GPS updates

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Default GPS updates

Sure this has been asked..........

We are coming 1/21 for our LSV. Will it be any help if I update my Garmin Has not been updated in some time) and bring it along? Does it work well in the Villages? Does it do cart paths?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Default Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Sure this has been asked..........

We are coming 1/21 for our LSV. Will it be any help if I update my Garmin Has not been updated in some time) and bring it along? Does it work well in the Villages? Does it do cart paths?
I have a new Garmin with the 2012 maps. Drove down to the new section below 466a, those streets are not on the Garmin maps. Garmin maps are pretty good in The Villages, but not perfect. When you approach a "Village Gate" the GPS tells you to make a U-Turn, but after you enter the gate the route is OK.
Another thing about updating your maps on an older GPS. The map updates are pricey (maybe $90). You can buy a new Garmin on Ebay for $135 with lifetime Maps and lifetime Traffic updates, and you have a new machine.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks. I have life time updates just have not done it in awhile. i can use all the help i can get, even if it is only above 466.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Thanks. I have life time updates just have not done it in awhile. i can use all the help i can get, even if it is only above 466.
Make sure you have time. It took me over 2 hours when I did an update a couple of months ago. I could have saved some time if I could have figured out how to tell it to only do the SouthEast region.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Thanks, their site is unavailable right now anyway (at least the mygarmin part) Do golf carts have lighter plug to charge?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

GPS units do not do cart paths unless, of course, they are on the side of the roads. Also, lighter plugs in carts are options that you can install or have installed. Some have them, some don't.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM

So, got the Garmin updated. Testing now. Tried to key in address from MLS but it did not find the Village. Finally figured out the village of Sumter is listed in the Garmin as being in the town Lady Lake.

Is there somewhere where it show what village is int what "real" town so i can map destinations when we get there?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Sage

Jack, you might also find that some of the addresses down towards 466A are listed as being in Wildwood.

Bill
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Sage

Jack Pine -- I hope your updates are helpful. My Tom Tom GPS is almost 3 yrs. old. I can't figure out how to download the updates Not a problem in the Chicago area as I've lived here for 32 years, but last year when I went to open houses in the newer villages in TV (Tamarind Grove, Pennecamp, Buttonwood) it was sometimes a little adventure to get to those newer addresses. But I enjoyed driving through the TV neighborhoods even if I was a little lost...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Jack Pine -- I hope your updates are helpful. My Tom Tom GPS is almost 3 yrs. old. I can't figure out how to download the updates Not a problem in the Chicago area as I've lived here for 32 years, but last year when I went to open houses in the newer villages in TV (Tamarind Grove, Pennecamp, Buttonwood) it was sometimes a little adventure to get to those newer addresses. But I enjoyed driving through the TV neighborhoods even if I was a little lost...
Don't get too excited about the map updates for your Tom Tom relative to the newer areas in TV. Those villages you mentioned aren't shown at this point, for the most part. I downloaded the new maps back in early December, right before we headed to TV, and they weren't there yet.

Bill
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Smile

Well, I have Garmin..worked great last year..Coming in Mar. will update again since i have lifetime updates. Should work fine.I LOVE EM....i would be lost on vacation lots without one......MY wife thinks i'm always lost!!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:19 PM

I am surprised there is no I-App for the villages. They are all over income sources. this seems like a no-brainier......
Old 01-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Platinum member

There is an app for TV but it doesn't show roads like a GPS.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.