Has anyone done their own customization of a Yamaha Quiet Tech

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2022, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,168 Times in 2,786 Posts
Default Has anyone done their own customization of a Yamaha Quiet Tech

Wondering if anyone else has done this and if it’s worth the effort. I am back up north until the fall, and unlike when I’m in the Villages, I seem to have a fair amount of free time to fill. I am thinking of buying a new Yamaha Quiet Tech PTV golf cart, customizing it to suite all my Villages needs (and wants), and trailering to our Villages home when it’s ready. I’m in no hurry, if I have to order it, wait a long time for delivery, and take another year to finish the project it’s all good (we already have two very functional carts at our Villages home). The PTV (personal transportation vehicle) option comes equipped with high speed gears, an hour meter and gas gauge, and LED lights as a starting point and would cost $8,366. My primary goal is to have a fun tinkering project, have a final product that is customized exactly how I want, and being able to take pride in driving a cart for many years that was partially created through my own labor. Saving some $$$ would be an added benefit, but is not my primary goal. Customization ideas are aplenty, you tube instructional videos are out there for just about everything, and everything can be easily purchased online and delivered. Upgraded seats with seatbelts, self canceling turn signals, lots of creative storage, fold down vented windshield, upgraded lighting options, a cool sounding horn, a cooler and sand bottle, fender flairs, a permanent storage place for a fishing pole, some cool electronics and an internal overhead light are my beginning upgrade ideas. I’m sure other ideas will come up as the project progresses. The plan would be to bring the cart to Quality Golf Cart Enclosures when it gets to the Villages for the final touch, a custom made soft enclosure with soft touch fasteners.

Has anyone else undertaken such a project. It would be great to learn from others experience and/or get additional ideas. Thanks
Old 06-02-2022, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,258 Times in 364 Posts

Yes, I did mine. As you stated start with a PTV - that is critical. I had the dealer install the LED head light kit so that I could get the automobile style turn signal stalk. I added the (think they call it) multifunction speedometer/odometer. Just a matter of connecting a few wires.

I bought a Sunbrella enclosure and it took me about 4 hours to install it. Pretty simple but I had to learn as I went. I also added larger mirrors with LED turn signal lights. Again just 4 wires and screws to mount the mirror.

I bought seats and a dash from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. 30 minutes to install the seats. I splurged on the seats and got the El Tigre one I wanted. Good call.

The dash took me about 2 hours. The dash was supposed to be an exact fit but was just slightly warped so I had to work with it.

Wheels and tires you can get anywhere but my dealer was very reasonable so I had it delivered with 12 inch tires and custom rims.

I installed a basic winshield and still have it installed. I would go with a better vented windshield if I did it again.

I plan to add LED strip lights at some point but have been too lazy to do it so far. Probably about $125 to buy and add. Again, a pretty simple task.

I figure I saved about $3,500 compared to what that cart would have cost from TV Carts by buying in Alabama and doing the upgrades myself. I've been happy with the cart after 2 years now.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-03-2022, 06:52 AM

I've done 3. I had Quality Enclosures do all 3. Matt can also get you custom seats at quite a saving. Wheels and tires are available online as well as a speedo and 3rd brake light. I bought my last one (2020) in Alabama for about $7300.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:02 AM

I've found the Golf Cart Seats - Custom Made – Backspin Seating to be top of the line comfortable.

Try these LED strips.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 35" works great on the front fenders and I ran the 47" to light up the undercarriage. These strips are heavy duty and are a lot better than anything else I've used before. You control them with your cell phone app.

For tires and wheels try:
RHOX

I mounted a Garmin GPS for a speedometer that you can get for less than $10 at garage sales now that everyone uses their phones for navigation.
Look for the better units that have lifetime free updates.

A rear overhead shelf and locking glovebox are very handy to hide stuff out of sight.

Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Yes, I did mine. As you stated start with a PTV - that is critical. I had the dealer install the LED head light kit so that I could get the automobile style turn signal stalk. I added the (think they call it) multifunction speedometer/odometer. Just a matter of connecting a few wires.

I bought a Sunbrella enclosure and it took me about 4 hours to install it. Pretty simple but I had to learn as I went. I also added larger mirrors with LED turn signal lights. Again just 4 wires and screws to mount the mirror.

