Grandkids discussion

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2022, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Summertime in the north and winter in the south is not reverse snowbird - it is snowbird. Nothing new about your proposal. The majority of snowbirds are snowbirds for two main reasons:
1 It is too hot for human existence here in FL in the summer months
2 Summer is the season to spend the most time with the grandkids
Those non-humans who live here through the summer months are actually from Mars where our normal temperature is 950 degrees. We find it quite chilly here in the Summer months and enjoy it very much. We do find the Humans that start to migrate in after summer a little annoying though.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
My wife and I have considering moving to TV. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from TV.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in PA and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in PA in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Would love to hear some opinions on this subject.
Thank you
I would suggest you stay where you are and let your children control your life while you enjoy your grandchildren who will frustrate you as they migrate to their friends and their own lives where they will have little time for their grandparents.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

They are losing their built-in babysitter. that's why they don't want you to move. In a few years, the grands won't want anything to do with you.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Tough situation, I feel for you. I haven't had to deal with this, but I hope you and your wife find a healthy balance without being influenced by guilt from the kids who selfishly may need free babysitters. FaceTime is a beautiful tool, hopefully your wife can visit birthday events that way!
Old 11-24-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I would do it if you want to do it , not because you feel guilty . I know a lot of people who split the year , it’s a great benefit to be able to stay connected to your roots. If I was ever forced to make a choice between both places no matter how much I love the villages I would choose Boston . I think many people as much as they love being in Florida would love to go back to there home towns , but the costs of those communities they have left has gotten to high .FYI for me my plan since the day I came to fl over 20 years ago , was to always go home for good at around 85 years old, well I’ll very soon be 84 and I still have the same plan , Florida has been fun , but it’s not Boston
I lived within 50 miles of Boston my whole life. I raised my children in NH. 7 years ago after being divorced, I met someone from Florida and eventually moved down here. I was very close to my children but they were older with their own lives. I had a 1 year old grandson and it was very hard for me to move and leave them in NH. I'm fortunate enough to be able to travel back to NH about six times a year. We travel to NH and stay with my daughter for a few weeks in the summer. I also face time with her and now two grandchildren almost every weekend. I still miss them like crazy but they have jobs and their kids are involved in sports, so the time we would be able to be with them would be limited. I worked my whole life to get to this point and to retire and travel. I raised my kids to be hard workers and to be independent and they are wonderful humans. It takes a while to get used to being apart but it gets easier.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
My wife and I have considering moving to TV. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from TV.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in PA and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in PA in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Thank you
This is a tough one. We’re lucky; my parents bought here in TV over 30 years ago, so the kids have been visiting since they were toddlers, and they love it here. When we bought our house and I expressed my concerns to my eldest son, he said, “Mom, we’re closer to grandma & grandpa who go to FL than we are to our grandparents who are here all year.” It told me it really is quality over quantity. Here are some things we do to help:
*We go back to MN in the summers and “overdose” on grandkids’ activities.
*We usually go back for about 10 days before Christmas. We love the early Christmas because they don’t have to leave for another gathering & the grandkids have their “first” Christmas with us. Plus the travel is cheaper. I even have the house decorated & the tree up before we leave in the fall.
*We give them the option of receiving either Christmas gifts or a flight here during their spring break. They’ve chosen the flight every year so far. It is SO fun to have them here and we get them 24/7.
It has worked for us for the last 9 years and we feel like the luckiest people on the planet. That being said, it’s not for everyone. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:33 AM

Your wife has love in her heart and loves her kids/grandkids. I find that commendable.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:36 AM

We have the 4 youngest grands for 4-6 weeks every summer. They love coming down here something to look forward too. With FaceTime and couple short visits throughout the year, it works. As they get older with friends, school activities etc. they develop their own life, as should you.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:45 AM

Thank you all for your comments. We have a lot to think about.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Thank you
Spending the summer up north is not reverse snowbirding, it is the definition of snowbirding.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Thank you
I would snowbird if I could financially, but I cannot. That being said, if grandkids are old enough to fly by themselves that is an option. If not they will be someday. We only have so many years to enjoy our retirement, if needed I can fly home and spend some time!
Old 11-24-2022, 08:19 AM

Everyone is different.. you have to go with your heart. I know that the grandkids grow up and are less interested in their grandparents. I saw this with my own kids and our parents. So now, we live for us and see them when we can. My sister isn't like me. She has to live within basically walking distance from hers. My brother-in-law is miserable with this. He wants to live here more than anywhere. Makes me sad. We only have this life. Do what makes you happy. ❤️
Old 11-24-2022, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

"The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive."

That's a really poor attitude on their part and I would ignore it. Sounds like they like the free services provided by their parents.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
my wife and i have considering moving to tv. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from tv.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in pa and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in pa in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Thank you
every heard of divorce?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:28 AM

stay put, you will regret the move.. blood is too thick to be ignored, been there done that. now back in nc.
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, love, grand, moving, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.