Grocery Store plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2024, 04:47 PM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are there more microplastics in the food chain or have we gotten better at detecting them and picked this as the next focus for our hysteria?
In either case, isn't this still a reason for concern?
Old 03-27-2024, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
If we are just better at detecting and the microplastics have been there for decades then are they really a growing problem?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-27-2024, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
You know a ballot initiative/referendum on a plastic bag ban....in FL, would be defeated soundly. You know that.

On the flip side, in MD and MA, it would pass comfortably.
Yes, that is likely true. I form my opinions and utmost confidence that I am right.........at least 90% of the time.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
We reuse our plastic bags from the store to double bag food, bones, etc. Biodegradable plastic grocery bags have been available for a while. Sometimes, there's a small charge for them. I'm surprised they're not available around here..
I am NOT very surprised. YOU are living in a somewhat backward leaning area. You can prove that by the preponderance of gasoline golf carts vs E-golf carts. And the LOUD, howling gasoline vs Electric lawnmowers here.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
That is a BIG, FAT YES !
Old 03-27-2024, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Too late, you now have a "target" on your back...

The Villages Florida
Are those MD deer...a couple of chunkasaurus'!
Old 03-27-2024, 05:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To get back on topic, my only point about this thread is that Florida doesn't need a state law banning plastic grocery bags.
Whoo hoo! Your are 100% correct. Florida does not need a state law banning certain grocery bags. Anyone concerned can bring their own bags. I see many people doing just that & frequently do so myself. Though admittedly more in my case for the thermal properties of my bags to keep my shopping fresh & cool.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I am NOT very surprised. YOU are living in a somewhat backward leaning area. You can prove that by the preponderance of gasoline golf carts vs E-golf carts. And the LOUD, howling gasoline vs Electric lawnmowers here.
Interesting comment. You have previously indicated you do not drive an EV.

Are you driving an E cart?

Or is this another case of do as I say not as I do. Asking for a friend.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:44 PM
Default China and India FIRST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
I am amazed that Florida still allows the use of plastic bags in grocery stores. So many other states have banned it. We now have microplastics (very small plastic particles) in our agriculture soil, ocean and just about anywhere you can think of. There are so many studies that verify the dangers of plastics and I cringe every time I go to the grocery store and see 10-20-30 plastic bags per cart. Just one Publics said they can go through thousands of plastic bags in a day. Here is one link that talks about how serious this problem has gotten. It's our new DDT.How microplastics are infiltrating the food you eat . There are now studies beiing done of earthworms ingesting micro-plastics. ScienceDirect

India and China put more plastic (bags,straws,etc.) into the Ocean than all other nations COMBINED. When you get them to STOP, I will worry about by grocery transport methods.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:49 PM
Platinum member

One of the biggest sources of microplastics is the washing of synthetic fabrics. Plastic bags are chump change.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
If we are just better at detecting and the microplastics have been there for decades then are they really a growing problem?
Well they could very well be a growing problem. One thing that is happening is that the rate of cancer in younger people is rising dramatically. The global incidence of early-onset cancer increased by 79.1% and early-onset cancer deaths rose by 27.7% from 1990 to 2019, a 2023 study in the journal BMJ Oncology found. Plastics in our food? Exposure to pesticides in our environment and our food? Ultraprocessed foods? Sugary drinks? Lack of physical activity? Researchers don't know at this point. If I was in that age group, I wouldn't be burying my head in the sand, I would try to eat safely, with common sense, trying to avoid where possible, things that could certainly be carcinogenic. Plastics and pesticides certainly come to mind. Researchers have found that microplastics damage human cells, decrease reproductive health and disrupt the endocrine system. A couple of obvious things to avoid - bottled water; microwaving food in plastic containers; use organic foods whenever available.

Last edited by mickey100; 03-28-2024 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcammel View Post
Gotta chuckle they want to control plastic bags that carry home your plastic butter tubs, ketchup bottles, spaghetti sauce, mustard, milk bottles, pill bottles, bacon wrappers, self-service meat items, and hundreds of other products in plastic containers. Sounds like another opportunity for a Biden tax based on usage!
Political posts are not allowed.

Maybe older gen buy plastic tubs of generic junk, Then again eating processed food plastic is the least of problems. Well not at most ages here way too late to bother changing habits. At this late in the game nothing is going to improve lifeline.

Our family
Butter in wax paper, sauce, mustard, milk in glass,
All meat is wrapped in butcher paper, from the farm
Laundry soap comes in sheets or bar in box

Plastic in our house is less than 17%. It not about change our whole life we raised, can, or froze food. Mt guess is 80% of residents in TV have eaten processed food their whole life, so plastic is just a norm for many
Old 03-28-2024, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
we have bigger plastic problem that just plastic bags.
Agree! But you have to start somewhere. If plastic bags is the first step, the impact on society will be no big deal. Can't get much simpler change to adapt to. One small change for a man or woman. One large benefit for mankind!
Old 03-28-2024, 06:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
You know a ballot initiative/referendum on a plastic bag ban....in FL, would be defeated soundly. You know that.

On the flip side, in MD and MA, it would pass comfortably.
Actually, no one knows it until it has been tried. You might be surprised. Or not. But until it is actually tried, it is still unknown.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
From our resident Climate Change Chicken Little...
Tsk, tsk. Name calling makes one appear, well, you know.
Closed Thread

Tags
plastic, bags, grocery, store, studies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.