Grandchildren Living In The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran member
Default Grandchildren Living In The Villages

I started a new thread on this subject since I was the one who began the discussion! Gracie and Bogie Shooter, I wish I could answer the questions you posted regarding this. Here is what I know: We played golf today with a couple who live in Hadley. I don't know their names and I don't know their address, and if I did know I wouldn't post that info here....I know you understand. They have lived in their home for over 3 years, that I can tell you. We were talking about the fact that there seems to be more and more young people living here and she relayed to me that in her neighborhood there are several couples who have their children, in their 20s, living back at home with them. She went on to tell me that across the cul-de-sac from her house there is a couple who added on to their home so they could take in their 2 young grandchildren. This did not sound to me like a 30-day visit, the supposed maximum that our grandchildren are allowed to be here. I'd like to think that there might be a legitimate reason as to why these little kids are living there. So, do I know this to be a fact? No, not from my own personal knowledge. The woman who told me about this seemed to be very nice and very honest. I had no reason to NOT believe her. She DOES live across the street and it would seem feasible that she would have her facts straight.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Sage

I thought there was a rule that noone under 19 could live in TV. Young children would be a no-no! Someone should look into this. As for adding on...there is a house backing up to Odell Circle between Hadley Pool and Odell Pool that is adding on a significant addition---wonder if that's the one you speak of??!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
I started a new thread on this subject since I was the one who began the discussion! Gracie and Bogie Shooter, I wish I could answer the questions you posted regarding this. Here is what I know: We played golf today with a couple who live in Hadley. I don't know their names and I don't know their address, and if I did know I wouldn't post that info here....I know you understand. They have lived in their home for over 3 years, that I can tell you. We were talking about the fact that there seems to be more and more young people living here and she relayed to me that in her neighborhood there are several couples who have their children, in their 20s, living back at home with them. She went on to tell me that across the cul-de-sac from her house there is a couple who added on to their home so they could take in their 2 young grandchildren. This did not sound to me like a 30-day visit, the supposed maximum that our grandchildren are allowed to be here. I'd like to think that there might be a legitimate reason as to why these little kids are living there. So, do I know this to be a fact? No, not from my own personal knowledge. The woman who told me about this seemed to be very nice and very honest. I had no reason to NOT believe her. She DOES live across the street and it would seem feasible that she would have her facts straight.
Did she know the ages of the two young grandchildren? If they are over 19 they are "legal". ( I have seven grandchildren over 19).

Deed enforcement is resident complaint controlled. An anonymous phone call will correct the problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I thought there was a rule that noone under 19 could live in TV. Young children would be a no-no! Someone should look into this. As for adding on...there is a house backing up to Odell Circle between Hadley Pool and Odell Pool that is adding on a significant addition---wonder if that's the one you speak of??!!!
I don't know where the house is, just that she said "Hadley". I don't know of any special circumstances which would allow young grandchildren to live with their grandparents but perhaps someone DOES know? What about disabilities of some kind? Are THOSE children under 19 allowed here?

Downeaster, I only heard her say that the grandchildren were young. I took that to mean that they were way under 19.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Sage

No, there are no special covenants or circumstances that would allow a person under 19 to be living in The Villages for more than 30 days a year.

All it takes is one person to blow the whistle and the homeowners would have to make other arrangements while they are caring for the under 19 year old.

Everyone signed the same documents when they moved to The Villages.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Buggyone -- Not everyone signed those documents -- long-term renters signed rental agreements and leases. The homeowners signed the CCRs.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Veteran member

I bought a resale and signed no documents saying young children were not allowed to live in the Villages.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
I bought a resale and signed no documents saying young children were not allowed to live in the Villages.
Then your Realtor did you a disservice. Go whoop his
Old 12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default "THOSE" Children

Made me shudder when I read VillagesFlorida write "children with disabilities...are THOSE children allowed to live here...ugh. Aside from whatever the rules are..."THOSE" children are no different from children with other abilities so let's be more sensitive. I am sure this person did not mean to say how their post sounds, but as someone who works with people with disabilities, it struck a nerve.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Made me shudder when I read VillagesFlorida write "children with disabilities...are THOSE children allowed to live here...ugh. Aside from whatever the rules are..."THOSE" children are no different from children with other abilities so let's be more sensitive. I am sure this person did not mean to say how their post sounds, but as someone who works with people with disabilities, it struck a nerve.
I didn't read it that way. I can't speak for the poster but I think they were making the point that maybe "THOSE" children would be excluded from the the contract.

With all due respect I think you might be sensitive because you work with people with "disabilities". I could say that as a person with a "disability" and, aren't we all, I could take exception to your pointing out that people with "disabilities" should be treated different. They really aren't any more different then the rest of us.... they just show their disability on the outside where the rest of us can hide ours on the inside.

Now.... back to topic. Children under 19 are not to be in The Villages for longer then 30 days and that's why many of us live here.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Bosoxfan

The Villages is an adult community and therefore noone under the age of 19 can live here, that is Florida law. Just like the 20% under 55 rule is Florida law not The Villages rules. If someone blows the whistle, the residents will be forced to make other arrangements.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Gold member

Just leave this alone.Care for yourself. We do not know the facts. Do not start making phone calls. Its the season.Be nice
Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Default Isn't this the holiday season?

If the children aren't bothering you directly let it go. What if you drop a dime on them and they are returned to an abusive or irresponsible parent. Then you read or hear about some tragedy - let their neighbors make and live with that choice.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Girl View Post
I didn't read it that way. I can't speak for the poster but I think they were making the point that maybe "THOSE" children would be excluded from the the contract.
I agree. If you notice, the word DOES is also capitalized, which makes me think that DOES and THOSE were written in upper case for emphasis.

Just my opinion........
Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Sage

All that stuff is in the deed restrictions. You do not sign on to the deed restrictions, they go with the land. If you have not read them prior to closing, shame on you!! In the last section of the restrictions for my district, it says that the owners have an obligation to see that the restrictions are enforced, including by litigation. A bit harsh maybe, but it ensures equal and even enforcement.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.