Has Your HVAC Maintenance Contract Gone Up in Price

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

We had ServiceStar, the previous owners of our house had a contract with them so we figured we'd just use them, since we weren't familiar with any of them anyway.

They sent Steve to replace our unit when it crapped the bed, but we didn't realize that the old one was still under warranty. So that was a few thousand bucks that we'll never get back.

Then it was time for our annual inspection of ducts and everything else (not duct cleaning service - an inspection for mold, wear and tear of the ducts themselves, etc).

We called, set up an appointment. No one called to confirm, so we called to confirm. They confirmed. Next morning, no one was there, so we called to make sure they knew they were supposed to come. Woman said absolutely yes, she'd text Steve to get an ETA. She never called back. I called her around noon, she said she was sorry she didn't call me, but she hadn't heard back from Steve yet and she'd definitely call me back within 1/2 hour even if she didn't hear from him.

She never called back.

I called and left a message a few hours later telling her that we'd waited all day for Steve, never heard anything from anyone, and they weren't paying ME to be THEIR secretary, it wasn't my job to keep after them to do their jobs or keep track of their schedule.

We ended up not having our ducts inspected at all. We'll get around to it at some point this year.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We use Chuck F. He and his techs say see you once a year. When we put in a new system, told us to wait 1.5 years for first checkup. I have never read a post unhappy with Chuck.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know of any HVAC company who will cover emergency calls, or who will even "guarantee" to show up within a set time frame. Last year, when my system failed on a Saturday in July, Munn's showed up within 3 hours and repaired it. But, I don't even have a maintenance agreement with them.
Munns is very good, we lost power in the heat of summer, & they were out within hours. to op: yes, everything is going up in cost
Old 03-24-2023, 12:20 PM

We just signed with Sunkool for $219 for the year. It’s about the same as your contract so if you are happy …
Old 03-24-2023, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We had ServiceStar, the previous owners of our house had a contract with them so we figured we'd just use them, since we weren't familiar with any of them anyway.

They sent Steve to replace our unit when it crapped the bed, but we didn't realize that the old one was still under warranty. So that was a few thousand bucks that we'll never get back.

Then it was time for our annual inspection of ducts and everything else (not duct cleaning service - an inspection for mold, wear and tear of the ducts themselves, etc).

We called, set up an appointment. No one called to confirm, so we called to confirm. They confirmed. Next morning, no one was there, so we called to make sure they knew they were supposed to come. Woman said absolutely yes, she'd text Steve to get an ETA. She never called back. I called her around noon, she said she was sorry she didn't call me, but she hadn't heard back from Steve yet and she'd definitely call me back within 1/2 hour even if she didn't hear from him.

She never called back.

I called and left a message a few hours later telling her that we'd waited all day for Steve, never heard anything from anyone, and they weren't paying ME to be THEIR secretary, it wasn't my job to keep after them to do their jobs or keep track of their schedule.

We ended up not having our ducts inspected at all. We'll get around to it at some point this year.
wow, i can't believe someone would be so inconsiderate to a customer. that's just bad business & poor work ethic. he could've @ least called to explain .
Old 03-24-2023, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
wow, i can't believe someone would be so inconsiderate to a customer. that's just bad business & poor work ethic. he could've @ least called to explain .
Truth is there so many people moving in Florida there's a sucker born every hour.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:01 PM

Although we did a twice yearly a/c check up before we moved here, we had the unit checked out when we first moved in and asked the tech about a twice yearly service. His response was, Why, it's a known rip off! He's the guy we're going to call when it eventually goes wrong.
Other than changing the filter every month and pressure washing the unit we have done nothing to it for almost six years. Any company will come out and service it whether you have a contract or not so save the money.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Retired A/C mechanic.
Don't put bleach down a PVC drain pipe. Just use Dawn dish soap.

Other than pressure wash condenser, change filter, vacuum coil, return grills and put compound gauges on the system to make sure you have proper pressures on both high and low side of unit.
Detecting a freon leak early is better than discovering it late when it becomes a huge job or possibly need to replace the whole unit.

Also when buying a new unit be mindful of the efficiency rating, there's new efficiency laws so don't be fooled into an outdated unit.

Munn's is the best but currently has an August/September waiting list.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Munn's just replaced our complete HVAC system and, well, like someone ask:
"How's your new HVAC system"?
I answered: "I'll tell you in about 12-15 years."
Closed Thread

Tags
company, contract, hvac, maintenance, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.