The Gypsies are back in the Villages !

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

I read this thread yesterday and a quiet alarm went off(just one of those keep your eyes open alarms). Last night we drove down to Sumter Landing and sat in our cart for a bit. Along came a young lady carrying a cute lttle puppy. A lady sitting on a bench with her husband stopped the lady to see the puppy. Immediately, the lady pulled her cell phone out for a quick diddling. 30 seconds later, a man, presumably her husband, walked up with a cute younger girl, maybe 14. Both were also carrying cute little puppies. They worked on the couple for maybe 10 minutes before the man on the bench adamantly was gesturing "No". I would not have thought twice about the incident, but it seemed to fit the perfect profile. Puppies, family, cute kid..... Just gave us pause.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Really. big difference between ethnic groups and thieves.
I agree.

We always say it doesn't matter what color or ethnic group they are if they are committing illegal deeds.......the gypsies do have a reputation of being thieves and home invaders. And, who knows.....from what I've recently read, even kidnappers of innocent children. I would be aware.....if they are in the vicinity.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Gold member

this whole thread has a racist aroma to it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
Quote:
most of these people are not gypsy's or criminals, they are just poor rednecks looking for a handout. call me a sucker or whatever but I occasionally give small amounts of money to them and I feel good after I do it.
Quote:
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
People need to be aware if there are swindlers and panhandlers preying on unknowing people.

Some would say your post has an "enabler of crime" aroma to it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
People need to be aware if there are swindlers and panhandlers preying on unknowing people.

Some would say your post has an "enabler of crime" aroma to it.
youre a 'sage' on here. you know better than to make personal comments.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Sage
Quote:
most of these people are not gypsy's or criminals,
they are just poor rednecks looking for a handout. call me a sucker or whatever but I occasionally give small amounts of money to them and I feel good after I do it.

How come these 'poor rednecks' only come out at certain times of the year? Are they gainfully employed the rest of the time?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
How come these 'poor rednecks' only come out at certain times of the year? Are they gainfully employed the rest of the time?
Truly you jest..These people are leaches and should be run out of town..
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houselover View Post
Truly you jest..These people are leaches and should be run out of town..

What are "leaches"?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Sage
Default Each state has a police warning against gypsies

Florida Police Warn of

Just out of curiosity, I typed into my search engine:
POLICE WARN OF GYPSY SCAMS

I ended up with a very long list of various states' law enforcement warning people to be aware of gypsies.

Above hyperlink is from a consumer information site......re Florida police warning back in February 2013.

It's not racist. It just happens to be the gypsy way of life.....

As another poster stated, they usually misrepresent themselves as a roofer, tree trimmer, driveway paver or some such home improvement contractor. Stick with your local and well known guys.

I read myself, elsewhere, that when one rings the doorbell, others are hidden in the "work van".......the "head gypsy" lures the homeowner out to show them the tree damage, etc...or gets the homeowner out to the backyard while others then leave the van and enter the home through the open front door.

Believe me, it's been done up here..........maybe not by gypsies, but when we think back.......those tree trimmers do go door to door.

They do ask you to come outside so that they can show you a tree with damage........and many of us , unsuspectingly, as we had no reason to fear anything, would go out and look.............finally we realized these kind of tree "surgeons" were all schmoes........and stopped using them.

No respectable businessperson needs to go door to door ringing doorbells.

Live and learn. But do not be scammed by the gypsies.

It's their livelihood. They are very clever at what they do and how they do it.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Coming from an area where panhandling has increased tenfold since mental hospitals were closed and me being the type that will talk to almost anyone, here's my take. As the weather gets colder in northern climates, these people (not travelers nor gypsies but homeless people, many of whom who are mentally ill) come south and west if they possibly can. So, panhandling will increase in warmer climates during winter months.

Also, lawn people are now beginning to lay people off since grass is beginning to go dormant and weeds aren't popping up as much. This means these folks are also out of work, unable to collect unemployment (majority paid under the table). There really aren't that many options for them but panhandling.

