Grocery Store plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2024, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I bring my own cloth bags. Maybe the sores in Florida should REWARD their customers that bring in their own cloth bags. Maybe something small as a reward like a 3% discount on purchases.
Considering that 3% is MORE that the grocery store's profit margin, I doubt that will happen...

"Grocery stores operate on razor-thin profit margins. The industry average is between one and three percent, far below other retail sectors..."

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
So, looks like the Oil and Gas industry has messed up America in more ways than one. As to Teflon coated pans - apparently cast iron cookware is superior in every way. Funny how sometimes the best solution is to look backwards toward the OLDER time tested methods.
.......I wonder if the US Amish population have less micro particles floating around in their blood streams. I imagine that they avoid PLASTICS as much as possible.
Quote:
I hate the whole concept of tips. Very old-fashion! A restaurant or other business should pay their people and have "NO TIPPING" signs on their doors and everywhere, until that STUPID system is abolished!
Ummm...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
But, that does NOT solve the problem that the lightweight plastic bags BLOW around and adversely affect the environment.
Quote:
Plastic eyeglasses do NOT blow around like lightweight plastic grocery bags.
Quote:
Plastic containers like say for apple sauce do NOT BLOW AROUND and end up in oceans and local lakes as much as lightweight plastic bags.
Quote:
Because it is light enough to BLOW around and get into local lakes and mess up the birds, fish, eagles, and mammals.
Is that was is causing the "Plastic Island", floating around in the pacific? Grocery bags from Publix?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
sort of like banning guns because they kill people
Hush, you'll give people ideas...

Oh, wait... Too late!

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Then you have to stop the PERSON, not the gun.
So far, so good. Two obvious options, 1, "Stop fhe person"! keep people who are impressionable, irresponsible, prone to violence, want to intimidate or control others with threats and/or actual violence, superiority complexes (narcissistic complex), . Etc. Basically, psychoanalysis for everyone in the US before they are allowed to touch a gun. Your tax dollars at work trying to protect you and your family.
Or, 2, ban guns, with few reasonable exceptions. Yes, bad guys and girls may still get their hands on a gun. But with far fewer guns available, it would be more difficult to come by them. Basically few tax dollars. And, I recon, far more lives saved.
Make your choice. Lives hang in the balance.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
So far, so good. Two obvious options, 1, "Stop fhe person"! keep people who are impressionable, irresponsible, prone to violence, want to intimidate or control others with threats and/or actual violence, superiority complexes (narcissistic complex), . Etc. Basically, psychoanalysis for everyone in the US before they are allowed to touch a gun. Your tax dollars at work trying to protect you and your family.
Or, 2, ban guns, with few reasonable exceptions. Yes, bad guys and girls may still get their hands on a gun. But with far fewer guns available, it would be more difficult to come by them. Basically few tax dollars. And, I recon, far more lives saved.
Go get ‘em Doc!
Old 03-26-2024, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote:
I bring my own cloth bags. Maybe the sores in Florida should REWARD their customers that bring in their own cloth bags. Maybe something small as a reward like a 3% discount on purchases.
I don't remember which store it was, when I lived up north. Might've been Stop & Shop. But whoever it was, offered a 10-cent savings off your grocery bill per bag, if you brought in your own bags. There was a maximum savings per visit, so you couldn't put one item in each bag for 20 bags and expect a $2 discount.

But rather than charge 10 cents extra for their plastic bags, you did get that 10 cent discount for bringing yours in.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Why am I not surprised you missed yet another point. Those are ‘weapons’ as well if you followed anything but gun violence sir. Glad you would quote a Hollywood classic because, like a smaller segment of posters here, your ideas and suppositions are right out of central casting....except a lot of it ends on the cutting room floor

“Somewhere, there’s a place for us. A time and place for us” TOTV
No! I did not miss your point. You do realize that virtually anything and everything can be used to injure or kill. Guns, knives (I used to have some beautiful and illegal ones I used aboard ship because of the ability to use one handed - all gone now), bat's, sticks, rope or cord, chopsticks, forks spoons, water glass, Q-tips, pillows, hands, feet fingers, teeth,,,,everything. But guns are far and away the greatest weapon of choice in use for humans killing one another. And it is very telling that you chose to deflect the seriousness of gun violence by trying to shift the focus to other "potential" weapons not primarily produced for hurting or killing people, unlike guns that are produced for the one thing they do,,, kill!
Old 03-26-2024, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Good luck finding a physician who will take the responsibility to "allow" someone to purchase a gun... Will their malpractice cover them if the person turns out to be a mass shooter?

