Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Nonsense...
Sense. Most certainly.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Actually, no one knows it until it has been tried. You might be surprised. Or not. But until it is actually tried, it is still unknown.
No one is stopping anyone from bringing reusable bags into a grocery store. So, what is the problem?
Old 03-28-2024, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Actually, no one knows it until it has been tried. You might be surprised. Or not. But until it is actually tried, it is still unknown.
The states that people are fleeing have eliminated the bags.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No one is stopping anyone from bringing reusable bags into a grocery store. So, what is the problem?
There is still a choice. As long as there is a choice, someone is going to make the wrong choice and do the wrong thing. We can't have people doing the wrong thing. We can't allow choices. (Gross generalization, not my personal feelings)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-28-2024, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For some, no problem. Others want plastic bags provided. There in lies the concern. That the ubiquitous plastic grocery bag may go the way of the dodo In a move to help clean up the environment. Pick a side and join the discussion.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
One of the biggest sources of microplastics is the washing of synthetic fabrics. Plastic bags are chump change.
I believe that the LINK we read said otherwise - basically that plastic bags were a big part of the islands of plastic in the Gulf and the Pacific Ocean.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
The states that people are fleeing have eliminated the bags.
When new arriving Floridians that want to be all year residents - feel the summer HEAT and humidity and the reality of hurricanes - they will be "fleeing back up north". Also, many people are NOT aware that hurricanes in the vicinity of TV Land then SPAWN out tornadoes, which are more dangerous than the hurricanes.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:08 AM

Here's another interesting article about the trash island in the Pacific (1 of 5 around the world).

10 interesting facts about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

There's a close up picture of the floating plastic and it's mostly chunks, not bags, but it sounds like the fragile plastic breaks down into small pieces quickly. They say 74% of the diet of sea turtles within the GPGP consists of plastic debris and 46% of the island is fishing nets. They also say they are going to have 90% of the floating stuff cleaned up in the next 15 to 20 years but most of it isn't floating.

I can't guess to the accuracy as it is written by Eradicate Plastic, they may be biased.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is still a choice. As long as there is a choice, someone is going to make the wrong choice and do the wrong thing. We can't have people doing the wrong thing. We can't allow choices. (Gross generalization, not my personal feelings)
One word.

Legislature.

If people feel strongly enough about something, then approach your legislator and make your feelings known. If enough people who feel as strongly approach THEIR legislators and make their like feelings known, then in time legislative action may be taken with possibly a law passed that reflects those strong feelings. And, of course, if the governor of the state under discussion agrees, he or she will sign it into law. Otherwise, my condolences on their passionate, albeit fruitless, efforts.

It is the way things work in America. Of the people, by the people, and for the people. No minority, no matter how strongly they feel about something, gets to thwart the will of the majority.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
True
Except you had a recent 'mandate' that was widely rejected by the majority of Floridians, TV no exception.....as a sample. You're in the wrong state for this type of governance.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
One word.

Legislature.

If people feel strongly enough about something, then approach your legislator and make your feelings known. If enough people who feel as strongly approach THEIR legislators and make their like feelings known, then in time legislative action may be taken with possibly a law passed that reflects those strong feelings. And, of course, if the governor of the state under discussion agrees, he or she will sign it into law. Otherwise, my condolences on their passionate, albeit fruitless, efforts.

It is the way things work in America. Of the people, by the people, and for the people. No minority, no matter how strongly they feel about something, gets to thwart the will of the majority.
That discussion makes my point.

I'm thinking of two phrases, one is "tyranny of the majority" and the other gets a little to close to the line to mention in this post.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
For some, no problem. Others want plastic bags provided. There in lies the concern. That the ubiquitous plastic grocery bag may go the way of the dodo In a move to help clean up the environment. Pick a side and join the discussion.
Plastic grocery bags may eventually become obsolete. But, there are about 10 Publix stores in The Villages area and I shop at one at least 4 times per week. Publix is the most successful grocery store in the area, if not in the state. My unscientific estimate is that at least 80 percent of customers rely on the free plastic bags to transport their groceries. I don't think it is anywhere near time to force those shoppers to change their habits just because a minority has an environmental agenda.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Lol exactly Communist thinking. And who decided what is the wrong choice? The dictator/head party member.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Why do people who come to Florida want to make it like the state they just fled from ?
Old 03-28-2024, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Why do people who come to Florida want to make it like the state they just fled from ?
You forgot other countries too. Just sayin'
Closed Thread

Tags
plastic, bags, grocery, store, studies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.