Travelers (whether of Romany descent or otherwise) also come south during the winter. They are less apt to panhandle but more apt to scam people. Strangely, some of them are actually honest and will do an honest day's labor for an honest day's wage. As has always been said, don't pay someone until a job is done. Don't purchase something unless from someone reputable. Keep your eyes open but please don't pre-judge because someone's lifestyle is not yours.

Personally, I have no problems with handing a dollar to someone begging. It is hard, it is humiliating and there but for the grace of God, go I. If they choose to use that dollar to buy cigarettes or alcohol, that's their concern, not mine. My concern is treating every human as if they have value. So, I will continue to give my dollar with no regret. You are free to not give your dollar with no regret -- we each have to make our own choices.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 10-21-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Bare. ANYTHING you say, goes directly to my heart.

You well may be right and I may be something bad. But it seems to me that we aren't allowed to come to a conclusion about a group of people without that label being attached to us. Racist is ugly. So is being stupid.

There is ALWAYS exceptions. But when the high season approaches our population swells. It is like tourist places everywhere.

There is a huge criminal presence in the world, just usually NOT in The Villages. I am sure everyone wants to keep it that way. I have NEVER seen a beggar here. I have never seen anyone looking out of place in a kind of suspicious way. But if I do....I know from my own past experience that there are gypsies and that is what they do. Maybe they are born and raised in Atlanta or Duluth and they are blonde and blue eyed, and they don't speak Romani, but just watch out for unusual stuff.

It is very hard sometimes to balance a caring Christian attitude and being just a little skeptical and keeping a common sense approach.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Sage

American Gypsy: Full Description

In all fairness to the honest Romani family , as mentioned in this documentary, who fought the system to uphold their family honor, we can see both sides of the story............

American Gypsy: Full Description

This is a true story of what happened to the Marks family in Spokane Washington.

For those who do not like to read lengthy "stuff".....just speed read through it, but do read the beginning paragraphs especially.........and keep scrolling down.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Unhappy

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by elizabeth52; 10-21-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM

This warning is spot on. This happened to an elderly couple I know. A gypsy woman knocked on the door of their home which was located on a dead end street. She was crying hysterically saying that she lost her dog and asked if would the wife(who answered the door) would help her find it. Of course the wife begun to help her search. As they exited the yard the wife saw two men enter the side entrance of her home. She yelled to her husband and the two men quickly ran out of the house with the woman who lost her dog running behind. The police were called,but luckily, nothing was taken and no one was hurt. The officers told them that these gypsies had hit several neighborhoods and that this happened every summer.

I would take this very seriously as they prey on seniors.

QUOTE=senior citizen;766349]Florida Police Warn of

Just out of curiosity, I typed into my search engine:
POLICE WARN OF GYPSY SCAMS

I ended up with a very long list of various states' law enforcement warning people to be aware of gypsies.

Above hyperlink is from a consumer information site......re Florida police warning back in February 2013.

It's not racist. It just happens to be the gypsy way of life.....

As another poster stated, they usually misrepresent themselves as a roofer, tree trimmer, driveway paver or some such home improvement contractor. Stick with your local and well known guys.

I read myself, elsewhere, that when one rings the doorbell, others are hidden in the "work van".......the "head gypsy" lures the homeowner out to show them the tree damage, etc...or gets the homeowner out to the backyard while others then leave the van and enter the home through the open front door.

Believe me, it's been done up here..........maybe not by gypsies, but when we think back.......those tree trimmers do go door to door.

They do ask you to come outside so that they can show you a tree with damage........and many of us , unsuspectingly, as we had no reason to fear anything, would go out and look.............finally we realized these kind of tree "surgeons" were all schmoes........and stopped using them.

No respectable businessperson needs to go door to door ringing doorbells.

Live and learn. But do not be scammed by the gypsies.

It's their livelihood. They are very clever at what they do and how they do it.[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.