Disney and Universal over the Top

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Gold member
Unhappy Disney and Universal over the Top

Yesterday, Disney followed Universal's recent price increase and is now the most expensive park in Florida. At $95.00 plus tax, it will now cost a family of four (over 10 years old) over $400.00 just to get into the Park. Add food to that cost and you have a very expensive outing for sure. My last trip to Disney cost three of us nearly $300.00, stood in lines for hours and hours and was only able to ride four rides and watch the parade. The entry fee to Disney has doubles since 2000. This price increases concerns me because I believe there are many average families with children who might never have the funds to attend either of the parks.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Platinum member

I agree. If Walt was still alive he would never allow such high prices.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Sage

If you are a Florida resident, you get real savings by purchasing a Florida resident annual pass. The price is $309 and you have access to all the Disney World Resort Parks for an entire year.

I'm always amazed at the number of people in the parks. I was in the parks several times last year when they closed the parking lots and didn't allow anyone else inside because they were at capacity.

As to eating, I've seen people people inside the various parks sitting down and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Where there's a will, there's a way. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...ood-and-drink/
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

No matter what the price there will always be families that can't afford to bring their kids there.
Millions of people come from all over the world to experience these parks. The price doesn't seem to be driving anyone away. It's, like everything in business, simple supply and demand. If the price was too high, people would stop coming. As long as the parks fill up, the prices will increase.

The other thing is that there seems to be thousands of discount programs available. It seems that every time share operation gives out Disney tickets. I'm sure they are not paying full price. If you stay in the resorts you get a reduced price. Florida residents have numerous options to pay very low prices to vist the parks. The entrance fees are also bundled into vacation "packages" which I assume that most people visiting from out of state are buying. If you vist more than one park over a few days the price is reduced. I have to wonder how many people actually pay the $95.00 advertised price. It may be a case of marking it up so that they can offer discounts.

I also wonder what the cost is of running and maintaining these parks. They are always beautiful and clean. There seems to be constant expansion going on. Operating costs must be huge. I wouldn't want to see the quality reduced.

What was the cost of the parks when they first opened and what is the cost today adjusted for inflation? Also what are you getting today in terms of technology and experiences that you weren't getting 25 years ago.

People will always complain about prices, but we need to look at all of the factors when it comes to setting a price.

And, Disney made the Orlando area what it is today. The other parks and attractions wouldn't exist today if not for Walt's vision, Orlando would be the sleepy little horse town it was before The Magic Kingdom opened. When people hear the name Orlando, they immediately think Disney World. They are the biggest, and most famous park in the world. They should have the highest prices compared to other parks in the area. If it wasn't for Disney, Universal wouldn't exist. Or it might exist in Los Angeles.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
No matter what the price there will always be families that can't afford to bring their kids there.
Millions of people come from all over the world to experience these parks. The price doesn't seem to be driving anyone away. It's, like everything in business, simple supply and demand. If the price was too high, people would stop coming. As long as the parks fill up, the prices will increase.

The other thing is that there seems to be thousands of discount programs available. It seems that every time share operation gives out Disney tickets. I'm sure they are not paying full price. If you stay in the resorts you get a reduced price. Florida residents have numerous options to pay very low prices to vist the parks. The entrance fees are also bundled into vacation "packages" which I assume that most people visiting from out of state are buying. If you vist more than one park over a few days the price is reduced. I have to wonder how many people actually pay the $95.00 advertised price. It may be a case of marking it up so that they can offer discounts.

I also wonder what the cost is of running and maintaining these parks. They are always beautiful and clean. There seems to be constant expansion going on. Operating costs must be huge. I wouldn't want to see the quality reduced.

What was the cost of the parks when they first opened and what is the cost today adjusted for inflation? Also what are you getting today in terms of technology and experiences that you weren't getting 25 years ago.

People will always complain about prices, but we need to look at all of the factors when it comes to setting a price.

