed about 2 weeks ago for no apparent reason, it should be back on Wednesday according to UPS. I shot some footage before sending it back but there was so much camera movement in the video that when I was reviewing it I started to get motion sickness.

More construction area videos are also in the works.
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 09-08-2018, 09:34 AM

Looking forward to seeing more of your fly overs.
Closed Thread

Tags
mound, sandhill, turtle, golf, flyovers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.