Ground tremors, sonic booms or what??

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2023, 06:52 AM

Odd. We have lived in Marsh Bend for several years and have not experienced anything like what you describe.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
I live down in Marsh Bend. Periodically the whole house will just shake. The windows and doors especially hard. It's happened more than once and I'd say once a month or so. I used to be in the military and know exactly what a sonic boom sounds and feels like. I'd say this is about close to that. I've been in thunderstorms where he distant thunder clap will shake the windows. That is another good example of what it feels like. Each time it has happened there has been no thunderstorms in the area.
I used to work for the FAA and know the air space around here. They do not have supersonic aircraft flying in any proximity of the villages. I mentioned it to my aunt who lives about 3 miles away and she has also experienced this as have some of my friends. None of us can figure out what it could possibly be. I live a good distance from I 75 and the turnpike. I have also checked the old posts in the forum and others have experienced this but nobody can seem to offer a good answer. Thoughts?
I’ve seen comments about the quarry blasts from villagers in Fenney, DeSoto, and others down that far, but never in Marsh Bend. It must’ve been a really big blast this time. I’m in DeLuna near the pool, was home all day yesterday, and never heard or felt a thing.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:41 AM

Same here. We've been in Marsh Bend for 2 1/2 years and never noticed anything.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I was out there for about 3 years . The first time it went off I went outside and all the neighbors were outside also , I called community watch , They Knew Nothing lol. They have a license for x amount of times a month but I actually don’t know how many times they set it off . I’m always gone from the house so it never was a big bother , once in awhile it was a big one but sometimes just a ripple . I know one thing there not going anywhere , the stuff is to valuable .
Old 05-18-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Yes we all remember you live in the world of Oz, with waterfalls, prettier flowers, zero traffic, and no Abnb’s.
I thought that was Lake Wobegone “where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above 55 years of age”.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:23 AM
Default Sonic Booms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
I live down in Marsh Bend. Periodically the whole house will just shake. The windows and doors especially hard. It's happened more than once and I'd say once a month or so. I used to be in the military and know exactly what a sonic boom sounds and feels like. I'd say this is about close to that. I've been in thunderstorms where he distant thunder clap will shake the windows. That is another good example of what it feels like. Each time it has happened there has been no thunderstorms in the area.
I used to work for the FAA and know the air space around here. They do not have supersonic aircraft flying in any proximity of the villages. I mentioned it to my aunt who lives about 3 miles away and she has also experienced this as have some of my friends. None of us can figure out what it could possibly be. I live a good distance from I 75 and the turnpike. I have also checked the old posts in the forum and others have experienced this but nobody can seem to offer a good answer. Thoughts?
I moved to this area in the late 70's and actually delivered afternoon newspapers back then in Sumter County (Leesburg to Lake Panasoffkee). Very often there were sonic booms and the aircraft flew low enough to catch a glimpse. The sound was unmistakably loud and I'm sure rattled the homes below. They seemed to fly over cow fields mostly in the Sumterville and surrounding areas. It might not be an "official fly-over area", but it may be that they are required to fly higher and sometimes drop too low and are "discovered". Just a guess. But it definitely used to be a major path.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
How close are you to the quarry?
Assume you mean the Dixie Lime & Stone Co. 8.6 miles. I suppose it could be that.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:27 AM
Gold member

We're in Marsh Bend three years and haven't had this happen.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We don't have to deal with any of that quarry stuff in the LSL area.
Yes....and I don't have to deal with aging roofs, outdated appliances and "last generation" homes. That BOOM you just heard didn't come from the Quarry either!!!!
Old 05-18-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkerr View Post
It’s the blasting at the quarry. We had a big one yesterday.
Thank you!!! Yes, yesterday afternoon.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:48 AM

This limestone quarry is considered a mining operation and is regulated by (MSHA) mine safety and health administration under the US department of labor. They have an approved blasting plan and seismic monitoring devices ( to protect against damage suits). If you feel the blast was abnormally large or could cause damage to your home, you can request an inspector visit and review from the agency. At least they would know that someone is paying attention.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
When I moved to my farm in SC, I remember what felt like a sonic boom. My 4,000 square foot log house shook...... dishes rattled... pictures bounced on the walls. I called my new neighbor and asked what that was.... she said, "Revenuers blowing up Arledge's still again." So, my guess is the quarry, or revenuers blowing up a still.
Uh oh better hide the stills again
Old 05-18-2023, 09:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Check here next time it happens. Search for local airspace . Also ask quarry when next blast event is

ADS-B Exchange - track aircraft live
Old 05-18-2023, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

We are working on our 5th year here in McClure Village and only once have we noticed a minor shock from the blasting.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
The quarry appears to be the correct choice. Perhaps they may post a warning due to safety laws concerning the workers and surrounding population.
I’d say that the workers do know about the blasts; the residents probably never will.

Tags
experienced, feels, good, thunderstorms, happened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.