Grocery Store plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2024, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are there more microplastics in the food chain or have we gotten better at detecting them and picked this as the next focus for our hysteria?
Most likely a bit of both.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
What’s the point of getting rid of plastic bags when so many of the products we put in those bags are in plastic containers? If it makes you feel better putting all those plastic containers in a paper bag go for it.
I never requested paper bags for groceries. The folds in the bags are where insects lay their eggs. Or so I have thought for many years of hearing that. I never want any paper bags in our home.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
But.......isn't burning trash to energy still recycling? The trash is recycled into energy. Isn't that STILL recycling the trash?
That is not the common definition of recycling. The common definition is recovering the material from an item so that it can be used again as that same material - re-cycling. Aluminum from cans can be reused as aluminum; glass from bottles can be reused as glass; plastics can be reused as plastics.

Our trash isn't recycled into energy, it is destroyed (burned) to extract energy. Except for some metals, the original material no longer exists to be reused.

I suppose if you insist on calling trash-to-energy a form of recycling then every engine that burns a petroleum product is also a recycling system that recycles oil into energy.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-25-2024, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
That is not the common definition of recycling. The common definition is recovering the material from an item so that it can be used again as that same material - re-cycling. Aluminum from cans can be reused as aluminum; glass from bottles can be reused as glass; plastics can be reused as plastics.

Our trash isn't recycled into energy, it is destroyed (burned) to extract energy. Except for some metals, the original material no longer exists to be reused.

I suppose if you insist on calling trash-to-energy a form of recycling then every engine that burns a petroleum product is also a recycling system that recycles oil into energy.
Yes, I think so. And it is particularly nice to have clean process as well. Energy has far more potential use than plastic. I guess “recycling” is a limited term indicating reuse. But the term has had a sort of an unwarranted halo attached to it. I do understand concern when plastics are not burnt but thrown into landfills and oceans. People can do better, and in our case, we do.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
On the other hand, recycling plastics has always been iffy or problematic.

New report unveils what plastic makers knew about recycling : NPR

Generally, municpalities, ship the plastics collected in recycling bins (eventually) to third world countries, many of whom dump them in the oceans.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/wp-co...rToxic_ENG.pdf
Old 03-25-2024, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, I think so. And it is particularly nice to have clean process as well. Energy has far more potential use than plastic. I guess “recycling” is a limited term indicating reuse. But the term has had a sort of an unwarranted halo attached to it. I do understand concern when plastics are not burnt but thrown into landfills and oceans. People can do better, and in our case, we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post

Generally, municpalities, ship the plastics collected in recycling bins (eventually) to third world countries, many of whom dump them in the oceans.

Both these may be true; I didn't claim that recycling was better than burning. I only responded that "trash-to-energy" is not the common definition of the word "recycle."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-25-2024, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:

Burning leaves various kinds of altered materials behind. Like wood fire in a fireplace leaves ashes and smoke and various gases, burnt trash leaves stuff, too. What kinds of stuff depends on what the trash consists of. So, the questions I have are, what does the waste from burning consist of (metals, glass, plastic gunk, ash)? Is any of the waste toxic or harmful to the environment in any way.? How is the residue or waste from burning disposed of. What happens to it?
Burning oil, coal, natural gas, to create energy produces some pretty nasty by products. What about trash? Just how clean ( or unclean) is it?
Old 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Both these may be true; I didn't claim that recycling was better than burning. I only responded that "trash-to-energy" is not the common definition of the word "recycle."
& I was responding to "plastics can be reused at plastics'.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
But how can we pick up dog and cat poop without plastic bags!!
you took the words right out of my mouth!!
Old 03-25-2024, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
But.......isn't burning trash to energy still recycling? The trash is recycled into energy. Isn't that STILL recycling the trash?
why, YES, it is!!!
Old 03-25-2024, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post

and i remember a few years back reading how the 3rd worlders aren't taking it anymore, that they felt we were sending them our trash
Old 03-25-2024, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Your cat's waste is toxic???? I suppose it is if he has Toxoplasma gondii. Otherwise, I doubt it amounts to much compared to many thousands of lions and tigers and bears (oh my, oh my)
Stop bringing logic into this! This thread is about virtue signaling, not common sense!
Old 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM

Half the produce is in plastic.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
you took the words right out of my mouth!!
Hopefully just words
Old 03-25-2024, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It’s not just plastic bags it’s all plastics. We have abandoned recycling in The Villages opting to burn plastics trash to energy.
Don’t plastic burn?
Closed Thread

Tags
plastic, bags, grocery, store, studies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.