Has anyone had any errors in their electric bill?

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Has anyone had any errors in their electric bill?

Monthly charge excluding connect fee for period 6-28 to 7-30 was $186.19, 1,580kwh used. We were there for 4 days at the beginning of the month when we had our stuff moved from a vacation condo in Sarasota. When we left to go back to RI on July 10 we shut off the hot water and set the air at 78 and left the living room ceiling fan on low. The electric company is Seco Energy. We are driving from RI to our place at Phillips Villas next Monday. Are we going to have a $300 monthly electric bill when we live there? The electric company is supposed to come out to re-read the meter soon. Anyone else dispute their electric bill? Do you agree that my bill seems really high and, if so, what should I do next?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Last month our bill was $200.00. We were hardly at home and had the air up so thought it must be an error. However we decided to wait another month so paid the bill. Sure enough, this month the bill was $20.00. will see what happens on the next bill.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Monthly charge excluding connect fee for period 6-28 to 7-30 was $186.19, 1,580kwh used. We were there for 4 days at the beginning of the month when we had our stuff moved from a vacation condo in Sarasota. When we left to go back to RI on July 10 we shut off the hot water and set the air at 78 and left the living room ceiling fan on low. The electric company is Seco Energy. We are driving from RI to our place at Phillips Villas next Monday. Are we going to have a $300 monthly electric bill when we live there? The electric company is supposed to come out to re-read the meter soon. Anyone else dispute their electric bill? Do you agree that my bill seems really high and, if so, what should I do next?
Had the same thing a couple of months ago. Had Chuck Farrell put in a complete new A/C system. The first full months electric bill was the highest we have had in over 12 years. Called SECO - they were great. Said they would have a person re-read the meter. Called the next day and told me it was read wrong and they made the correction.....over $100 less. Great customer service! Last bill was 1/3 less than same time last year and this year was hotter. A/C paying for itself already.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
New or preowned. Ours when we leave (82) runs about $60. A month for 2000 sf It jumped to $128 one month while we were gone, the capacitor on the air conditioner was not working and caused it to run constantly. Home watch person ran over had sunkool come out and fix it. Next month back down to 60
Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
This is our full time home, and We keep our air on 79 or 80 during the day and 77 at night. 78 is not cnservative in Florida in the summer.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Sage
Default Has anyone had any errors in their electric bill?

My last bill was 266 after previous bill was 124. I checked the meter reading and it was off by a thousand so they misread it. I have an old dial meter which requires a human reading. I think the digital meters are read with a device. Seco re-read and fixed the bill. I do have gas for HWh, dryer, and stove. If OP is in a new all-electric CYV, it would be best to compare with others with similar setup. 78 seems a little low for an unoccupied home...82-84 should be fine imo. 186 did not seem that high and it was more than 30 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a little better. This is a new courtyard villa. We probably should set the air at a higher temp when we are not there. Just learning all this stuff. My wife thinks that they might have misread the meter by a 1,000 as was stated above. From what I have heard from everyone, the electric charges are pretty reasonable in the Villages.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 AM

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago where my bill was much higher than usual. I found that the current meter reading on my bill was considerably larger than what the meter displayed on the outside of the house. I called SECO, they re-read my meter, corrected the bill, and all was well in no time. We keep our 2-person, all electric, designer at 80 and the bill is very rarely over $100, mostly $80 to $90.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Electric

We keep the AC at 74 and have a poll. Electric is about $200
Old 08-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
In my opinion 78 when out of town wastes electricity.

The best A/C settings for seasonal customers | FPL Blog

"FPL recommends programming thermostats at 72 degrees for just two hours each morning before sunrise and at 88 degrees the rest of the time. This will help prevent mold by removing moisture from the air during the cooler hours, when relative humidity (RH) is highest and your A/C runs most efficiently."

Highly recommend an Internet accessible thermostat so you can get warnings if humidity levels rise.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post

"FPL recommends programming thermostats at 72 degrees for just two hours each morning before sunrise and at 88 degrees the rest of the time. This will help prevent mold by removing moisture from the air during the cooler hours, when relative humidity (RH) is highest and your A/C runs most efficiently."

Highly recommend an Internet accessible thermostat so you can get warnings if humidity levels rise.
Thanks Allegiance! Good info!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

The problem was a malfunctioning heat strip that will be replaced on Monday. I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff yet but I guess this heat strip was drawing power constantly. Thanks for eveyones comments. We'll be sure to set the air at a higher temp next time the place is unoccupied.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

SECO AND TECO A OK but water utility slowly I turned and step by step........................
Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post

We have a humidstat on our thermostat. We leave all ceiling fans on when we're gone for the summer.
The air conditioning doesn't come on unless it's high humidity.
I don't have SECO bills with me, but I think it's 35/$40 for hydro each summer month.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage

Munn's will gladly sell you a humidistat and install it right next to the carrier thermostat they installed that has dehumidification capabilities. They refuse to tell you that it does have that capability, not even their techs will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, bill, left, company, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.