Hadley House Fire - video

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Is it really necessary to put the golf cart in garage?
Don't think leaving it out is such a good idea, Jimbo....rain, bright sun during the day, dust, dirt....and even the remote possibility of it being removed from your property by an "unauthorized" individual. The things are too big to get through the lanai screen door...and leaving it on the grass isn't going to do the grass any good. Not sure where they can be kept other than the garage.

Last edited by pooh; 08-20-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Is it really necessary to put the golf cart in garage?

Respectfully, I guess I miss your point as the same thing could happen with your car battery if you do not apply proper maint to it.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Don't think leaving it out is such a good idea, Jimbo....rain, bright sun during the day, dust, dirt....and even the remote possibility of it being removed from your dproperty by an "unauthorized" individual. The things are too big to get through the lanai screen door...and leaving it on the grass isn't going to do the grass any good. Not sure where they can be kept other than the garage.
Absolutely.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Default Hadley house fire

What was the final determined cause of the fire? Was it a gas golf cart or electric? Was a battery charger hooked up? Just curious, hopefully everyone can learn from so as not to repeat.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Sage
Default Horrible site

That video sent chills down my spine. So glad no one was hurt. I feel terrible for the family. Sure hope they get things back in order in record time. My thoughts are with you.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Respectfully, I guess I miss your point as the same thing could happen with your car battery if you do not apply proper maint to it.
No I didn't miss the point at all, you leave your car out why not your golf cart.
Don't see why it needs the protection.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Has there been an official cause determined. One from a fire official not from the forum. If it was the battery then people that have electric carts should be careful. After all there are more then one on yours so more chances. I have seen batteries explode but not catch fire, not to say it wouldn't happen. Shorting out would be a better chance of a fire. We have had some strange ways that houses have caught fire on the company that I run with in PA.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Page one Post #6 says Gas Golf Cart and the Battery on the cart overheated and caught fire.

Thank you for the video Gracie, I have been looking at stick built homes my dh preference, but after watching this, I may persuade my husband to go with concrete.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
No I didn't miss the point at all, you leave your car out why not your golf cart.
Don't see why it needs the protection.
When you arrive, you can leave your golf cart outdoors if you like. We've had a pretty wet summer to date and honestly, the thought of leaving a rather expensive vehicle outside, in the rain, is not what I would want to do.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

so should you disconnect your battery when you are not there?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default update

Any update on the owners? I know they got out ok but still a shock!!! Stuff can be replaced but still a shock!!! Where are they staying?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Any update on the owners? I know they got out ok but still a shock!!! Stuff can be replaced but still a shock!!! Where are they staying?

One of the neighbors have taken in the affected homeowners while the house is being rebuilt. Last estimate I heard was eight months before that house is again habitable.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
Page one Post #6 says Gas Golf Cart and the Battery on the cart overheated and caught fire.

Thank you for the video Gracie, I have been looking at stick built homes my dh preference, but after watching this, I may persuade my husband to go with concrete.
Things can happen in an instant that we have no control over. The chances of this happening is remote, but when it does happen is devastating to the family. Ultimately, stick or concrete, a fire will displace you and the insurance will rebuild and replace your losses. You still see old Victorian homes standing after 100+ years...and they are frame. Don't burden yourself with concern, buy what you like, stick or concrete and enjoy!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ&TJ View Post
Has there been an official cause determined. One from a fire official not from the forum.
Last night I was at a club meeting where the guest speaker was Lt. Jeff Day from The Villages fire department. I asked about the fire and he said the investigation was still ongoing. He said the fire appeared to have originated in an area of the garage where the homeowner kept his radio controlled airplanes. He specifically said that the homeowner's golf cart was not thought to be the cause of the fire.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Sage

well they are propelled either by high octane fuel or Lipo batteries I think, those batteries can catch on fire while charging.

Time will tell.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.