Granny Post - Please?

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Sage
Default Granny Post - Please?

Admins - I don't see why the grandmother/granddaughter Ipod post was pulled.

It wasn't THAT contentious. These are just opinions on interesting subjects.

Am i wrong?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Granny Post - Please?

Not wrong Russ...I agree.

Must be the heat down here (or the horse park vote) because all of a sudden we are all sniping at each other. :dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I can't find anywhere that an admin pulled that post. In what board had it been posted?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM

How weird. I posted an answer to what Russ said about maybe the grandchild was tired of hearing Granny talk. My post was humorous, so I don't think that got it pulled. (I'm getting paranoid.)
New Jersey
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Maybe Jan pulled it for whatever reason. It was his thread.

Maybe the admins could think about changing their policy -- once a thread has a response, the original post cannot be pulled by anyone but the administrators. People like to see what they have written. I know this works well for my parenting board. That way, someone can't just yank something because it didn't get the response they wanted and others don't scream censorship. The other thing I've done is locked threads a lot quicker than they get locked here -- if it is getting too contentious or the same things are being said over and over, it is locked.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Sage

Red,

good suggestions....it doesn't seem right for the originator to pull a thread once responses have been posted; tis better for the admin to lock these threads, especially if some of the ensuing posts have interest or value to the general reader.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Gold member

I had asked this earlier and am asking again: Does anyone know what happened to this thread about the (supposed) grandmother and granddaughter to which I had also responded? I agree that threads should be able to be locked but not to have them disappear on us!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Lanier
the (supposed) grandmother and granddaughter
Are you suggesting that the post I made was not true?

As administrators (and owners) of this fourm, we work very hard to make it successful and enjoyable. We receive emails every single day from people complaining about one thing or another, one person or another, what they have said, how they have said it. We get dozens of requests from people to block other people. We have members who never post, but read every day. We have members who post every day about every subject. Every day we receive emails from people wanting us to ban certain regular posters.

There will always be people who disagree with the actions of the administrators (owners). There are a couple of members here who have a build-in dislike for the administrators. (me particularly). There are even members who think that we, as administrators, should not try to stimulate conversation. (I have been in this business my whole adult life, and it has always been like this.)

We cannot put ourselves in a postion of discussing every decision we make with the membership. When we feel that something has undermined the good of the forum, we sometimes have to an take action. Not everybody will like those decisions, but when has that ever been any different. Occasionally, people post things that serve so good purpose and the only way to maintain stablility is to delete the whole thread. I deleted the thread, and that's that.

We have a significant financial investment in this forum (over $10,000). It is our intention to protect our investment and someday, have a return on our money.

JLK
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Jan,

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything needing deletion.

It's a hard job you have.

Jan from Jersey
New Jersey
Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Sage

To The Administrators

We are so lucky that you designed this site. I would be dejected being in Canada for the summer without such a great way to stay in touch with the local issues. I personally support your decision making 1000%. You are giving us all such a gift with this website. Thank you so much for all your hard work.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Sage

Jan,

Thanks for your post....we need to be reminded from time to time how difficult it is to administer a site this size and keep most of the members placated (happy would be asking too much).

I may not always agree with the actions you take, but, wholeheartedly support your right and need to do so.

As with most controversial issues, we grumble and grouse for a few days then the furor dies down and we move on to the next hot topic.

Thanks again for all that you, Tony, and Darrel do to keep this site going. It's hard to imagine a future without TOTV.

See you on the cruise!!!

V07

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.