Good Grass - Bad Grass

Old 04-27-2024, 09:47 AM
Platinum member
Default Good Grass - Bad Grass

Ok, St. Augustine grass experts. Are the runners in the middle of the picture good grass or bad grass? If it is not St Augustine grass runners what is it? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	6046
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	103863  
Old 04-27-2024, 11:03 AM

Looks like St Augustine to me. I’d recommend top dressing the area with soil/sand to cover the runners. This will help it thicken up.

You could even google St Augustine grass to do a comparison.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Looks like St Augustine to me. I’d recommend top dressing the area with soil/sand to cover the runners. This will help it thicken up.

Remember, best not to scalp St Augustine….it needs to be tall….like 3.5” +. It’s a challenge when you’re running a line trimmer…that’s probably why you have all those bare spots.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 952 Posts

A lot of us have that grass mixed in with our St Augustine. It tends to take over. I will pull those runners up when I see them, and it tends to keep that grass from spreading. Eventually the St Augustine takes over. One of my neighbors has a section of yard that has been taken over by it. It looks good, just noticeably different.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
A lot of us have that grass mixed in with our St Augustine. It tends to take over. I will pull those runners up when I see them, and it tends to keep that grass from spreading. Eventually the St Augustine takes over. One of my neighbors has a section of yard that has been taken over by it. It looks good, just noticeably different.
I thought those runners ARE St. Augustine grass. They just have to fill in to make a nice thick lawn. Right now I've got these runners of St. Augustine "running" onto the Zosia in my front yard. I've been waiting for this to happen. I'm hoping in another year or so my front yard will be all St. Augustine. Most of our property is St. Augustine, all from a few pieces of sod that were placed in the back yard by the previous owner of our home. I got this info from a neighbor. One of my other neighbors in the back/side of our property had St. Augustine grass creeping onto our Zoisia. The St. Augustine won and the Zoisia is gone.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Remember, best not to scalp St Augustine….it needs to be tall….like 3.5” +. It’s a challenge when you’re running a line trimmer…that’s probably why you have all those bare spots.
Not all St. Augustine should be mowed the same height. There are several different strains. The S.A. used for new builds south of 44 is ProVista and needs to be mowed between 3 to 4 inches. But other strains should be kept at 2.5 to 3 inches.

The ProVista strain is tolerant of glyphosate weed killer while the other strains are not.

Best to know what strain you have in order to take care of it.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:24 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,798 Times in 3,659 Posts

"runners"..............make sure it's not Torpedo Grass.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,069 Times in 545 Posts
Default Differences between Torpedo and Augustine

St. Augustine is a great grass for down here. Torpedo grass is an enemy that gets 3-4 seed heads that fan out. Its main stalk and leaves are finer than St. Augustine. Don’t fret if you have it though, it can be easily killed by Glyphosate. Just spray it and it’s gone in about 2 weeks.

What you have could be OK? It’s hard to tell without the tell tale sign of the seed heads.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-28-2024, 05:16 AM

Be careful in the cool season as roundup will kill pro Vista when it's not actively growing. Mix it half strength.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
Not all St. Augustine should be mowed the same height. There are several different strains. The S.A. used for new builds south of 44 is ProVista and needs to be mowed between 3 to 4 inches. But other strains should be kept at 2.5 to 3 inches.

The ProVista strain is tolerant of glyphosate weed killer while the other strains are not.

Best to know what strain you have in order to take care of it.
Glyphosate is a “kill everything” product and will kill ProVista. Maybe you meant tolerant to 2-4-D instead?
Old 04-28-2024, 05:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

You are correct St Augustine and the runners are good as your advice to top dress it. I would suggest using black cow.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:20 AM

This “grass” is more of a vine than traditional grass. The runner you see is part of a very thin lawn. Enrich the lawn with a quality fertilizer like Scott’s plus2 and it will thicken up
Old 04-28-2024, 06:48 AM

You are correct except that The Villages changed back to Floratam St Augustine grass (used in yards above 44) but South of the MickeyLee course maintenance building on Megasson down to 470, according to the Property Management people I had at my home in Newell about the common area along roads and trails.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccallum View Post
Glyphosate is a “kill everything” product and will kill ProVista. Maybe you meant tolerant to 2-4-D instead?
Nope.
glysophate tolerant pro vista st augustine - Google Search
Old 04-28-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccallum View Post
ProVista is the first SA variety tolerant to glyphosate. All other SA varieties cannot tolerate it.

Tags
grass, good, bad, augustine, runners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.