I bought seats and a dash from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. 30 minutes to install the seats. I splurged on the seats and got the El Tigre one I wanted. Good call.

The dash took me about 2 hours. The dash was supposed to be an exact fit but was just slightly warped so I had to work with it.

Wheels and tires you can get anywhere but my dealer was very reasonable so I had it delivered with 12 inch tires and custom rims.

I installed a basic winshield and still have it installed. I would go with a better vented windshield if I did it again.

I plan to add LED strip lights at some point but have been too lazy to do it so far. Probably about $125 to buy and add. Again, a pretty simple task.

I figure I saved about $3,500 compared to what that cart would have cost from TV Carts by buying in Alabama and doing the upgrades myself. I've been happy with the cart after 2 years now.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Wondering if anyone else has done this and if it’s worth the effort. I am back up north until the fall, and unlike when I’m in the Villages, I seem to have a fair amount of free time to fill. I am thinking of buying a new Yamaha Quiet Tech PTV golf cart, customizing it to suite all my Villages needs (and wants), and trailering to our Villages home when it’s ready. I’m in no hurry, if I have to order it, wait a long time for delivery, and take another year to finish the project it’s all good (we already have two very functional carts at our Villages home). The PTV (personal transportation vehicle) option comes equipped with high speed gears, an hour meter and gas gauge, and LED lights as a starting point and would cost $8,366. My primary goal is to have a fun tinkering project, have a final product that is customized exactly how I want, and being able to take pride in driving a cart for many years that was partially created through my own labor. Saving some $$$ would be an added benefit, but is not my primary goal. Customization ideas are aplenty, you tube instructional videos are out there for just about everything, and everything can be easily purchased online and delivered. Upgraded seats with seatbelts, self canceling turn signals, lots of creative storage, fold down vented windshield, upgraded lighting options, a cool sounding horn, a cooler and sand bottle, fender flairs, a permanent storage place for a fishing pole, some cool electronics and an internal overhead light are my beginning upgrade ideas. I’m sure other ideas will come up as the project progresses. The plan would be to bring the cart to Quality Golf Cart Enclosures when it gets to the Villages for the final touch, a custom made soft enclosure with soft touch fasteners.

Has anyone else undertaken such a project. It would be great to learn from others experience and/or get additional ideas. Thanks
Worth the effort? We can't answer that for you.

I would be concerned about getting the completed golf cart to the villages. An opened trailer, a golf cart is not designed to stand up to 70 mph speeds. A trailer on a long haul highway trip, in traffic is not an enjoyable experience. Tolls, fuel?
Old 06-04-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Trailering the cart is not an issue. You just have to take a few reasonable steps.

I trailered my cart to the nation's premier Yamaha golf cart tuner. Plowman's Carts in Flint, MI. I then trailered it all the way back. I had him install a bazooka party tube speaker and a performance kit (I top out at 33 mph now!). Yes, I know all you "You must go 20mph young man" negative nancies and Karens are gonna jump all over me for it. Either you can write me a ticket or that's just too bad, so sad. Go pound sand and kick rocks.

Digressing... There are serious considerations about trailering a cart. I discuss them in the linked thread below.

Page 2, Post #16 of this thread details it all:
Shipping golf cart
Old 06-04-2022, 08:57 AM
Default I did it in 2018 and still happy

I added front wheel hydraulic DISC BRAKES, from Jakes brakes (buggies unlimited). I also installed 3 point seat belts, using the belt towers from a Tomberlin cart, which comes from the factory. It was an easy fit, but not a job you would describe as a few hours.

[B]Almost all the below is copied from a previous poster, but accurate for me.[/B
]

Yes, I did mine. As you stated start with a PTV - that is critical.

I bought seats from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. 30 minutes to install the seats. I splurged on the seats and got the El Tigre one I wanted. Good call.

Wheels and tires, 12 inch tires and chrome Cragar Mags .

I installed a full windshield with vents from Carts & Clubs.

I added LED strip lights. Again, a pretty simple task.

I figure I saved about $3,500 (spent an extra $400-600 on the brakes and seat belts), which you can't get anywhere, compared to what that cart would have cost from TV Carts by buying in Georgia and doing the upgrades myself. I've been happy with the cart after 4 years now.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, cart, project, ideas, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.