The Gypsies are back in the Villages !

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Last night the square in Lake Sumter - there was a woman and a man 'showing' adorable puppies around. Did not listen to the speal - so not sure if they were selling them then and there. There was at least 2 other people with them in the background. Plus the puppies did not look 8 weeks old.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
This is disturbing

hope this is not the norm in TV I will be looking for a home next week so hope this is not a major problem
Certainly can't have the real world intruding into adult Disneyland! Oh no no!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Sage

Although I am guilty of liking to leave my garage door open much of the day it would seem best for all of us to keep it closed especially during this time of the year.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAllen1290 View Post
Certainly can't have the real world intruding into adult Disneyland! Oh no no!
I prefer to control as much as possible in my life if I can avoid an area that is crime ridden. i would I have no problem with hard working people who are on hard times but crooks should be dealt with by the law
Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Google " Gypsy's in Central Florida. I did and read some frightening statistics.. I hope most people are savvy enough to not fall for their scams but I worry..
Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I prefer to control as much as possible in my life if I can avoid an area that is crime ridden. i would I have no problem with hard working people who are on hard times but crooks should be dealt with by the law
Come on down. By the time you get here this little episode will be over. Rest assured that crooks are dealt with by the law here in Sumter, Lake & Marion county. Don't take the "sky is falling" crowd on TOTV all that serious....!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
This is disturbing

hope this is not the norm in TV I will be looking for a home next week so hope this is not a major problem
This is nothing but worry warts. Your decision needs to be based on more important pertinent things. What's your thoughts on dog poop?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Send a message via AIM to ariel

Irish rovers/travelers...large community in North Augusta, SC. Have dealt with them in public health and retail. They are real and just beware of anyone who might want to do a "job" for you or sell you something at a "bargain" price. True, don't ever pay for something until it is done, but also there can be damage that is very difficult to remedy, e.g. driveway coatings, paint. Not racist, just realist. They've been profiled on 20/20, 60 minutes and the national news.

Last edited by ariel; 10-21-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM

We were approached coming out of St. Tim's after 11:00 mass in the parking lot. It was a man holding a sign saying he was out of "werk". Had some kids with him. Wish I'd read this thread before, to know what was really going on. Next time we will call the sheriff!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:32 PM

I hope I can take the Halloween costume back.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Gold member

There is a lot of difference between 'organized crime' and panhandling by the needy.
In reality, they're different!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksjd View Post
We were approached coming out of St. Tim's after 11:00 mass in the parking lot. It was a man holding a sign saying he was out of "werk". Had some kids with him. Wish I'd read this thread before, to know what was really going on. Next time we will call the sheriff!
These people are seldom panhandlers; much more likely to try to sell you something or perform a service for you at a cut rate. I'm new to this area, but hopefully there are organizations that people who are hungry or homeless can be directed to? I came here from a very small town in NC. We had/have a wonderful organization that provides meals, lodging and other assistance to people who are in the midst of unfortunate situations. In recent years, there have been so many in need; and many families with young children. I hope we don't confuse the truly needy with those who would intentionally victimize us.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Coming from an area where panhandling has increased tenfold since mental hospitals were closed and me being the type that will talk to almost anyone, here's my take. As the weather gets colder in northern climates, these people (not travelers nor gypsies but homeless people, many of whom who are mentally ill) come south and west if they possibly can. So, panhandling will increase in warmer climates during winter months.

Also, lawn people are now beginning to lay people off since grass is beginning to go dormant and weeds aren't popping up as much. This means these folks are also out of work, unable to collect unemployment (majority paid under the table). There really aren't that many options for them but panhandling.

Travelers (whether of Romany descent or otherwise) also come south during the winter. They are less apt to panhandle but more apt to scam people. Strangely, some of them are actually honest and will do an honest day's labor for an honest day's wage. As has always been said, don't pay someone until a job is done. Don't purchase something unless from someone reputable. Keep your eyes open but please don't pre-judge because someone's lifestyle is not yours.

Personally, I have no problems with handing a dollar to someone begging. It is hard, it is humiliating and there but for the grace of God, go I. If they choose to use that dollar to buy cigarettes or alcohol, that's their concern, not mine. My concern is treating every human as if they have value. So, I will continue to give my dollar with no regret. You are free to not give your dollar with no regret -- we each have to make our own choices.
Redwitch, you've made some valid points in your post.

I don't doubt for a second that we should all be cautious when dealing with "fast-talking" strangers. However it's a personal choice if we choose to give money to those we perceive to be underprivileged. As CaptJohn pointed out: "There is a lot of difference between 'organized crime' and panhandling by the needy."
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=elizabeth52;766411]This warning is spot on. This happened to an elderly couple I know. A gypsy woman knocked on the door of their home which was located on a dead end street. She was crying hysterically saying that she lost her dog and asked if would the wife(who answered the door) would help her find it. Of course the wife begun to help her search. As they exited the yard the wife saw two men enter the side entrance of her home. She yelled to her husband and the two men quickly ran out of the house with the woman who lost her dog running behind. The police were called,but luckily, nothing was taken and no one was hurt. The officers told them that these gypsies had hit several neighborhoods and that this happened every summer.

I would take this very seriously as they prey on seniors.

Yahoo Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Amid suspicions, Europe's Roma and their struggle.......

By now, everyone's seen the evening news which showcased this little blonde girl, kidnapped by the gypsies.......not to mention 10 or more other children by this couple alone. All born within "six months" of each other according to television news, but according to this article they were registered within "twelve months"..
Impossible. So, all "adopted".....as cute little blondes get more money from tourists........who feel sorry for them.

How sad for these kidnapped children.

This happened in GREECE.....but still, there are some gypsies who would not just prey on seniors, but on small innocent children as well.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Sage

Has anyone seen actual Gypsies in The Villages - within the borders of The Villages? I saw the post of a man with an out of work sign and someone presumably selling a puppy - but were they real Gypsies or just a panhandler and some puppy mill operator?

Sure, be wary of workers who ring your doorbell and you should just say NO and close and lock the door. Call Community Watch. Call the Sheriff if you feel scared.

But are they Gypsies? Exercise normal caution but The Villages is a very safe place and it is not necessary to instill fear of all strangers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.