Has SECO Energy caught up with you yet?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2020, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,181 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyh View Post
We have been here 16 years, several month ago SECO knocked on our door saying they were taking down some bushes around the box. They made a mess and just left it.
Two weeks ago a woman from SECO knocked on our door and told me I have to clean up the mess they left. I said they made the mess so why not they clean it up. She said they are not landscapers. I then hired someone to take out the stumps and clean the area then I receive a letter telling me to take a picture and send it to them. Not going to do it - they are sending someone to take the pictures.
The door knocker requests that photos are taken and sent to them. That doesn't seem like too much to ask of the customer. I certainly plan to do that so they don't have to send someone out just to inspect the area.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
I have never seen these boxes anywhere else but here. The Villages thinks of everything, but apparently not with regard to these unsightly boxes!
Welcome to our neighborhood with underground utilities.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Welcome to our neighborhood with underground utilities.
Well said. Usually every lot no matter where you live has an easement used by Utility companies. We may have to remove or move our bushes. It won't make us mad. It just is something that may need to be done. I wish people wouldn't give such a hard time to folks who are just doing their job.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:35 PM

We planted small, low ground cover (Blue Daze) mainly to hide the ugliness of the three utility boxes (one power and two round cylindrical telecommunications) in our front yard. We were told that we had to remove the ground cover and that there needed to be a three foot clearance around the power box. They also told us it is clearly stated on the sticker on the box. Unfortunately for us, there is/was no sticker letting us know that. Additionally, the two telecommunications boxes are on two sides of the power box, approximately 6 inches away from it (so much for the three foot clearance). Lastly, there is not one power or telecommunications box on our block that is straight, level, or plumb. They all look like they were installed by someone who just left a local happy hour. Nevertheless, we removed the plants are are now hopefully in compliance.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by polirudb View Post
We planted small, low ground cover (Blue Daze) mainly to hide the ugliness of the three utility boxes (one power and two round cylindrical telecommunications) in our front yard. We were told that we had to remove the ground cover and that there needed to be a three foot clearance around the power box. They also told us it is clearly stated on the sticker on the box. Unfortunately for us, there is/was no sticker letting us know that. Additionally, the two telecommunications boxes are on two sides of the power box, approximately 6 inches away from it (so much for the three foot clearance). Lastly, there is not one power or telecommunications box on our block that is straight, level, or plumb. They all look like they were installed by someone who just left a local happy hour. Nevertheless, we removed the plants are are now hopefully in compliance.
We also have two cylindrical communications utilities very close to the SECO transformer box. I had not even given it a thought that they are not in compliance with the SECO rules of clearance. That is funny!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:51 AM
Default Sneaky

Seco left a door hanger yesterday without ringing my bell.
I would have appreciated an explanation while they where standing in my yard so I can comply. I was home.
If I’m to email pics of rectification, seco should first email me pics of my existing condition along w/ remedy.
My landscaping hasn’t changed in size or scope since it was installed in 2006.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts
Default This is not entirely accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Rheinhardt View Post
They can't turn off electricity during COVID-19. All utilities in State have made that agreement.
I believe that utilities can't turn off electricity for economic hardship only, lost your ability to pay due to a lost job due to the pandemic.

34.5 million households losing utility shutoff protections by Sept. 30

Governors and public utility commissions in 32 states passed new utility shutoff moratoriums​ during the pandemic, which prohibited providers from shutting off utilities because of nonpayment.

I don't think that obstructing the easement falls into that category.

sportsguy
Old 12-03-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Seco left a door hanger yesterday without ringing my bell.
I would have appreciated an explanation while they where standing in my yard so I can comply. I was home.
If I’m to email pics of rectification, seco should first email me pics of my existing condition along w/ remedy.
My landscaping hasn’t changed in size or scope since it was installed in 2006.
I spoke with the person who signed my letter. He told me that SECO has been lax all these years with making sure their equipment all had easy access. I was also told that recently, there were a couple of accidents and their employees were injured because of the limited access to the transformer boxes. They are cracking down now and their plan is to have all of their equipment in compliance with easy access for their employees.

The door knocker I received had specific instructions and a diagram of what is to be fully compliant with the different types of equipment that SECO has throughout our community.

We complied. Took the photos and emailed them to SECO with the supplied email address. All done but now our view out of our master bedroom windows is not a nice as before. Oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I feel better that the SECO employees will be safe if and when they have to work on the equipment.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don5154 View Post
Wrong.....SECO and DUKE are not the same power company
Maybe before getting so excited to call somebody wrong, read the sentence carefully.
He said "Actually we were told this with all transformers (SECO and what is now known as DUKE) when we purchased 23 years ago.

Referring to 2 different companies, one of which was known by a different name 23 years ago.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Maybe before getting so excited to call somebody wrong, read the sentence carefully.
He said "Actually we were told this with all transformers (SECO and what is now known as DUKE) when we purchased 23 years ago.

Referring to 2 different companies, one of which was known by a different name 23 years ago.
23 years ago it was known as Duke Power......it was started by the Duke Brothers in 1904. I also read it as the poster was drawing a correlation between the two.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
23 years ago it was known as Duke Power......it was started by the Duke Brothers in 1904. I also read it as the poster was drawing a correlation between the two.
Here it was SECO and Progress Energy..... Progress merged with Duke and became Duke here.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,528 Times in 3,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polirudb View Post
I have a broken cover for the CenturyLink box/tower thing in my back yard. The wires are all exposed, and there are nests of bugs inside it. I called CenturyLink, got a few different people, none of whom spoke English as a first language and insisted that they couldn't help me without my account number. I'm not a CenturyLink customer, and so - I don't have an account number. They then sent me to Sales to set up an account. I tried explaining to them the situation and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Finally I just gave up. We can't mow the lawn near that thing, or even use the electric edger, because we don't want to cut those wires and risk - whatever happens when you cut CenturyLink box wires.

So it remains ugly, and broken, and grass-covered, bug-infested, and not my problem. I did what I felt was the right thing to do and they can't be bothered. If we ever get a notice telling us we have to clear out the area, we'll invite them to do it themselves. Or they can shut off the CenturyLink service that we don't have anyway
Old 12-03-2020, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,091 Times in 2,750 Posts

Cut the wires, accidentally of course. They will come and fix it once a customer reports an outage.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,613 Times in 946 Posts

File a complaint with the Florida Public Service Commission (PSC); Consumer Complaints Form - Florida Public Service Commission

Utility can not turn off power if you don’t remove landscaping - imaging if you have an oxygen machine that needs to be charged, and your utility was terminated for landscaping?
They are badgering you - the utility needs to respond to every complaint filed. A door knocker can be a scam, especially in a neighborhood with elderly residents.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
File a complaint with the Florida Public Service Commission (PSC); Consumer Complaints Form - Florida Public Service Commission

Utility can not turn off power if you don’t remove landscaping - imaging if you have an oxygen machine that needs to be charged, and your utility was terminated for landscaping?
They are badgering you - the utility needs to respond to every complaint filed. A door knocker can be a scam, especially in a neighborhood with elderly residents.
... or, do the right thing and remove the plants that create a hazard for electrical workers bringing the situation into complaince with electric code (an actual thing and not a scam).
Closed Thread

Tags
seco, front, transformer, box, shrubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.