Has anyone with an older stucco home replaced their windows?

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2023, 07:41 AM
Default Has anyone with an older stucco home replaced their windows?

Just curious if anyone has replaced the original windows in a stucco home. What was your experience?
Old 09-30-2023, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

I had every window and door replaced in my courtyard villa and am very happy with the results. Bought and installed by Lowes, with a few little bumps. My villa feels tighter and quieter. The sliders lock tightly and slide effortlessly.

Would do it again if I moved.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Will it pay for itself? Seems unlikely.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Will it pay for itself? Seems unlikely.

Agree, I have double pain windows in my 20 year old stucco that flip out for cleaning and they are tight and clear. I don’t get the hype or benefits spending thousands of dollars to replace windows nothing wrong with them when salesman’s pitches them. (but the new hype is 3 pain windows, and another ten years they will be useless? Cause we now have 4 pain windows which they probably have? ) I would only consider if the windows was cloudy, leaking, or broke. But, that me.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Agree, I have double pain windows in my 20 year old stucco that flip out for cleaning and they are tight and clear. I don’t get the hype or benefits spending thousands of dollars to replace windows nothing wrong with them when salesman’s pitches them. (but the new hype is 3 pain windows, and another ten years they will be useless? Cause we now have 4 pain windows which they probably have? ) I would only consider if the windows was cloudy, leaking, or broke. But, that me.
If windows are too tight how do you get fresh air?
Old 09-30-2023, 09:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Stu the idea of a tight window is to stop heat and cold from entering home making heating and cooling home more efficient. If you want fresh are open a window or door periodically. We got rid of our gas stove/oven because it doesn’t vent outdoors any gas cooking is done outside on a gas grill.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Tight not tight that is the question? Tight? sealed were supposed to be. Tight? when window is closed.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:25 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Thumbs up Window World

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkie View Post
Just curious if anyone has replaced the original windows in a stucco home. What was your experience?
Window World of Ocala did ours.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:24 AM

We've replaced all of our windows in our 1993 CYV. The heat gain from the sun/atmosphere is virtually zero now and we have a southern exposure for most of our windows. Cook's Aluminum did some of the replacements with vinyl windows, double pane, E glass, argon filled, then Lowes did some because their price was better for the same quality. Very happy with both installers.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:56 AM

Our older home (2004) in Windermere had single pane windows. Installed New South double pane low E windows. AC usage went down 35%. Lifetime transferable warranty. Even screens were under warranty.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:56 AM

Poor quality
Old 10-01-2023, 07:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
We've replaced all of our windows in our 1993 CYV. The heat gain from the sun/atmosphere is virtually zero now and we have a southern exposure for most of our windows. Cook's Aluminum did some of the replacements with vinyl windows, double pane, E glass, argon filled, then Lowes did some because their price was better for the same quality. Very happy with both installers.
If the heat gain is down, you must have had windows installed that have a coating that rejects a lot of the sun. I have a lot of old paintings that could be damaged by UV rays. I had window tinting applied that blocks out 99% of the UV rays and a lot of the heat. Not all—when there is direct sunlight, there is still heat transfer, but it’s much less than it was. (The insulated wall blocks much more.) The living room is much easier to cool now. This cost $800 and took two very experienced guys about two hours. The light is blocked by ceramic nano-particles that bounce back the light, but they are invisible to my eye. The rooms are a little darker. The tinting doesn’t have a mirror surface, but in the day, people can’t really see in from outdoors—like tinting on car windows. I used Angi online to find a company, which came from Ocala. Worked fine. Much cheaper than new windows. (I never open my windows and use the HVAC 24/7 all year. I use the bathroom exhaust fan maybe two hours a day, and as the sliding doors and windows and doors in this 11 year old house aren’t perfectly sealed, enough air gets pulled in for air exchange.)

Last edited by MandoMan; 10-01-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Stu the idea of a tight window is to stop heat and cold from entering home making heating and cooling home more efficient.
Geez, do you really think that us retirees in our 60's and 70's haven't lived in houses long enough to understand this concept? Do you really think these are totally new concepts after watching TV commercials, and paying heating bills for 40+ years?

I had a poor oil burner cleaning in a 200 year old house once, where the exhaust of the oil burner went into the basement. We all got a touch of CO poisoning and was saved by VERY LEAKY VERY UNTITE windows. .

There are reasons for not having perfectly tight windows and doors, under certain conditions, and for this reason, we leave a window cracked maybe a 1/16th inch all year round in some of the modern houses we have lived in. . .
Old 10-01-2023, 08:12 AM
Default New Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkie View Post
First choice out of Ocala did all of our windows in our stucco home and we are very pleased with the quality price and installation services
Old 10-01-2023, 08:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Stu the idea of a tight window is to stop heat and cold from entering home making heating and cooling home more efficient. If you want fresh are open a window or door periodically. We got rid of our gas stove/oven because it doesn’t vent outdoors any gas cooking is done outside on a gas grill.
No kidding.
Closed Thread

Tags
stucco, home, replaced, windows, original

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.