Grocery Store plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2024, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
I am amazed that Florida still allows the use of plastic bags in grocery stores. So many other states have banned it. We now have microplastics (very small plastic particles) in our agriculture soil, ocean and just about anywhere you can think of. There are so many studies that verify the dangers of plastics and I cringe every time I go to the grocery store and see 10-20-30 plastic bags per cart. Just one Publics said they can go through thousands of plastic bags in a day. Here is one link that talks about how serious this problem has gotten. It's our new DDT.How microplastics are infiltrating the food you eat . There are now studies beiing done of earthworms ingesting micro-plastics. ScienceDirect
I'm amazed that "other states" ban them. And by "other states" I assume it's California (no surprise there). Thank God Florida has some rational lawmakers. The Graduate, 1967, "I want to say one word to you, Benjamin. Just one word.---Plastics"
Or more germane to that post, "Chicken Little, the sky is falling"
Old 03-25-2024, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
If they are a volunteer, why would they expect a tip? And why do you feel obligated to offer one? Very generous of you, but seems contrary to the spirit of volunteer work.
If you don't tip, you can't go on message boards and tell everyone how much you tip!
Actually, you could. Makes one wonder how much virtue signaling is made up.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
If you don't tip, you can't go on message boards and tell everyone how much you tip!
Actually, you could. Makes one wonder how much virtue signaling is made up.
Like the OP?????
Old 03-25-2024, 12:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
I am amazed that Florida still allows the use of plastic bags in grocery stores. ... every time I go to the grocery store and see 10-20-30 plastic bags per cart. ]
1. People can bring their own bags to the store.
2. They can also stop nosing around with what other people are doing.

Virtue signaling & living a happier life.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

But how can we pick up dog and cat poop without plastic bags!!
Old 03-25-2024, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Good point.

Also without plastic bags, how would we carry all the food that is packaged in plastic?
The plastic bag weighs about 6 grams, but can hold 1000x its own weight. You can eliminate a few grams of plastic by bringing a reusable bag, but I don't think anyone wants to be buying their groceries in a reused (not recycled, reused) package
Old 03-25-2024, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You should be using the bags that the Daily Sun comes in every day for the dogs. That's good for at least 1 poop every day!

I do re-use those plastic grocery bags to clean the little box for my cat. And I use an unscented clay-based litter, which makes the litter itself biodegradable and non-toxic to the environment (the cat's waste is - toxic. But the litter is not).

If I didn't have a cat, I'd always use re-usable bags I bring from home (I have several and do use the thermal one often).

Also, Publix has bins where you can toss your unwanted plastic bags, and they recycle them. Their green plastic hand-baskets are made out of recycled plastic too.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You should be using the bags that the Daily Sun comes in every day for the dogs. That's good for at least 1 poop every day!

I do re-use those plastic grocery bags to clean the little box for my cat. And I use an unscented clay-based litter, which makes the litter itself biodegradable and non-toxic to the environment (the cat's waste is - toxic. But the litter is not).

If I didn't have a cat, I'd always use re-usable bags I bring from home (I have several and do use the thermal one often).

Also, Publix has bins where you can toss your unwanted plastic bags, and they recycle them. Their green plastic hand-baskets are made out of recycled plastic too.
Your cat's waste is toxic???? I suppose it is if he has Toxoplasma gondii. Otherwise, I doubt it amounts to much compared to many thousands of lions and tigers and bears (oh my, oh my)
Old 03-25-2024, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

OP you are talking about the “dark ages”. I prefer plastic bags, especially if they are burnt in the garbage and reduce our energy bill. True recycling. Not only are plastic bags hygienic and convenient but I use them for all kinds of things at home that I can’t use paper bags for. I think we’ve got it right, here. The Villages is again ahead of everybody.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

What’s the point of getting rid of plastic bags when so many of the products we put in those bags are in plastic containers? If it makes you feel better putting all those plastic containers in a paper bag go for it.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-25-2024, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

We have towns in MA that don’t allow plastic bags. So they put my laundry detergent (plastic jug), produce (plastic bags), vegetable oil (plastic container) and everything else packaged in plastic into a weak paper bag that’s hard to carry and tears open.

Not to mention, our eyeglasses are plastic, our shoes, our clothes, desks, cars have tons of plastic, computers are plastic, k-cups are plastic, aluminum cans are lined with plastic, windows, siding, picture frames, plugs. It's in everything.

I think plastic is a big problem. I just don’t see supermarket bags doing much at all.

Last edited by frayedends; 03-25-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It’s not just plastic bags it’s all plastics. We have abandoned recycling in The Villages opting to burn plastics trash to energy.
But.......isn't burning trash to energy still recycling? The trash is recycled into energy. Isn't that STILL recycling the trash?
Old 03-25-2024, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
But.......isn't burning trash to energy still recycling? The trash is recycled into energy. Isn't that STILL recycling the trash?
Not everybody studied science…
Old 03-25-2024, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
All Villages trash is transported to the Covanta Lake II, Inc. Energy from Waste (EfW) facility in Okahumpka, Florida where it is burned and turned into energy. This plant produces enough electricity to power more than one million homes annually, while reducing the amount of methane, a greenhouse gas that would otherwise be produced by the trash going to landfills and that is more than 28 times as potent as carbon dioxide at trapping heat in the atmosphere, to zero. The site diverts 21 million tons of waste annually from landfills, while at the same time recycling 1.1 million tons of material, of which 550,000 tons are metals, annually. It does this in an essentially clean manner: Over 99.9 percent of what is discharged into the air is what is typically find in air - water vapor, nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining constituents are well below federal and state standards. (from the Covanta website).

Looks as if our plastics are being put to very good use.
You took the words right out of my mouth. That is clean recycling. I still don't understand why people make comments that The Villages does not recycle anymore.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'm amazed that "other states" ban them. And by "other states" I assume it's California (no surprise there). Thank God Florida has some rational lawmakers. The Graduate, 1967, "I want to say one word to you, Benjamin. Just one word.---Plastics"
Or more germane to that post, "Chicken Little, the sky is falling"
I think of that line from "The Graduate" every single time anyone brings up the subject of how damaging plastics are to our universe. It makes me chuckle.

Tags
plastic, bags, grocery, store, studies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.