Gov steps in to secure TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 AM

It would appear that someone needed to take charge, the neat thing about ther Villages is our independence. The bad thing about the the Villages is our independence, we govern by committee, thus no one can make a hard decision. Net result some one from the outside has to lead us.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Default Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I posted this on another thread....might bear reading it here as well. A friend shared this with me this a.m. My take is...this is a new virus, I get that. BUT what did everyone do with the flu outbreaks where LOTS more people died etc? You can't live with "what if's".....

I want everyone to take a big, deep, calming breath.

I’d like to give you all a true glimpse into American healthcare and how it works, for it seems that much of the population is a bit out of touch.

Firstly, It is shocking to me how many people are concerned with their health all of a sudden. While you’re freaking out about somebody infecting you with this horrible virus, maybe put your cigarettes away, or take your medication, or eat a vegetable for once.

Shocker: It is not standard procedure to test for COVID-19. There are a number of boxes that must be ticked first, before any healthcare professional in the state of Indiana will even consider it.

If you come into the ER, urgent care, or see your regular doctor and your symptoms are mild, you are going to be going home with instructions to rest, hydrate, and treat your symptoms with over the counter medication. We may test for the flu, because it is simple, cost-effective, and yields a result (we can offer you Tamiflu). There is not a simple, cost-effective test for COVID-19. There is also very little we can do with the information, if we get it. Knowing that one is positive for this novel coronavirus may help guide treatment in some ways (isolation, shared practice knowledge), but the test itself will mean next to nothing. We treat each patient differently, based on the symptoms or distress that each patient is experiencing.

Symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Unless you are in respiratory distress, don’t even try to go to an ER. You will be sent home after waiting miserably for hours, with a big bill for your trouble. This is one of the reasons healthcare professionals can’t stand panic and hysteria-it fills our offices and emergency departments with people who should be at home resting, instead.

Per the CDC, this virus is primarily spread by people who are symptomatic. In the majority of cases, you will not spread anything to anyone else unless you are ill yourself.
Actionable things:
-Take care of yourself: eat well, stay hydrated, take your medications/vitamins, and stop freaking out (it weakens your immune system)
-Wash your hands often and don’t share things or touch your face.
-Stay home if you are unwell. (Apparently, an abundance of TP helps with this 😂)
-Keep up with the Lysol and the Clorox (and read the labels, you’d be shocked how much time it takes to properly sanitize something!)

I am an immunocompromised ICU nurse. I am not worried or afraid. These things are all second nature to me. We have to help each other out a bit, here. Quit whining about restrictions, quit panicking to no end, and just keep doing what needs to be done. Think about others for a change, too. This whole major freak-out that’s happening across the world right now? Welcome to the daily life of a family with a special needs child, or a cancer patient, or an elderly person, etc. Have some compassion and just take a deep breath.

And for goodness’ sake, if they develop a vaccination for this, remember how you feel right now and GET IT!
You are 100% on target!

Thank you for your clear and specific advice on how to deal with this. GOD BLESS YOU!
Old 03-14-2020, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
as of 12:54 a.m. ET 3/14/2020

Positive Cases of COVID-19
70 – Florida Residents
6 – Florida Residents Diagnosed and Isolated Outside of Florida
7 – Non-Florida Residents

Deaths
3 – Florida Residents

Number of Negative Test Results

Number of Pending Test Results

Number of People Under Public Health Monitoring
365 – currently being monitored
1413 – people monitored to date
Old 03-14-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I find it interesting that they have canceled all of the outdoor town square activities while leaving the indoor rec centers open. My understanding is that it's more unlikely to contract the virus outdoors than it is indoors.

Why are Resident Lifestyle Clubs still being allowed to meet?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcurrie947 View Post
The best medication for this virus is stop watching the news. Instant healing!
Sorry, but I think that's the worst thing that you can possibly do. We just shouldn't bury our heads in the sand pretending that this thing doesn't exist or isn't serious. For the most part, the residents of The Villages are in the most endangered demographic. We really need to be aware of what's going on.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I find it interesting that they have canceled all of the outdoor town square activities while leaving the indoor rec centers open. My understanding is that it's more unlikely to contract the virus outdoors than it is indoors.

Why are Resident Lifestyle Clubs still being allowed to meet?
I would think that the individual clubs can decide whether they're going to meet or not.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
As of 7:20 am today, according to the Florida Department of Health website, there are 45 total cases in Florida and ZERO in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties. An overabundance of caution?
We've all seen how quickly this virus has spread. Do you suggest that we wait until there are thousands of cases in The Villages before we do anything?

As Dr Fauci stated, it is better to do too much than not enough.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Were you a Banker ? Ever have any dealings with The SBA especially at the time of a crisis ? Not exactly so easy . And I was a Banker for over 35 years .
I would imagine that much of the "red tape" delaying loans will be eased during this crisis...
Old 03-14-2020, 10:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
As of 7:20 am today, according to the Florida Department of Health website, there are 45 total cases in Florida and ZERO in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties. An overabundance of caution?
The Florida Department of Health confirmed 25 new cases early Saturday morning, one who is not a Florida resident, bringing the total cases in the state to 77.

apparently they update after midnight
Old 03-14-2020, 11:14 AM

I agree, as a 46 year banker working with the SBA is not easy. And while banks will also be trying to help we have to remember that in order to get any loan you must first qualify. Any business that doesn’t have resources in reserve will be struggling in short order.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Sorry, but I think that's the worst thing that you can possibly do. We just shouldn't bury our heads in the sand pretending that this thing doesn't exist or isn't serious. For the most part, the residents of The Villages are in the most endangered demographic. We really need to be aware of what's going on.
I agree with you. Good common sense post.

Let's also not forget we are but a stone's throw away from what is most likely the largest cruise ship arrival / departure ports in the US at this time of year. The Orlando airport most have a very high amount of international passengers just from the cruise and Disney World aspect alone. Also Florida being the number one place to visit Jan - Feb. For the life of me (I literally mean just that) why would I not listen to the EXPERTS at a time like this. No way am I going for any type of conspiracy theory when the whole world is experience this. Sometimes the right thing to do is unite against a common enemy regardless of race, religion, politics, etc. As the old saying goes lead, follow, or get out the way.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Tag you lose if you get the virus & tag you die if you're over 75
exactly the type of exaggerated statement that is driving fear into everybody.

absolutely not true that if you are over 75 and get the virus you will die, just like this is not a hoax. Listen to the medical experts and be cautious but refrain from spreading fear of death.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

And at what probability of death should we feel comfortable about? Just wondering.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The last I saw was 14% of those over 80 die; so for that age group it may be like playing Russian roulette with a six shooter. 80% of cases are going unreported for the public at large so that percentage might be too large. But, probably among those over 80 a larger percentage of cases get diagnosed as they are likely to be more serious in that age group.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Hopefully we will have few cases Nationwide and when that happens the Naysayers will complain it was an overboard reaction. If we have few cases, maybe it was BECAUSE of the over abundance of caution. Something to think about.
Closed Thread

Tags
gov, indefinitely, nightly, entertainment, business

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.