Has anyone here tried recumbent trike?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN
Default Has anyone here tried recumbent trike?

If you had a recumbent trike, I would like your verdict on it before I go ahead and spend a fortune on it. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

I ride a recumbent bike at the fitness center. I honestly think anyone who rides a recumbent bike in the street or the MMP, even with the tall flag flying in the back, has a death wish.

Last edited by coffeebean; 04-18-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I ride a recumbent bike at the fitness center. I honestly think anyone who rides a recumbent bike in the street or the MMP, even with the tall flag flying in the back, has a death wish.
Many thanks. That was what I was wondering about. We plan to ride ours only on trail paths around here (Minneapolis). No motorized vehicles are allowed on these trail paths.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

A close friend bought one of those bikes. He has to have the best of everything so it was the mac daddy of recumbent bikes, $8k.

He road it twice and scared himself half to death with traffic. He tried to sell it for half what he paid, no luck. After collecting dust in his garage for several years, he gave it away.

In my, not so humble, opinion – a recumbent bike becomes as expensive coat rack.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
A close friend bought one of those bikes. He has to have the best of everything so it was the mac daddy of recumbent bikes, $8k.

He road it twice and scared himself half to death with traffic. He tried to sell it for half what he paid, no luck. After collecting dust in his garage for several years, he gave it away.

In my, not so humble, opinion – a recumbent bike becomes as expensive coat rack.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

A most dangerous machine. Buy a proper bicycle, you have at least a half chance of being seen in time.
Personally I would not ride any type of bicycle in TV even if paid to do so.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 AM
Sage

Death trap,especially in TV--lots of elderly , bad reflexes, bad vision ( we had a person who still drives despite the fact she stated she is legally blind on this forum), new Villages residents who are learning the lay of the land and finally texting-golf cart drivers who are more interesting in talking with each other than looking ahead

Dangerous in car, very dangerous in golf cart--deadly in a recumbent bike
Old 04-18-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Death trap,especially in TV--lots of elderly , bad reflexes, bad vision ( we had a person who still drives despite the fact she stated she is legally blind on this forum), new Villages residents who are learning the lay of the land and finally texting-golf cart drivers who are more interesting in talking with each other than looking ahead

Dangerous in car, very dangerous in golf cart--deadly in a recumbent bike

It's all relative. Death Trap. Drinking and driving is dangerous and foolish. Eating steak all of the time isn't good for you, even if you pay big bucks for it.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Sage

Anything to excess is dangerous;however, keeping the odds in your favor is smart
Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The two wheel versions are additionally dangerous. In the event of an unplanned tipping, one's natural reaction is to put out arm or leg or both....extreme exposure for broken leg/arm, hip or shoulder.
Neighbor of ours broke her hip the first time out on her new recumbent two wheeler....leg out to stop from tipping.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Wow so many opinions from people who do not actually own one. Those opinions are simply worthless, it's like me telling you about skydiving

We own two. Not a deathtrap on paths. Very relaxing, you look forward naturally vice downward like on a bike. Slower than a two wheeler going uphill but faster going downhill. Florida is the ideal place for these as it is so flat. Easy on the knees, you can ride all day long.

Some add an electric assist for climbing the hills after a tunnel.

I can't even think of one that costs 8,000. I have seen reviews of multi thousand mile trips and those bikes don't cost 8K.

Now don't get me wrong I won't ride cross country on them but we are going to a meet in Tennessee next month for a weekend of riding. There should be a few hundred of us on these "deathtraps".
Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Sage

Spot-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Wow so many opinions from people who do not actually own one. Those opinions are simply worthless, it's like me telling you about skydiving

We own two. Not a deathtrap on paths. Very relaxing, you look forward naturally vice downward like on a bike. Slower than a two wheeler going uphill but faster going downhill. Florida is the ideal place for these as it is so flat. Easy on the knees, you can ride all day long.

I can't even think of one that costs 8,000. I have seen reviews of multi thousand mile trips and those bikes don't cost 8K.

Now don't get me wrong I won't ride cross country on them but we are going to a meet in Tennessee next month for a weekend of riding. There should be a few hundred of us on these "deathtraps".
Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The two wheel versions are additionally dangerous. In the event of an unplanned tipping, one's natural reaction is to put out arm or leg or both....extreme exposure for broken leg/arm, hip or shoulder.
Neighbor of ours broke her hip the first time out on her new recumbent two wheeler....leg out to stop from tipping.
My goodness.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Thanks for your encouragement. I thought they would be ok on trail paths. While my husband was trying his out for the first time, he fell right on our driveway when tipping. We are taking ours to a vacant parking lot for practice.
Closed Thread

Tags
recumbent, trike, fortune, spend, verdict

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.