Grow Lights on Meggison

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2023, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts
Default Grow Lights on Meggison

Anyone know why there are grow lights on the curvy section about 1/2 mile before the intersection with Warm Springs?

My eyes had a hard time adjusting to them in the rain
Old 09-30-2023, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

LED lights sometimes have an unusual failure mode where they change color, try calling SECO to have them check out the lights.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

The lights use ultraviolet LED's to activate a phosphor that results in white light.

This phosphor is degrading so you are seeing the UV light.

Why are streetlights on the highway purple?

The Florida Department of Transportation has replaced 800 of the defective streetlights on central Florida highways, with 200 still needing replacement. The timeline for completion is uncertain, though it was originally predicted to be finished last April.

The issue is caused by a spectral shift in the bulb or filter of the "autobahn" model light heads, supplied by American Electric Lighting under Acuity Brands, that is experiencing a color change caused by phosphorous in the device.

Acuity Brands stated that the light output is in no way harmful or unsafe and that they have proactively worked with customers affected by the issue to resolve concerns. FDOT is not the only agency replacing the defective streetlights; power companies, including Duke Energy, are also replacing the lights.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Altavia, thank for the background information, I did not remember the exact failure mode and did not want to misstate the information. I still think SECO would be appropriate, but the local government would also be good to contact.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

The grow lights are a test to see if the flowers can be changed three times rather than four.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,520 Times in 713 Posts

The county is aware of the problem and addressing it.
This is a problem with the power supplies for the lights. The manufacturer is aware of the problem and is working with the county to have them replaced, the power supplies are however in short supply. The county is replacing them as quickly as the new power supplies become available.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 10-01-2023, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The county is aware of the problem and addressing it.
This is a problem with the power supplies for the lights. The manufacturer is aware of the problem and is working with the county to have them replaced, the power supplies are however in short supply. The county is replacing them as quickly as the new power supplies become available.
Streetlights Are Mysteriously Turning Purple. Here's Why - Scientific American

And yet some streetlights have suddenly turned a jarring shade of purple. It is hard to determine the exact cause without dissecting one of the defective lights, but scientists have a hypothesis: bright purple light suggests the phosphor layer around the lights has been “delaminated”—peeled off—exposing the blue LED light underneath, Brgoch says. Although blue LED lights are, in principle, deep blue in color, they do naturally have a bit of a purple and violet tint, he explains.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:24 PM

Was just talking about those purple street lights last night. The first group I saw were on warm springs last year in between the roundabout and the intersection near meggison. They looked pretty cool to me. They don't bother my night vision at all. Reminded me of aliens coming to pick me up. "Oh geez they're ba-aack!" Those 3 were replaced with white earlier this year. There's now another purple light more down into meggison. Heard the purple are simply a bad batch and will eventually get replaced.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
Was just talking about those purple street lights last night. The first group I saw were on warm springs last year in between the roundabout and the intersection near meggison. They looked pretty cool to me. They don't bother my night vision at all. Reminded me of aliens coming to pick me up. "Oh geez they're ba-aack!" Those 3 were replaced with white earlier this year. There's now another purple light more down into meggison. Heard the purple are simply a bad batch and will eventually get replaced.
See post. #6……or is that where you heard?
Old 10-02-2023, 09:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Anyone know why there are grow lights on the curvy section about 1/2 mile before the intersection with Warm Springs?

My eyes had a hard time adjusting to them in the rain
It’s not just an issue in TV we were in Baltimore MD there were 6 highway lights observed with that purple color on 95 south
Old 10-03-2023, 03:09 AM
Veteran member

I wish all the street lights were purple.
Closed Thread

Tags
grow, lights, warm, adjusting, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.