Green fees increase for Month of May

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2021, 09:54 PM

I just wish they would put more effort in their fairways?!!! Working the golf courses here, I understand how much they get beat up, but I'd really like them to work on the concrete fairways(WATER!), so an average golfer like me, doesn't have to struggle to get the ball off the ground?! And then, to pay the higher prices(not currently employed, so no discount), for this is not worth it for me! Definitely, going outside the bubble, for much better rates, and sometimes extremely better conditions! Cheers!
Old 04-25-2021, 12:24 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The golf courses are designed as emergency flood plains, so they are seemingly protected from development. That does not mean they couldn’t be converted into some other form of recreational activities, but not homesites. The clubhouses on the other hand have been proven to be fair game. Who knows, some day whenever one pulls up to a Championship course, they could be greeted by a high rise rental apartment complex and the pro shop is nothing but a starter shack?
I think that is very possible; there was a time I would have thought that such a ridiculous statement that it wasn't worth even taking up print, now something tells me it is completely possible, that golf courses, designated as flood areas could, with the right moves (and possibly the right persuasion or incentive, or the "right" people are in office) could indeed make it possible to subdivide courses and sell as lots.... been here long enough to know anything is possible, including high rise apartments, and anything else that fuels the business. Yes, it's capitalism at it's most efficient and effective mode for sure.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:35 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I just wish they would put more effort in their fairways?!!! Working the golf courses here, I understand how much they get beat up, but I'd really like them to work on the concrete fairways(WATER!), so an average golfer like me, doesn't have to struggle to get the ball off the ground?! And then, to pay the higher prices(not currently employed, so no discount), for this is not worth it for me! Definitely, going outside the bubble, for much better rates, and sometimes extremely better conditions! Cheers!
By working at times on the courses, do you agree that the "marshals" which they insist on calling "ambassadors" here are instructed to be so absolutely blind to the abuse that goes on that it is almost unbelievable ANY course, private, semi-private, and public park district course would put up with the things that go on here ! ! Stepping into and out a trap at the VERY highest point, stepping right ON the HOLE when taking out or putting in the pin, rakes thrown anywhere, players not making any attempt to rake, and driving a cart RIGHT onto an apron is not uncommon, slow play is never given a warning, it truly is unbelievable what is tolerated here in the name of being "the friendly golf community". I am sure we would all be horrified at how much $$ we could save in maintenance if marshals were polite but FIRM with members and guests ! If members were given a certain agreed on number of warnings and then lost golfing privileges. Sure they pay amenity fees too, but, does paying my amenity fees entitle me to destroy golf course traps, greens ? To destroy pools, rec center furniture, drive through gate arms ? A little more attention and firm, not harsh, FIRM, hand would save a GREAT DEAL.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, supply and demand dictates the ability to charge a higher rate. The people that run this place have purposely created a favorable supply and demand situation to support price increases by building a crapload of new houses since Belle Glade opened (the last Championship course to open), without adding a single new hole of Championship golf. Where we live during the summer, it is a different dynamic because the population of old retired people is small relative to the general population. We can play really nice courses during weekdays, with the senior citizen discount, for between $28 - $42 with a cart. The only hitch is you have to get out early enough to make the turn before the horn sounds and the working folks slide down the dinosaurs tail and rush to the courses for leagues. The same courses cost $55 - $75 to play on weekends, unless you go out after 3 PM on Sundays. It's all supply and demand driven.
You make several excellent points. My golfing buddies and I were talking just yesterday about how there are 9 championship courses from 466A going north, and only 3 from 466A going south, at this point. I play championship courses twice a week. Priority member. I go north for about 5 months a year, so I get the priority for 6 months, November-April.

I'll spare everyone the itemized math, but for 6 months (the prime months of golf in TV), playing 2x/week, with priority membership, totals about 3250, which averages about $63/ round. Not dirt cheap, but not excessive, IMO.

Conditions aren't in line with top level private country clubs, but I'd be paying many times more per round for that luxury, including paying dues, assessments, initiation fees, restaurant minimums, etc. even for the months I'm up north.

As far as the "golfing experience" here, I'm happy with it. Courses are not overly crowded, and pace-of-play has been rarely a problem, and frankly, sometimes when it has been, it may have been our group that was responsible, and I appreciate the gentle push to keep up moving. It saves me the trouble of being the one to tell the slowpoke in our group to speed it up. All season long, I heard it once. One time in six months and we were politely informed to pick up our pace, and I was happy about it, because one of my group, while we struggling to keep pace, was hawking balls out of a water hazard.

As far as conditions, I agree, they aren't great, and at Havana, they were beyond horrible the one time I played it, but generally, we just "move them everywhere, place them in the bunkers" and move on. We are not playing for big money, and I'm cool with that. I've belonged to , and played at many private clubs in my life, and very few of them were in pristine shape.

