Handicapped parking spaces

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Default Handicapped parking spaces

Just what percent of the people with handicap signs or license plates
really need them ?? Does Walmart has enough handicapped spaces ?
Just watch when its raining how fast they can run from the car to the store - its a miracle. Yes I know there are many kinds of disabilities and thank God I dont need a handicap parking spot
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Whenever we park near one of the sports pools, we are saddened that people fill up the few available Handicapped spaces then saunter into the pool.

If you can walk as far as your destination, please park in a "normal" space nearby and leave the reserved spaces for those who really need them.

They are specially-designed with large areas each side so that people can get into wheelchairs, or onto crutches.

Thank you
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Don't judge a book by the cover.

Many medical conditions can limit someone's activity. Just because you observe someone walking from point A to point B doesn't mean they don't need a handicapped spot. They could have a serious heart condition or a problem that causes pain if they walk any distance.

I used to be critical of those using the handicapped spots, now I know many people that use them but have conditions that are not obvious. I also know people who are to proud to use them and put their well-being at risk every time they walk those extra steps.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Gold member

well said. there are too many busybodies criticizing folks they know absolutly nothing about. there are many maladies out there requiring the stickers. its one thing to criticize driving habits and dogs and dog poop etc etc, but quite another to criticize the handicapped !
shame on those that do.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Don't judge a book by the cover.

Many medical conditions can limit someone's activity. Just because you observe someone walking from point A to point B doesn't mean they don't need a handicapped spot. They could have a serious heart condition or a problem that causes pain if they walk any distance.

I used to be critical of those using the handicapped spots, now I know many people that use them but have conditions that are not obvious. I also know people who are to proud to use them and put their well-being at risk every time they walk those extra steps.
Well said!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

Like the malady of the oxygen tank and smoking cigarettes at the same time.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Honestly, if people worried more about the things they can change (themselves) and less about the things they can't (other people), they might be a lot happier.

just saying . . .
Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Honestly, if people worried more about the things they can change (themselves) and less about the things they can't (other people), they might be a lot happier.

just saying . . .
I was raised and told to keep my nose out of other people's business or be prepared to have a bruised nose a lot! Right now I have been lucky enough to not need a handicapped sign - But there may be a day I do and I don't want to have to explain to everyone why I need one.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Agreed - but if there are a limited number of handicapped parking slots, they should be left for those who really need them.

Imagine someone who needs to get from their car into a wheelchair turning up to find that both handicapped spots have been taken. Either they have to find two adjacent empty spots, or risk damaging someone else's car because they have to have their door wide open.

It's one thing to be "politically correct", but please don't tell me that you have NEVER seen anyone abuse those parking places. If you can stroll from your car to the pool, then play water volleyball, you can probably risk parking one row back.

Sorry if I have offended anyone who genuinely needs those parking places.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM

The Villages Florida
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Girl View Post
The Villages Florida

Village Girl. When I grow up I wanta be just like you.

If I had 'em I'd be king.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
.......If I had 'em I'd be king.
"The king laughed - not because he had 'to', but because........"

Bill
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
Agreed - but if there are a limited number of handicapped parking slots, they should be left for those who really need them.

Imagine someone who needs to get from their car into a wheelchair turning up to find that both handicapped spots have been taken. Either they have to find two adjacent empty spots, or risk damaging someone else's car because they have to have their door wide open.

It's one thing to be "politically correct", but please don't tell me that you have NEVER seen anyone abuse those parking places. If you can stroll from your car to the pool, then play water volleyball, you can probably risk parking one row back.

Sorry if I have offended anyone who genuinely needs those parking places.

Oh dear, You haven't offended ANYONE who needs them, but EVERYONE who doesn't, and uses them! I suggest you RUN!!! SAVE YOURSELF!!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If I had 'em I'd be king.
The prince has 'em, and he's not the king.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Default Cybermuda response

I agree there are times I think someone could be abusing it but I don't know the whole story. I am not the judge and jury for the who is handicapped and who is not. I have a friend that is healing right now from having his achilles tendon reattached. He can walk okay for a short distance. If he pushes it he will be in surgery again. This is the second time because the first time he was too proud to use handicapped parking. This time he was told it was his last chance. It can't be repaired again. Sometimes I see people driving really fast and I think they are idiots. Then I stop to think that they may be rushing someone to a hospital or rushing to see someone in a hospital and if they don't get there quick they may not get to see them. Yes, life is not fair. Yes, people always try to cheat the system. But unless you are onipotent and know it all be careful about judging others. Leave that to the Professionals.

Last edited by Oren L Miller; 02-05-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.