What about the political leanings of the person doing the "psychoanalysis"? I know more than a few "shrinks" who are rabid anti-gunners. They would love nothing more than to be able to prohibit people from buy a gun...

And since we're now putting a restriction on a "Constitutionally Protected Right", can we have an intelligence test before people vote? Hell, we can't even pass a "Voter ID" bill... It's considered to be racist...

So to recap... No way no how...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I don't remember which store it was, when I lived up north. Might've been Stop & Shop. But whoever it was, offered a 10-cent savings off your grocery bill per bag, if you brought in your own bags. There was a maximum savings per visit, so you couldn't put one item in each bag for 20 bags and expect a $2 discount.

But rather than charge 10 cents extra for their plastic bags, you did get that 10 cent discount for bringing yours in.
Most stores don't "charge" for plastic bags. They "collect a tax" levied by the State...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Is that was is causing the "Plastic Island", floating around in the pacific? Grocery bags from Publix?
I actually just watched a video of a giant trash barge having a mountain of trash pushed off into the ocean by a little bulldozer. The commentary said the barge was from SE Asia but didn't give the country of origin and I have no real knowledge of that so I won't post it. I found it by searching for origins of Pacific trash island.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
No! I did not miss your point. You do realize that virtually anything and everything can be used to injure or kill. Guns, knives (I used to have some beautiful and illegal ones I used aboard ship because of the ability to use one handed - all gone now), bat's, sticks, rope or cord, chopsticks, forks spoons, water glass, Q-tips, pillows, hands, feet fingers, teeth,,,,everything. But guns are far and away the greatest weapon of choice in use for humans killing one another. And it is very telling that you chose to deflect the seriousness of gun violence by trying to shift the focus to other "potential" weapons not primarily produced for hurting or killing people, unlike guns that are produced for the one thing they do,,, kill!
I’m actually tip toeing around getting banned on this forum for expanding on a topic that all of us have deep rooted opinions on. Not getting baited. Try Reddit!
Btw....some people just use them for range and target practice. Don’t use the broad brush analogy when you clearly don’t know and can’t speak for the masses...
Old 03-26-2024, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Go get ‘em Doc!
GE is a great guy whose opinions often differ from my own. But I respect him and hold him in high regard.
Don't worry, he will "get 'em" when he has the time to waste on little old me.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I am sure, having read hundreds of your well researched and thoughtful posts here, that you have some sort of evidence for THAT statement. I will be back to read the links to the studies.

Does your spellchecker work? I don't normally point out spelling errors, perhaps English is not your first language or you have a learning disability.... but when you make a scientific statement, I do use clues to suggest the amount of education that underlies that statement.
English is not his first language.

As far as cockroaches go - the ones around my house, live outside in the flower bed. I haven't seen one inside my house in over a year (thankfully), and the pest control guy has strict orders to NOT spray in the flower bed. I have organic herbs in there that I use in cooking, and flowers that are intended to attract pollinators. So pesticides in the garden is a huge no-no. And of course - that means there's a LOT of creepy crawlies that wander around it. It's a symbiotic relationship. I leave them alone, they leave me alone.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
I actually just watched a video of a giant trash barge having a mountain of trash pushed off into the ocean by a little bulldozer. The commentary said the barge was from SE Asia but didn't give the country of origin and I have no real knowledge of that so I won't post it. I found it by searching for origins of Pacific trash island.
Of course it's from Asia... My comment was "tongue in cheek"...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
plastic, bags, grocery, store, studies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.