One more point about the clubs that offer cheap deals. They are generally doing it out of desperation. There are a ton of clubs right on the edge of financial non-viability, and these bargain deals are their way to just barely stay afloat. It's the reality of golf right now. It costs enough to maintain a course, that many people aren't willing to pay what it costs per round to support it, so clubs have to cut corners when it comes to maintenance, and lower green fees just stay open. Every year, where I go in the summer, there seems to be another club that has closed up. So I wouldn't necessarily look at those super cheap greens fees as the ideal business model for the courses here in TV.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
You make several excellent points. My golfing buddies and I were talking just yesterday about how there are 9 championship courses from 466A going north, and only 3 from 466A going south, at this point. I play championship courses twice a week. Priority member. I go north for about 5 months a year, so I get the priority for 6 months, November-April.

I'll spare everyone the itemized math, but for 6 months (the prime months of golf in TV), playing 2x/week, with priority membership, totals about 3250, which averages about $63/ round. Not dirt cheap, but not excessive, IMO.

Conditions aren't in line with top level private country clubs, but I'd be paying many times more per round for that luxury, including paying dues, assessments, initiation fees, restaurant minimums, etc. even for the months I'm up north.

As far as the "golfing experience" here, I'm happy with it. Courses are not overly crowded, and pace-of-play has been rarely a problem, and frankly, sometimes when it has been, it may have been our group that was responsible, and I appreciate the gentle push to keep up moving. It saves me the trouble of being the one to tell the slowpoke in our group to speed it up. All season long, I heard it once. One time in six months and we were politely informed to pick up our pace, and I was happy about it, because one of my group, while we struggling to keep pace, was hawking balls out of a water hazard.

As far as conditions, I agree, they aren't great, and at Havana, they were beyond horrible the one time I played it, but generally, we just "move them everywhere, place them in the bunkers" and move on. We are not playing for big money, and I'm cool with that. I've belonged to , and played at many private clubs in my life, and very few of them were in pristine shape.

One more point about the clubs that offer cheap deals. They are generally doing it out of desperation. There are a ton of clubs right on the edge of financial non-viability, and these bargain deals are their way to just barely stay afloat. It's the reality of golf right now. It costs enough to maintain a course, that many people aren't willing to pay what it costs per round to support it, so clubs have to cut corners when it comes to maintenance, and lower green fees just stay open. Every year, where I go in the summer, there seems to be another club that has closed up. So I wouldn't necessarily look at those super cheap greens fees as the ideal business model for the courses here in TV.

You are one of the few who give an honest and factual accounting of golf here. Every few days there is a new post on here about how bad the courses are and how expensive. This past year the rough was to high, then it is too low. Been here 10 years have very few issues with getting tee times, the conditions of the courses for the majority of the time and handicap has gotten lower playing the ball where it lies. Great post and wish more golfers were around like you.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

I’m surprised they haven’t converted one of the championships to a real country club financial model. I would think there are 250 people in the Villages who would pay $7000 for a real CC experience. You pay annual dues: then no green fees, exclusive access to the restaurant/pool.

Do the math, 250 *7000 = $1.75 million. That’s 23,000 rounds at $75 each
Old 04-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I’m surprised they haven’t converted one of the championships to a real country club financial model. I would think there are 250 people in the Villages who would pay $7000 for a real CC experience. You pay annual dues: then no green fees, exclusive access to the restaurant/pool.

& what is the advantage to The Villages organizations???
Old 04-25-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Play more and they will build more courses. Supply and demand

Protest and abandon the courses?? Guess what will happen.
There will be 1 new championship opening south of 44 this year with 4 four already planned
Old 04-25-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post

Lets look at you logic.

"County Clubs" are closing all over the US.

Part of the promise of buying here ALL residents would be members of the Championship Courses

A super busy Championship course in the villages does over 100000 rounds per year, @ lets say $30.00 per round, hmmmmm 3, 000,000!

They don't have to worry about the staffing and running the restaurant.

And WHY would they change the MODEL that works and has worked

HMMMMM, to make maybe 250 golfers privileged? And only can play that course?

Think about it!
Old 04-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do all of the off campus courses you referenced take T-Times? My wife and I ventured outside the bubble to play at Baseline in Ocala, but they don’t take T-Times. We won’t be returning there as there was about an hour and 45 minute wait.
They all take tee times except Baseline.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
There will be 1 new championship opening south of 44 this year with 4 four already planned
Where did this information come from? I pay attention to this stuff, and I've seen firm public plans for one new 18 hole golf course only - Southern Oaks.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Where did this information come from? I pay attention to this stuff, and I've seen firm public plans for one new 18 hole golf course only - Southern Oaks.
Fact, there are 2 more championship courses already planned and 2 more on the books, for a total of 5 championship courses spouth of 44. As a employee we have been told.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:03 PM

If you cant afford the heat, close the kitchen.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:15 AM

Wondering how the protests are going???? Courses seem full!
Closed Thread

Tags
fees, year, rate, green, increase

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.