Grandkids discussion

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2022, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Grandkids are the second reason village residents move out of TV. First is death.

I couldn't imagine any of our kids telling us what to do, of course they don't depend on us for financial support, or watching their kids or animals. They are however buying our north home, as investment, we will be renting from them during summer's
Old 11-23-2022, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
My wife and I have considering moving to TV. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from TV.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in PA and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in PA in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Would love to hear some opinions on this subject.
Thank you
My wife and I are in our late 50s. Primary home in PA, 2nd home in TV.
All4 of our parents we VERY involved wtih our kids, as they were growing up.
When we first visited the Villages, we BOTH said our parents should have bought there and spent time there - the grandparents would be in much better shape emotionally, physically, etc, if they spent winters more active.
When we are in FLA in Jan, we see couples the same age as our parents, out all day, being active, and our parents are at home, in the cold on their iPad.

Personally, your compromise snowbirding, being in PA from April to Christmas will allow you to enjoy many more years with your grandkids.

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 11-23-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
The Villages is a nice place to visit for a few months at a time, but it’s not home.
It is home for us. We love it year-round. Frogs! HTWC!
🐸🐸
Old 11-23-2022, 03:34 PM
Platinum member

I guess it depends on many factors. How old are your Grands? How often
do you see your kids & grands now?

If your wife is unsure I would do what you’re doing and consider your move
carefully.

Definitely don’t let your kids dissuade you.
Actually think your split time idea a really good one.

Good luck with your decision.

P.S. If your wife is going to be unhappy I wouldn’t do it.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:41 PM

To Papa_L. I have not laughed so much, so hard, on a post! Wife says you're a poopy head, but I tend to agree with you.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 PM

Had very dear friends/neighbors in TV about 10 years ago. The wife decided she just had to be back in Michigan with the daughters and grandkids. So, they sold the home in TV and moved back. First surprise was that older daughter had divorced and never told them and the other daughter was involved with work and kids and not around much. They stayed in Michigan for a while but finally decided to leave there as they weren't seeing much of the family. They bounced around the country, looking for a place to re-settle. Ultimately ended up with summer home in Myrtle Beach (both are avid golfers) and winter home in Country Club MHP in Wildwood/Leesburg area. Very unhappy with Myrtle Beach, have not been able to make close golfing buddies there, big golfing tourist area but not so much for full-time residents. They had several groups they golfed with here in TV. I have heard nothing but how unhappy they have been that they left TV, the last time was a week ago. So 10 years of lamenting that move. Be careful what you wish for.... What's that old saying???? You can't go home again???
Old 11-23-2022, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

It can be tough. Our plan is to spend the summer in our camper and the winters in The Villages. For my wife to retire at 57 years old we need to sell our house in Massachusetts but we can’t. Our daughter and now 7 year old grandson lives with us. They have been with us since he was born and I refuse to put them on the street. Because of this we only get to our house 5-6 weeks a year. Our ultimate plan would to be in Florida from Oct 15 to May 15. Hopefully someday.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
The Villages is a nice place to visit for a few months at a time, but it’s not home.

You are in the minority.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
You are in the minority.
I agree with you. Live here full time and very happy!
Old 11-23-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
My wife and I have considering moving to TV. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from TV.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in PA and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in PA in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Would love to hear some opinions on this subject.
Thank you
If you build it or buy it, they will come. The big mouse is not far away!
Old 11-23-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Hmmmmm....sorry that your children are not willing to meet you part way and accept your offer to compromise. I can promise you this...when it comes time for the grandchildren to be heavily invested in school activities, friends, sports and everything else that occupies kid's waking hours - they won't be missing you as you miss them! Grands find it easier to 'cut the cord' than do the grandparents! lol

It is not fair of your children to not support your wishes and dreams. My sisters and I always told our parents "you don't have to leave us anything when you die - spend what you have now and enjoy it - you earned it!'. So, too, have you earned the future you want; and your kids have earned their independence because of all you taught them and already did for them.

Bottom line - do what is best for you...all others will adapt!
Very well said. At first my wife was a bit reluctant to leave the g kids for very long. But after our lifestyle visit in January she had a new perspective. We're both very fit and active, and we love to be outdoors. Something we can't do here in Indiana in the winter. So it didn't take us long to figure out this was the place for us.

We just bought a home in TV last January and love it there. We both retire in Sept. We plan on snowbirding for 4 years or so (Late Oct to April) unitl the grands get older.

As you said, about the time they hit 12 or so they get very busy with other stuff, and less involved with the grandparents. Eventually we see ourselves there full time.

We'll go back for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then maybe do an Airbnb for a month or so during the summer.

As some have said here, we consider this our time. And we plan on enjoying every minute.

All that said, there's really no right or wrong way. Everyone has different priorities in life, you just have to balance them.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:17 PM

Your planned comprimise to spend 3-4 months in PA and the rest of the year here in TV is completely fair and reasonable. The younger generation should be a bit more selfless and think of your happiness during your retirement years. Plus, as others have said, they're going to enjoy their visits here and ultimately see your point of view. This assumes that both you and your wife are in agreement with the snowbirding plan. To have a happy marriage, any big decision takes two yesses or one no. This means husband and wife......NOT any other generation.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:51 PM

How about snow birding ...

Live in Florida in summer, when it gets to 60 degrees in winter, hop on a cruise ship and go south !!
Old 11-23-2022, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

My parents moved from Sonoma County, CA to be near their grandkids whose father had moved to the Tampa Bay area for work.

That marriage broke up ten or so years later and those grandkids ended up in Sonoma County and Las Vegas, NV.

And my younger brother married again into a family with people all over including Jamaica, NYC, and Orlando.

The grandkids do visit from time-to-time but college and work take them many places.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

How self centered could adult children be? Denying you the opportunity to live a dream life. We had two out of three kids support us and one that didn’t. He came around but it took several years.

I got him in a private conversation and let him know how happy his mom is and that his approval was not necessary for us to move. Things are just fine now. The supportive sons worked him over in my behalf.

Our promotion from King and Queen babysitters was fantastic. It’s better being a grandparent without the daily grind of raising kids again.

I drop anything I have going on and get grandma to the little ones when she need a fix.

Your answer has to come from both of you. You have to be on the same page. It had its rough spots but it worked out fine. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, love, grand, moving, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.