Hadley Pool

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Default Pool furniture

Couldn't care less about the colors or designer names. The main thing here is comfort, design, and above all safety of the product. I have now heard of at least 3 people having accidents on these new lounges. Seemingly they have been tipping. I wasn't there when these accidents occurred but 2 people were seriously injured when their chairs tipped and their heads wound up being whacked on the concrete flooring. I don't know if it was reported but it should have been. Blood was involved.
It's just a shame when price obviously took precidence over quality and safety of the residents who pay the ammenties fees to keep the Villages as beautiful as it is.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
No puzzle here.... Lighten up.
To me the puzzle is why such a negative response? I feel this is something of a pattern...

It appears that folks felt the new stuff was less comfy than the old stuff. Also, that most folks felt the chairs etc. were still in good shape. If it ain't broke, set aside the replacement funds for a later date...

I don't care about a designer label, but do care about comfort and overall appearance.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookirgirl View Post
Couldn't care less about the colors or designer names. The main thing here is comfort, design, and above all safety of the product. I have now heard of at least 3 people having accidents on these new lounges. Seemingly they have been tipping. I wasn't there when these accidents occurred but 2 people were seriously injured when their chairs tipped and their heads wound up being whacked on the concrete flooring. I don't know if it was reported but it should have been. Blood was involved.
It's just a shame when price obviously took precidence over quality and safety of the residents who pay the ammenties fees to keep the Villages as beautiful as it is.
I smell a lawsuit in the making, and that could cost all district residents! Secondary to the safety issue, this could be a concern worth noting!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
No puzzle here. Four years old. Used everyday,365 days a year. Many many times a day. New furniture-sounds good to me.You will get used to it.Maybe I would complain if they did not replace the old furniture. Lighten up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
To me the puzzle is why such a negative response? I feel this is something of a pattern...

It appears that folks felt the new stuff was less comfy than the old stuff. Also, that most folks felt the chairs etc. were still in good shape. If it ain't broke, set aside the replacement funds for a later date...

I don't care about a designer label, but do care about comfort and overall appearance.
I'm with you Kate.

Also would like to say that there is no way that any of the pools are used continuously...we do have winter here, and there are many days when
no one is at the pools.

Our pool is about 4 years old and the furniture is just fine. Hope they don't replace it with the new stuff!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I love to see how things are so nice here. Our daughter is the one that saw the designer label and noted the inset tiles around the edge of the pool fit the African theme.

I enjoy the themes and the attention to detail and the nice things that are in the rec centers.

I am a decorate-y person, but I like comfort and safety too.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Default the old ones!?!?!?

the real question here is ,, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REMOVED ONES? were they sold? traded in? crushed? destroyed? everyone liked them,, the could have been sold to the folks in TV. What do they do with salvage things, do they have a huge garage sale to generate money? or do the employees get to take it home? maybe all that older stuff went to a hunting "" cabin" in Montana?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Sage

New furniture at Duval pool as well - same as described at Hadley, etc..

Bill
Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
New furniture at Duval pool as well - same as described at Hadley, etc..

Bill
Bill. People are describing "straps" instead of a solid piece. Are they like the ones that many of us had at the beginning of our outdoor furniture ownership long ago ....straps attached to aluminum tubing?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bill. People are discribing "straps" instead of a solid piece. Are they like the ones that many of us had at the beginning of our outdoor furniture ownership long ago ....straps attached to aluminum tubing?
To me the straps look like they're attached more to PVC tubing than aluminum.. Flimsey...as are the chair-side tables etc.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM
KittyKat
Default Heard about this at the last POA mtg

A lady from the Village of Bonita sat next to me at the most recent POA meeting. Janet Tutt was there and this lady asked Janet if she was aware that 2 people had been seriously hurt after falling off the new lounge chairs. She said she was aware, that they had recently consulted with Disney World & ordered the same chairs that Disney was using. No mention was made of the type of chairs(vinyl straps). Janet said that they thought the armless chaises, which are lower, would be easier for people with joint problems to get in & out of. I believe she said that they were reviewing this decision. My 84yo mother went to the pool late this afternoon and told me that they had replaced all the chaises with the ones I described. Like others, I hate these kind of chairs. They just replace the furniture about 2 years ago. I can't believe they needed to be replaced. Mom & I like chaises with arms as it makes it easier for us to get up as we both have had knee replacements and are on the "plus" side. The other furniture was classy-looking. I am definitely going to follow up on this with Janet or the Recreation Dept.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bill. People are describing "straps" instead of a solid piece. Are they like the ones that many of us had at the beginning of our outdoor furniture ownership long ago ....straps attached to aluminum tubing?
Yes, there are both horizontal and vertical straps, interwoven with one another (like the top on a pie). Frankly, the straps seemed pretty thick to me, as well as being maybe 1.5"-2" wide. It was a heavy solid vinyl, not the old-timey woven webbing kind of stuff - seemed kinda rubbery. The framing is aluminum, not plastic, and more than likely the surface is powdercoated (in white) - seemed to be pretty heavy gauge aluminum.....again, not like the bare aluminum frames we all remember. Bracing between parts of the frame are welded, not screwed/riveted together - you can easily see the welds. Overall, the stuff looked real substantial to me. Now how long the strapping will hold up in the FL sun remains to be seen! Again, I can only speak to what I saw at the Duval Pool today.

The mystery to me is how in the world it will be possible to replace any of the strapping if it does deteriorate. It seemed like each piece was wrapped around the side of the frame about three wraps on each end - no screws or rivets holding it in place. How you could do that on one end is easy to figure. How can it be done on both ends...........there's the mystery! Only thing I can figure is that it was done by machine and that the strapping had enough stretch in it to remain taut.

Bill
Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Sage
Default Do what Disney does??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
A lady from the Village of Bonita sat next to me at the most recent POA meeting. Janet Tutt was there and this lady asked Janet if she was aware that 2 people had been seriously hurt after falling off the new lounge chairs. She said she was aware, that they had recently consulted with Disney World & ordered the same chairs that Disney was using.
They consulted with DisneyWorld about chairs ordered the same chairs that Disney was using?

How about consulting The Villages residents and ordering the same chairs they had been using and that were safe, comfortable and durable with rigorous daily use?!?!?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default New Chairs

I had similar chairs up north but with arms. Heavy duty strapping in white. Over time because of suntan lotion, oils and sitting in the sun they turned yellowish brown and would not come clean. So I assume the same will happen to these. We're all getting older and more fragile. There are grab rails everywhere. Why someone would think chaise lounges without arms would be a good idea is beyond me. The chises do tip & if you try and get the braces out of your lower back by moving up the foot end starts to come up.Not the greatest of ideas. More money down the drain.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage

I think they put the better furniture at the family pools
Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Gold member
Default Chairs

I checked out the new furniture at Hadley pool.Great. Had no problem with it. Seems like nice clean and safe furniture. Not sure how someone could get hurt on this. Maybe to many cocktails at the poolside. Like I said "Lighten UP", everything is fine. Thank You for the new furniture.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.