Handicap Parking in Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Here's the thing: golf carts can't be registered. Handicap tags issued by the motor vehicle department are supposed to be used on registered vehicles. An LSV can be registered, so if your golf cart is street legal, then you can use the tag on it and park there. I don't know of anyone who actually honors this law, and I don't know of anyone issued a citation for violating it.

Possibly, if someone had a handicap tag hanging from their unregistered non-street legal golf cart, and was parked in a handicap parking space, and they got into an accident while in the parking space, they'd probably be issued a citation for parking where they weren't supposed to be, and the insurance companies would consider them at fault for the accident. That's a stretch, but I'm sure it's possible.
The Florida Parking Placard Registration is issue to an individual, not a vehicle. It references the individual’s driver’s license number and the individual’s name and address. No where on the form is a vehicle license number shown. An individual could use the placard when riding in another person's vehicle, or ina golf cart.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Don't know about parking but I do know that some golfers, those with physical handicaps in mobility, can obtain a tag that allows them to drive their carts onto the turf on executive courses. I've not seen one close up; a small red tag, maybe? Possibly that tag can be used for parking in handicapped spaces as well.
Golf carts should not take one whole handicapped parking space like they do
Old 06-13-2023, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

This might be off topic, but The Villages should have designated golf cart handicap parking.
The handicap parking for cars has extra space for wheelchair users, if you are in a golf cart the odds of it caring a wheelchair are slim.
I'm not saying that there are not handicap people who are driving golf carts and for those people you can even make their parking closer to the entrance of the establishment than those who need the wheelchair space.
My wife was in a wheelchair and at times I would see a golf cart parked in a handicap stop and I would be jammed in between two cars trying to fit in the wheelchair.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
The Florida Parking Placard Registration is issue to an individual, not a vehicle. It references the individual’s driver’s license number and the individual’s name and address. No where on the form is a vehicle license number shown. An individual could use the placard when riding in another person's vehicle, or ina golf cart.
That applies only to the placards that hang from the rear-view mirror.

For permanent plates it has to be a registered motor vehicle, because the plate would replace the usual plates that all registered vehicles have on their cars. You can't take the plate off your car and put it on the back of your golf cart, that would be illegal.

Both types have expiration dates and have to be renewed.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
This might be off topic, but The Villages should have designated golf cart handicap parking.
This is a very good idea. I hope you would send it to the ADA Coordinator for The Villages. Her email is: adacoordinator@Distgov.org Her name is: Kathleen Storey.

If you check this page: Americans with Disabilities Act Information They are encouraging Villagers to make such helpful suggestions as yours.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:55 AM
Default Handicap card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpphred View Post
Was doing a Lifestyle Visit last month and have a question. Do Golf Carts have Handicap tags? I know cars have plates or hanging tags. I see a lot of Golf Carts in handicap spots and I didn't notice any visible tags. Could be maybe I just missed them.
DMV gave me one for my car and my cart. My doctor filled out form needed
Old 06-13-2023, 12:54 PM

I have a state issued handicap placard. The Villages will issue a CAP card to drive on the fairways, then a red sleeve (color changes every year) can be purchased at one of the country clubs for $8.00. One is supposed to stay 30 feet from the greens.
Be kind to one another... Ephesians 4:32
Closed Thread

Tags
handicap, golf, carts, tags, spots

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.