Grass roots growing under curbing

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2023, 02:20 PM
Default Grass roots growing under curbing

We have zoysia grass and the roots from the grass grow under the curbing and spread into the flower beds. We spray the grass and it kills the grass. The grass keeps coming back we need to stop the the roots from spreading under the curbing. Is there a way to stop this from happening?
Old 07-11-2023, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag460 View Post
We have zoysia grass and the roots from the grass grow under the curbing and spread into the flower beds. We spray the grass and it kills the grass. The grass keeps coming back we need to stop the the roots from spreading under the curbing. Is there a way to stop this from happening?
No,
Old 07-12-2023, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Have the same issue. The only thing that is going to stop them is enough concrete between the bed and the yard that they runners can't span it. I suppose if you could drive landscape edging really deep that might do it too, but I'm thinking that it would be a least a foot needed.

I spray weekly, and bought a weed burner to burn up the grass after it dies. I have rocks, not mulch. Still a never ending battle.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Had the same thing happen with St. Augustine grass. The runners were--well--running, to places I didn't want them. Like under the flower bed edging, seams in patio, etc. The only thing that worked was a tool that I bought at Lowe's: back home we called 'em ice scrapers but I don't know what they're called down here. Sort of looks like a long-handled shovel but instead of a shovel it is fitted with a thin blade about 10" wide or so, with the sharp end down. I sharpened the blade end and thrust it down into the ground around the edging, working around until I circled the entire bed (or patio). Hard work, and I had to re-sharpen the blade several times.

I got most of the runners, but they do come back with time. Not very much time, unfortunately, and I still had to pull up what had spread into the bed or the patio seams.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:00 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

R U sure it's not Torpedo Grass???

Need special treatment to kill.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Some weeds are like rotten neighbors.They refuse to go away.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

landscape fabric ??
Old 07-13-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Had the same thing happen with St. Augustine grass. The runners were--well--running, to places I didn't want them. Like under the flower bed edging, seams in patio, etc. The only thing that worked was a tool that I bought at Lowe's: back home we called 'em ice scrapers but I don't know what they're called down here. Sort of looks like a long-handled shovel but instead of a shovel it is fitted with a thin blade about 10" wide or so, with the sharp end down. I sharpened the blade end and thrust it down into the ground around the edging, working around until I circled the entire bed (or patio). Hard work, and I had to re-sharpen the blade several times.

I got most of the runners, but they do come back with time. Not very much time, unfortunately, and I still had to pull up what had spread into the bed or the patio seams.
Just be sure you know where your irrigation lines are!
Old 07-13-2023, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Some weeds are like rotten neighbors.They refuse to go away.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
The grass keeps coming back we need to stop the the roots from spreading under the curbing. Is there a way to stop this from happening?
Yes!!! You have to put in a physical barrier to stop the Zoysia grass from spreading.

Lowes and Home Depot sell plastic edging 6 inches deep. If you put that all the way down in the ground just outside the curbing, it will stop the grass from invading your plants.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, curbing, roots, stop, spreading

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.