Golfer out of line, or am I?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Default read the rule book

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
That is not in the rule book, but it is common courtesy.
This rule is highlighted in the rule book, read and you will see. It is this ignorance that we are having with golfers and private property. And some that know the rule ignores it because they think they are special. Tresspassing is tresspassing!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Gold member

If the etiquette section of Golfing the Villages is what you refer to, it is not a rule book. The rule book is published by the USGA, and can be found online. If you can find any reference to the subject of retrieving an OB ball from private property in The Rules of Golf, please show me.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

That is nitpicking. If TV golf tells you not to trespass to retrieve a golf ball, it's still a rule.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
If the etiquette section of Golfing the Villages is what you refer to, it is not a rule book. The rule book is published by the USGA, and can be found online. If you can find any reference to the subject of retrieving an OB ball from private property in The Rules of Golf, please show me.

On that subject you might remember a famous shot played by Greg Norman (I think the course was in Colorado). He went so far right (unusual for Norman since he is one of the straightest drivers to ever play the game) that it went over a strand of trees and into the front yard of a home (on the course). Since there were no OB markers the ball was in play if Greg wanted it to be. So he took his shot from the yard and over the trees and almost hit the green and went on to make a par save. The tv announcers made it quite clear that the ball was not OB. Granted most of the time we play for the fun of it or practice so I can't imagine anyone hitting from any private property even if not marked as OB.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That is nitpicking. If TV golf tells you not to trespass to retrieve a golf ball, it's still a rule.
First, I am an engineer, so, of course I pick nits. I wouldn't enter anyone's yard, and I think the guy who did is a jerk, but please don't pull the "If TV golfs tells you not too...it is still a rule" card unless you treat all "rules" with the same respect and repair every ball mark you make, fill every divot, enter bunkers from the low side, rake bunker every time, drive cart at 90 degrees to fairway, never play a mulligan, etc. I have been playing the game for 63 years, and have observed that most folks will follow a rule of the game much more often than they will comply with requests by the local committee, and in my opinion there is a distinction between the two.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Sage

I've never seen a golfer NOT go into our yards to get their ball, but I've found a few that hit the house and apparently there was some shame or fear of blame. I have been consistently told anything by TV golf managers that that retrieving on private property is officially forbidden.

I'm going to raise a stink here and surmise that some of the same people who want their rights respected to private property with regard to animal toileting are the same ones trampling my flowers to retrieve their missing little balls.

Toileting your dog in others' yards, regardless of easements, is also officially forbidden according to the authorities. So these two issues will continue to be a war zone between people do right and people who get away with wrongs.

Just try not to be hypocritical. It irks me. The issue is not about how much a ball costs, it's about how much your integrity is worth.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
On that subject you might remember a famous shot played by Greg Norman (I think the course was in Colorado). He went so far right (unusual for Norman since he is one of the straightest drivers to ever play the game) that it went over a strand of trees and into the front yard of a home (on the course). Since there were no OB markers the ball was in play if Greg wanted it to be. So he took his shot from the yard and over the trees and almost hit the green and went on to make a par save. The tv announcers made it quite clear that the ball was not OB. Granted most of the time we play for the fun of it or practice so I can't imagine anyone hitting from any private property even if not marked as OB.
Interesting story - but was the yard that Norman's ball landed in ACROSS THE STREET from the golf course? That was the whole gist of the OP's story was the golfer came across the street and HIT the ball back onto the course ACROSS the street!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Have some fun with it, keep a club handy in your back yard. When one lands in your yard go out and hit it back, and make sure the golfer is watching you hit it.
Or take a marker and write a nice note on the ball then throw it out of your yard.

Word will spread quick on where not to hit the ball.

At some courses a private yard is treated the same as a water hazard, if you can retrieve it without stepping in the yard you can have it back, if not, the ball is lost and you take the penalty.
Wow, GWN, I never thought of that. Is there a rule against hitting balls from your OWN yard onto the course? I'll bet there isn't!
What about that, Nitpicker? Can you research that one? I like that idea...heheh.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I've never seen a golfer NOT go into our yards to get their ball, but I've found a few that hit the house and apparently there was some shame or fear of blame. I have been consistently told anything by TV golf managers that that retrieving on private property is officially forbidden.

I'm going to raise a stink here and surmise that some of the same people who want their rights respected to private property with regard to animal toileting are the same ones trampling my flowers to retrieve their missing little balls.

Toileting your dog in others' yards, regardless of easements, is also officially forbidden according to the authorities. So these two issues will continue to be a war zone between people do right and people who get away with wrongs.

Just try not to be hypocritical. It irks me. The issue is not about how much a ball costs, it's about how much your integrity is worth.

First: Nobody should be trampling your flowers - that's crazy.
Second: People are complaining about toileting on the yard (for the most part) not walking on it.

Personally I only get a ball if I can reach with a club. I don't walk past the white stakes. If someone on their lanai invites me (or they have a sign) to get the ball then I will. Don't get me started on golfers who ignore the green top red markers which FORBID any entry!

But the OP was talking about hitting a ball from the yard and that's a very good analogy to the animal toileting situation. Both are just wrong.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 PM

The golfer was probably too dumb to get a clue about his many errors in this situation. If I lived on a golf course I would prefer that people get their balls out of my yard so my lawn service doesn't run over them and take out a window. Playing a ball out of someone's yard ought to be an automatic $500 fine and 6 month suspension from GMS play if the idiot can be identified.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Gold member

I have had fun following this post! I certainly never thought it would bring so many replies and such strong opinions.

I did feel the golfer was in the wrong, and a bit of a smart a$$ when I asked him not to do that again and he made the "just trimming your grass" comment.

I will be more observant next time , if there is a next time, and will address him pre-emptively.

It is nice to know that there are plenty of golfers out there who play with integrity and
follow the rules. I'm hoping this is a one time event, But it least i know how to handle this next time, if there is one!

thanks all
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

Pure and simple you never play a ball from some one's yard it is rude and you are trespassing. I will not go into some one's yard to retrieve a ball either.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.