And, Disney made the Orlando area what it is today. The other parks and attractions wouldn't exist today if not for Walt's vision, Orlando would be the sleepy little horse town it was before The Magic Kingdom opened. When people hear the name Orlando, they immediately think Disney World. They are the biggest, and most famous park in the world. They should have the highest prices compared to other parks in the area. If it wasn't for Disney, Universal wouldn't exist. Or it might exist in Los Angeles.
Nicely done!

It is very expensive and I cringe when I have to pony up the $$$, but I believe in free enterprise. And if the prices were in fact too high, they would see a significant drop in attendance, my GUESS is that they do not over time.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Sage

I went to Disney the first day they opened in Oct. 1971. General admission without any "Adventure Book A - E" ride tickets was only $3.75. With the ride tickets a little more. When Epcot opened in 1982, tickets were $15 to either park. By then they had stopped the A - E tickets.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage

When Disney World first opened (and for many years thereafter), guests purchased a book of ride tickets (similar to what you would get at a carnival or fair). The book consisted of A through E tickets, with the E tickets being the best rides. E ticket attractions included 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Small World and the Hall of Presidents.

Seven Adventure Ticket Book: Adult $4.75, Junior $4.25, Children $3.75
(included transportation, admission to MK and seven adventures)

Eleven Adventure Ticket Book: Adult $5.75, Junior $5.25, Children $4.75
(included transportation, admission to MK and eleven adventures)

General Admission: Adult $3.50, Junior $2.50, Children $1.00 (inlcuded unlimited use for one day of transportation system, admission to MK and all
free shows, exhibits and entertainment)

Parking: 50 cents per automobile

Source: Disney World's Grand Opening
Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I believe that anyone that has taken Economics in college would recognize the comment Dr. Boogie said about supply & demand as one of the laws of economics and how especially in this case the prices are influenced to be as high as they are. I'm thinking that there is a lesser factor that could also affect the price. That put simply is demand satisfaction. If the prices were more economical, would the demand skyrocket way beyond Disney's ability to satisfy that demand? Probably not a provable idea, but it is a thought to ponder!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Sage

Oh, and if you want to do the math, try this: CPI Inflation Calculator
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Eternal Member

The reason Disney and Universal are raising prices is - as the wise Dr. O'Boogie said - it's supply and demand.

I'm less concerned with the price than the value for the price. As crowds increase at Disney, ride waiting times are huge and for your dollar you get a certain degree of misery. We are lucky living down here as we can attend during low crowd periods (after Labor day is best). If Disney wants to raise prices - fine. Create another park to absorb crowds. Disney Seas in Japan is fantastic...the technology and designs already exist. Add Car Land from Disneyland here (the Mouse Studio is perfect for it). Get Avatar built.
All of these will absorb crowds and add value.

At least Universal is adding a new Harry Potter land.

The bottom line is value - not cost.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

and there is no longer non expiring tickets
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geewiz View Post
The reason Disney and Universal are raising prices is - as the wise Dr. O'Boogie said - it's supply and demand.

I'm less concerned with the price than the value for the price. As crowds increase at Disney, ride waiting times are huge and for your dollar you get a certain degree of misery.

The bottom line is value - not cost.
I agree with you Gary. You get what you pay for and if you want quality you gotta pay for it. However, standing in lines for 2 hours is not my idea of fun or a good value.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Since we have lived down here (5 years now) we have been to Disney once. For just the 2 of us to walk through the gates (not to mention parking!), get a Hopper and buy meals, I believe we spent upwards of $400 just for a day!! I'm not talking gourmet food either. Burgers,fries and a couple of drinks came to over $35. I don't know how families can afford to stay in a hotel and do the theme parks for a week with 4 kids. They must have to save up for years.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Magic Your Way: Facts on 2013 Walt Disney World Resort Prices « Disney Parks Blog

The above is a link to all current prices. Non expiration tickets are still available
Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
and there is no longer non expiring tickets
Yes there is.

Disney Magic Your Way Tickets

I'm still paying 2005 prices because I bought a 10 admission hopper ticket for $350 which included 5 water parks and 5 ESPN admissions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.