Has SECO Energy caught up with you yet?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

had a neighbor who one year decided to decorate the big green utility box that was on his property with colorful Christmas wrapping paper and a huge read bow

it looked nice, but it didn't go over that well with FPL
Old 10-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

We haven’t heard anything yet. Crossing our fingers.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:04 AM
Default SECO - ugh

We have been here 16 years, several month ago SECO knocked on our door saying they were taking down some bushes around the box. They made a mess and just left it.
Two weeks ago a woman from SECO knocked on our door and told me I have to clean up the mess they left. I said they made the mess so why not they clean it up. She said they are not landscapers. I then hired someone to take out the stumps and clean the area then I receive a letter telling me to take a picture and send it to them. Not going to do it - they are sending someone to take the pictures.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Default Our District 4 Rep said SECO was coming

Over a month ago our District 4 rep let us know this was coming so that we would be prepared. Hats off to Don Deakin! He keeps us well informed.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:42 PM
Default SECO letter

Yes and I spoke to the gentleman when he came out and it says on the box that all bushes, etc must be placed 3 ft away from all sides. He explained that if they had to come out and hack through your plants - 1) you'd be upset 2) they'd actually walk away and whomever else in on that line would not have electricity either and therefore you'd have angry neighbors to deal with as well. 3) they can charge you $50 trip fee if you do not respond if they need to discuss this issue with you further.

Plain and simple, take the picture they request and send it to them to get them off your back. I did.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:48 PM

We received no letter and SECO cut our bush down without informing us. This happened several years ago. Since then the bush has grown back.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:49 PM

BTW, we did not plant the bushes. They were there for six years before we moved there.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I bought a home that has a tree growing next to and over the box. I have been trimming it back every year to create clearance for workers, but it comes back. If they say that I need to cut the tree down, I will. "say la vie"
Old 10-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Many of our neighbors had trees planted by the developers 8 years ago that had to be removed as well as other shrubs. One I know had a $1660 palm tree approved by arc that had to be removed. These requirements are understandable but after 8 years it was a little hard to swallow when they were planted by the developers and new plantings haD ARC approval.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:58 PM

I have never seen these boxes anywhere else but here. The Villages thinks of everything, but apparently not with regard to these unsightly boxes!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandHSTAR@AOL.com View Post
Actually we were told this with all transformers (SECO and what is now known as DUKE) when we purchased 23 years ago. They need quick access to their equipement. Also air needs to circulate around the equipment the same as your AC unit outside.
Wrong.....SECO and DUKE are not the same power company
Old 10-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
We were contacted by SECO regarding plants being too close (less than 10') to the box in the yard. We were later told only 3' clearance was necessary. I haven't heard about clearances around the meter. You may want to get clarification from SECO regarding exactly what equipment is referenced on your property.
My neighbor just happened to be in the yard when the SECO representative was on the property to check for compliance. The SECO rep told my neighbor that the one scrub directly in front my home's SECO meter had to be removed. That scrub was the end of a of Lugustrem hedge. The SECO rep also told my neighbor the three Lugustrum schrubs in front of the transformer box had to be removed. The door to the transformer box faces my property so there must be 10 feet of clearance to be in compliance. Good-bye shrubs!

These items which were relayed to my neighbor were also written by the SECO rep on a door knocker, complete with graphics and written instructions to be in compliance.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I got the notice. I moved the box and did not touch the scrubs.

Which box did you move? I wouldn't consider moving any of the utility equipment.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
If there is a transformer next to your property, or if it appears to be on your property, you should be aware that you do not own that area. It is a utility easement. Many people don't understand that. If you can, get a plat of your lot with all the measurements, and you will see exactly where your property ends. Many people plant shrubs around the transformers to hide their "ugliness", and in the end, have to remove them.
As far as having shrubs around your house and close to the electric meter, they have no say about that except if they need to be able to access it or read it.
It was explained to me by a SECO phone representative, that the repairmen must have 3 feet to each side and front of the SECO meter to do a repair. If an arc happens unexpectedly, the repair person needs to be able to jump out of the way of the arc. I get it. I was happy to remove the shrub in front of the SECO meter.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbuoy8 View Post
Will they supply the paint for the box? Ours is all stained, and faded. It looks terrible directly in the front of our house.
The transformer box is in front of your house? I don't think I've seen any of those large transformers in front of any homes. They are usually in the back yards. On a main roadway with the back of the house facing the main roadway, is that the scenario you speak of?

Tags
seco, front, transformer, box, shrubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.