Grand kids Camp

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Default Grand kids Camp

Was really anticipating signing my 2 grand daughters up for some activities this year. The schedule came out today & I was at the box office by 1:00 with a list of 5 neat things to do. All we're sold out. The rep said people were lined up by 6 am. I just wonder how they could have known so early. Called the office last week but was told the schedule would come out later but the person didn't know when. Disappointing.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

That's really a shame. With that much demand, they should open up more activities. Also, the schedule of classes should be posted online, and you should be able to sign up to receive an email when the schedule comes out. Then you should be able to sign up online. Having to line up at 6 a.m to get your grandchildren into a class is ridiculous. There really is a technological lag in TV in some areas.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 AM
Default Online sales

The Villages Camp tickets can be bought online @ thevillagesentertainment.com. No one needs to wait in line at 6 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

I was initially disappointed too. There are so many other things to do in the area with the grand kids. There have been other threads on this forum with great day trips with kiddos. Plus, the family pools, shuffleboard, pickleball, and just riding around in the golf cart will be fun for our 4 and 8 year old. Our grand kids will have no idea the camps existed unless we tell them and therefore, I realized it was more about what I wanted.

If we're fortunate enough to be able to return from PA next year for a week with the grandsons, I can order on line and didn't know this in 2014. Thank you Wiserbud47 for the info.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

I don't think you can order on line. The instructions are specific in stating that you need to complete a release form (they have one on the site) and bring it with you to purchase the tickets you are interested in to any one of the box offices. There is no mention of being able to purchase Camp Villages tickets on line. I don't think it can be done.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Post #3 gives the site to go to. Looks like you can buy tickets on-line.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Post #3 gives the site to go to. Looks like you can buy tickets on-line.
Have you tried the site?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 AM

You can buy most tickets online at the same time the box opens to sell Camp Villages tickets. However, not all tickets can be obtained online. I waited in line for three hours to buy tickets for two events that were not available online, and then had to drive to Hacienda to sign up for the golf scramble. Everything should be online. It was a nightmare standing for three hours in the sun. Many people in line with me used their iPads to order their tickets while standing in line. Most thought that they would not be able to sign up on line because they had tried the day before. So mark the first day of signup next year and go online at 8:30 to the villages.net and go to box office. Have your Villages ID and pin ready. Also, many people bought tickets they will probably try to sell. Watch TOTV for some of those tickets.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

I have a problem with people getting tickets to sell. Is it just me?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Another good idea is to release the camp info early so we can have a chance to plan plus contact families to secure dates and ask grandchildren what they might like to do. Then have a buy date/time that is released at a later date and we have all our ducks in a row. Those of us that are new learn the hard way the first go 'round of a lot of things here. Just saying.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Marilyn View Post
Another good idea is to release the camp info early so we can have a chance to plan plus contact families to secure dates and ask grandchildren what they might like to do. Then have a buy date/time that is released at a later date and we have all our ducks in a row. Those of us that are new learn the hard way the first go 'round of a lot of things here. Just saying.
It seems to be very poor planning. The catalogue was released the day before tickets went on sale. The activities were listed on the villages.net a few days before that --- although the print was so small it was difficult to read. There was really no planning time to coordinate with family members. Also, there were activities that were limited to a small number of children. This is probably why many people "over bought" tickets --- so the grandchildren can pick and choose.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:41 PM

It's ridiculous! The rec dept clearly doesn't understand supply & demand. The camp villages tix were all sold out not to mention having to go to the rec centers 1x/mo at the crack of dawn 1st to get a number, then to come back and hope the activities you want aren't sold out. It's a ludicrous system! It's bad for not only the residents but the poor employees who get berated and ridiculed. A new system clearly needs to be implemented ASAP!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,541 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Some things just CAN'T be accommodated simply because so many want to do them.

I haven't managed to make reservations for any of those fun Bingo ice cream things for us and Helene for over a year. But we have gone many times in the past and have enjoyed them thoroughly. Someone is having fun.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to buy tickets or make reservations for other people. Sometimes that is just hogging. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 PM

I've had my grandkids enrolled in camp activities the past 3 years (this year I wasn't quite sure of when they would be here due to their activities at home or how long they would be staying). For the first 2 years we missed out on a few activities which we wanted, so last year I made sure I was at the box office when they opened on day 1. Although the rec. dept is in charge of the activities, I don't blame them for the fact that the events fill so quickly. It takes a lot of volunteers, both individual and clubs for each event and they can only accommodate so many children. If people want more activities, then I would suggest they volunteer to help.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:08 PM

I don't have any grandkids involved in this, so my thoughts are just that-thoughts. But there is such a demand, it would seem like the kids should be restricted to maybe 2 activities, or comparable to the number of actual activities. I found out last year that one of our neighbors g-kids went to activities at the camp for, I think 6 weeks. Which means, first of all, her g-kids were here longer than the 30 days a year the kids are supposed to be here, and secondly-I didn't realize that it was so hard to get into, but it seems lke they were into a lot of the activities. Is this the normal????
Maybe there could be a "pay it forward" and if some of the adult families volunteer to help out with the camp, then next year, maybe they could get 1 advanced choice as a reward-maybe that would help with having more classes. ??? Like I said, don't know anything about it, but things don't seem to fair to me. But I think it is a wonderful thing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.