Has anyone had a mini split installed in their master bedroom?

Old 04-17-2024, 06:34 PM
Default Has anyone had a mini split installed in their master bedroom?

Looking at getting a mini split for the garage and at the same time adding a head for the master. Figured I could cool that room as needed (like it cooler at night and other times) without having to drop the temp in the whole house unit. Have others done? If so, did you go with the ceiling mounted option and put in the outer portion of the ceiling without impacting the trey? Or did you do a wall mount? Appreciate in advance any thoughts and ideas.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggC69 View Post
Looking at getting a mini split for the garage and at the same time adding a head for the master. Figured I could cool that room as needed (like it cooler at night and other times) without having to drop the temp in the whole house unit. Have others done? If so, did you go with the ceiling mounted option and put in the outer portion of the ceiling without impacting the trey? Or did you do a wall mount? Appreciate in advance any thoughts and ideas.
No experience in this but when I look at homes for sale in the Villages and see a picture of a mini split in a main room it suggests there is an issue with cooling the home (when there is not)? Have you considered the extra noise it would create in the bedroom where you are used to total quiet to sleep? How much cooler do you want the room to make a mini split worth the cost over cooling the whole home? Lastly, have you tried a simple ceiling fan in the room first? Not against your idea just my random thoughts.

Last edited by CarlR33; 04-17-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:56 PM

Thanks Carl. Just thinking through all the options. Great points to consider. Much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,169 Times in 2,258 Posts

CarlR33, we use the fan pointed down, and this works very well for us. Also, I had looked at some multizone mini-splits, there was a limit on the coolant line lengths, and it was not obvious that these could be run through the very hot attic, so depending on the layout of your house there may be some physical constraints.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:07 AM
Default Master Bedroom

Yes we have a Mitsubishi Mini Split in the Master Bedroom. No more turning the thermostat for the whole house down every night. The temperature in the bedroom is a constant 68 degrees.
The cost is pennies a day for this comfort. We used Daniels AC out of Inverness. You're looking at about $2500 for the unit and install. You can barely hear it run inside and outside.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:10 AM

Thanks Under55. $2500 seems like a great price for a mini split! Curious, did you mount in the ceiling or on the wall?
Old 04-18-2024, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,651 Posts

Have you looked into Zoning your current system??

Cool sections/rooms individually, not the entire house.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks Under55. $2500 seems like a great price for a mini split! Curious, did you mount in the ceiling or on the wall?
It is on the wall. This is the second home in The Villages we have done this and used Daniels both times. They handle all the permits. It is truly worth it if you like a cold room to sleep in. In our second home the electric was already in place so the price was $2480. It might have been more in the first home we had to run electric to the location of the outside unit. They will come and quote the project at no cost to you.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
Yes we have a Mitsubishi Mini Split in the Master Bedroom. No more turning the thermostat for the whole house down every night. The temperature in the bedroom is a constant 68 degrees.
The cost is pennies a day for this comfort. We used Daniels AC out of Inverness. You're looking at about $2500 for the unit and install. You can barely hear it run inside and outside.
Agree. Mine is super quiet. So worth it for that price
Old 04-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,466 Posts

Let’s see no window units allowed but mini splits allowed? All about money
Old 04-18-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
Like others, not saying you shouldn't do this. But maybe do a test where you drop your temp for a month to 68 at night for your whole house, and compare it to what you pay per month when you don't drop it. Pick a couple of the hottest months for the max comparison.

Let's say the difference is $25 per month. That means 100 months, or 8.3 years you could do that for the $2500 you would spend on the split system. And if you are thinking "But that will kill my house AC quicker" well perhaps, but then you have $2500 in your pocket to put towards a new house AC,

Not perfect/apples to apples, but at least you would be going into the purchase with an idea of what your $2500 purchase gets you vs just turning down your existing AC a bit.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:09 PM

I just put three in separate systems all 12000 btu all under 1000 all 22 seer.. these are super simple to install. Cost is super low they all on Alexa. There is o noise from these units.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Is this new construction or your existing home? I built couple years ago and put in zones. I have three zones, the master, the main guest room and the remainder of the house. I can keep my bedroom and 70, or less, and at the same time keep my guest bedroom at 75 for the times my mom visits. I keep the rest of the house at 71. I recall buying a unit that can zone was extra, but worth every penny.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:41 PM

We definitely are planning to add one to the garage and still debating the master. Thanks for all the great thoughts and opinions.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
No experience in this but when I look at homes for sale in the Villages and see a picture of a mini split in a main room it suggests there is an issue with cooling the home (when there is not)? Have you considered the extra noise it would create in the bedroom where you are used to total quiet to sleep? How much cooler do you want the room to make a mini split worth the cost over cooling the whole home? Lastly, have you tried a simple ceiling fan in the room first? Not against your idea just my random thoughts.
You perception that a mini split suggests an inadequate cooling system could not be more wrong. Most commercial properties have have zone controls to save energy. Installing a dedicated AC unit in the bedroom makes sense since you can keep the temperature at 68 degs for optimal sleep conditions without wasting energy cooling the rest of the house. The units are very quiet and if there is any noise it would probable serve as a sleep aid similar to playing brown noise in the background.

Tags
ceiling, mini, split, master, option

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.