Grandson's first golf swing

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Gold member
Default Grandson's first golf swing

After watching my grandson's first golf swing I can't wait to get him out in The Villages for a round of golf. Here he is hitting his very first golf ball at the driving range.

Grandson Hits Golf Ball First Time With Perfect Golf Swing - YouTube
Old 07-24-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Not bad for an 8 year old that has never done it before.

One of my teachers early on was the great Paul Runyan. Held told me that kids are great imitators. When teaching groups of young people, he would place them in a circle facing in and holding a club. He would then stand in the center of the circle and make practice swings asking them to copy what he was doing. He got great results with this method.

So many times we try to teach children how to play golf and we start with the old chestnuts. Keep your left arm straight, turn, shift your weight and the most damaging of all, "keep your head down". What we usually do it confuse them and encourage paralysis through analysis.

Show the kids video of great players. Al Geiberger did a great video series called Sybervision. You can find it on youtube. Get your young aspiring golfers to watch it and then leave them alone. Or better yet, take video of them and show them their swing along side Al Geiberger's Sybervision swings. And above all, don't try yo teach them too much all at once. A teaspoon at at time is what is needed.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:12 AM
Platinum member

I taught my daughter to play. We started with 1 foot putts and when I was satisfied, we started chipping. It was months before I allowed her to swing a wood. Her senior year, she was the medalist in every event she played. Her college had no sports program and she slowly drifted away from golf altogether. Her younger sister was not as gifted, but still breaks 90 regularly.
My point is, teach a child how to play golf rather than how to hit golf balls.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:09 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Many children across the globe are great beginner golfers, then they get into high school where many of them are excellent, then they get into college where a few of them excel, then they try to go pro and for most that is where it ends. Our son, who is no longer with us, at age 11 entered his first league tournament and won his age group, he then played against the winners of the age 10, 12, and 14 and became the grand champion beating them all. He did not play in high school as his first love was soccer in which he also excelled. He continued to play golf almost daily living on a country club course until the end. Golf is a great individual sport, maybe the greatest and I really enjoy watching the little ones play and learn the game such as your grandson. Thank you for the video.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

TV rules are 12 years old to play course. You also have the option if they are younger to schedule with a pro, who evaluates the child. If pro approves the under 12yo they are good to play on TV course. Beware, some will not be kind when they see a child on the course, even if they have been evacuated by a pro.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I taught my daughter to play. We started with 1 foot putts and when I was satisfied, we started chipping. It was months before I allowed her to swing a wood. Her senior year, she was the medalist in every event she played. Her college had no sports program and she slowly drifted away from golf altogether. Her younger sister was not as gifted, but still breaks 90 regularly.
My point is, teach a child how to play golf rather than how to hit golf balls.
I've taught hundreds of new golfers to play using this method.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Many children across the globe are great beginner golfers, then they get into high school where many of them are excellent, then they get into college where a few of them excel, then they try to go pro and for most that is where it ends. Our son, who is no longer with us, at age 11 entered his first league tournament and won his age group, he then played against the winners of the age 10, 12, and 14 and became the grand champion beating them all. He did not play in high school as his first love was soccer in which he also excelled. He continued to play golf almost daily living on a country club course until the end. Golf is a great individual sport, maybe the greatest and I really enjoy watching the little ones play and learn the game such as your grandson. Thank you for the video.
That happens in pretty much every sport. As they move up in levels the competitions gets stronger.

I had a friend who excelled in four sports. He was the running back for one of the largest high schools in the country. He also pitched and batted over .500 in high school and was the captain of the basketball and hockey team. He was drafted by the Chicago Cubs and spent several years being jockeyed back and forth between the minors and majors. What he found put was that almost everyone at the major league level had a similar background. After being the best at everything for his whole life now he was just another player. Those that go to the top of their sport are the best of the best.

My friend was also an excellent golfer and won his city championship a few times.

I was a decent golfer myself but when I went up against mini tour and future PGA tour players I could not compete. I would play my absolute best and get beaten, at times, by 5-8 shots.

It's one thing to be very good but it's another to be the best of the best.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That happens in pretty much every sport. As they move up in levels the competitions gets stronger.

I had a friend who excelled in four sports. He was the running back for one of the largest high schools in the country. He also pitched and batted over .500 in high school and was the captain of the basketball and hockey team. He was drafted by the Chicago Cubs and spent several years being jockeyed back and forth between the minors and majors. What he found put was that almost everyone at the major league level had a similar background. After being the best at everything for his whole life now he was just another player. Those that go to the top of their sport are the best of the best.

My friend was also an excellent golfer and won his city championship a few times.

I was a decent golfer myself but when I went up against mini tour and future PGA tour players I could not compete. I would play my absolute best and get beaten, at times, by 5-8 shots.

It's one thing to be very good but it's another to be the best of the best.
Exactly, once they leave their local or college bubble reality kicks in.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I started my grandson aged about 9 with local club with junior group.
By age of twelve he was a fair little golfer.
Then he got his first X-box for Christmas!
Old 07-26-2021, 05:11 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
After watching my grandson's first golf swing I can't wait to get him out in The Villages for a round of golf. Here he is hitting his very first golf ball at the driving range.

Looks like a future Phil Mickelson.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:47 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Junior golf

Buy him junior clubs and give him lessons. My grandson started lessons in the villages at age 7 and now at age 16 hits the ball 300+ yards. He now plays a game very different than mine but I love to watch it.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:21 AM

If you are successful taking him out, plz also teach him golf etiquette. There’s nothing more annoying than a slow golfer, child OR adult, who doesn’t know golf etiquette. Thanking you in advance.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:05 AM

Great swing!!
Old 07-26-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post

He’s a natural!
Old 07-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Gold member

I really couldn't believe his very first swing. He surprised everyone who was watching him! Would be great if this short clip could be shown before his first Masters in the year 2034.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, grandsons, swing, range, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.