Have you filed a Roof Warranty Claim with CertainTeed?

Old 04-15-2024, 07:40 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,355 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, you don't need to be the original owner, but I think you need to file the claim within 2 years of buying the house.
No, mine was 5 years old as were my neighbors. Also, you don't have to call the warranty department, simply call Certainteed, tell them you have algae on the roof, they will ask you address and when your house was built, they will then assign the job to one of the contractors and you will get a call within a couple weeks.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I filed a claim for mildew stains on the roof. As the original owner, they will clean the roof for free within 10 years. They will be cleaning my roof on Tuesday, April 16. Many of my neighbors have already had their roofs cleaned. It is recommended even if you don't see stains on the roof.
Several homes in our 6 year old development had the same issues. We contacted the roofing company, they sent out an inspector who in turn reported that there was a problem. A company with a leprechaun on the car in turn sent out a cleaning crew. The roofs look like new. Just a note to keep in mind….you must be the original owner. The crew told me that if it happens again they will return and clean it again. Only one house had an issue with the shingles which were black. They sent a drone to take a closer look and she ended up getting a new roof which was prorated so she had to pay a partial out-of-pocket
Old 04-15-2024, 08:15 AM

They will clean your roof within 10 years if you are the first or second owner only. My house is 9 years old and I'm the fourth owner. That's what they told me when I called.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:33 AM
Default Roof Cleaning

we have lightning protection, does anyone know if the cleaning will affect it?
Old 04-15-2024, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,748 Times in 5,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
No, mine was 5 years old as were my neighbors. Also, you don't have to call the warranty department, simply call Certainteed, tell them you have algae on the roof, they will ask you address and when your house was built, they will then assign the job to one of the contractors and you will get a call within a couple weeks.
My post may not have been clear. The original owner has 10 years to file a claim. But, a second owner cannot wait until the house is 10 years old. They must file the claim within 2 years after buying the house up to the 10 year roof age.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-15-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:00 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,355 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
Several homes in our 6 year old development had the same issues. We contacted the roofing company, they sent out an inspector who in turn reported that there was a problem. A company with a leprechaun on the car in turn sent out a cleaning crew. The roofs look like new. Just a note to keep in mind….you must be the original owner. The crew told me that if it happens again they will return and clean it again. Only one house had an issue with the shingles which were black. They sent a drone to take a closer look and she ended up getting a new roof which was prorated so she had to pay a partial out-of-pocket
You do not need to be the original owner, both of my neighbors had it done at no cost and they are both second owners and one of them had it done at the 5 year point.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskopski View Post
Which company did you hire to do the work?
I filed the claim by calling CertainTeed at 800-345-1145. They have hired Leprechaun Softwash to clean my roof. I didn't need to hire anyone.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:22 AM

Did quality charge you for labor
Old 04-16-2024, 06:25 AM

Craftylady: did Quality Roofing charge you for labor
Old 04-16-2024, 06:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You do not need to be the original owner, both of my neighbors had it done at no cost and they are both second owners and one of them had it done at the 5 year point.
As I understand it, if you are a second owner, you only have 2 years after buying the house to file a claim. So, if you buy a 6-year old house, you must file the claim by the 8th year. I would suggest confirming that with CertainTeed.

Update: Today, I called CertainTeed to get an explanation of their algae stain warranty. The algae stain warranty extends for a period of 10 years from the date of construction, for the original owner and for the second owner. So, either owner can file a claim for the house as long as the house is less than 10 years old. During that period, CertainTeed will clean the roof for free. However, a third owner or any subsequent owners have no algae stain warranty.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-16-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
As the OP, I see I need to be more specific. The warranty issue is not stains, but a result of the manufacturing/cooling issue that occurred around 2014 causing a significant loss of the aggregate allowing in some spots, the fiberglass to show thru.

The kind of information I am looking for is, did you use The Villages Warranty Dept or go directly to CertainTeed? What all did they require? Were they easy to deal with? How long did the process take? Was the "settlement" a roof replacement or "other"?

I'm hoping to make this a one and done as opposed to an ongoing process.

Thank you
Yes. We filed a claim with Certainteed for our manufactured defective roof. We went directly to Certainteed after our roofer inspected our roof. Certainteed inspected the roof and agreed to the defect. They sent us a check directly. Our roofer went thru the hoops and contacted the warranty dept. Certainteed did not pay for the roof installation 100%. In our case, I believe, they paid for the shingles, paper and a few more items. We DID NOT file an insurance claim. However, after replacement, we let our insurance company know we replaced our roof. They immediately reduced the cost of our homeowners insurance and sent us a prorated check for the difference ( not much money)
Old 04-16-2024, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

My neighbors all had their roofs cleaned by that Leprechaun company and it looked great for maybe a year or two but eventually the dark algae growth came back and now it looks just like mine that was never cleaned. Roofs grow this black algae EVERYWHERE. Your roof is not special or defective. Get over it. I use Spray It And Forget it on my roofs up North and have no lichen or algae growth and they look like new. I'm going to do the same thing here and I am sure it will clean it and keep it that way for at least 5 years.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:55 PM
Default My experience with Certainteed Roofing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
I am in Dunedin and was advised to file a roof warranty claim with CertainTeed.

I would appreciate it if someone who has recently and successfully filed such a claim would be willing to share their experience with me.

Thank You !!!

NOTE: As post#2 points out, this is not an insurance scam, this is a manufacturer defective shingle issue.
I was at an Expo in The Villages & Leprechaun Soft Wash company had a booth. I was informed of the defect of my shingles & they informed me how to file a claim to get the stains cleaned off of my roof.
It was a smooth process & roof was cleaned. This was performed a few years ago. Roof looked great until recently, then the staining started to re-appear. It just so happened that my solar heat panels started leaking & I contacted the company that installed solar panels for the pool to repair the leaks. They informed me that my shingles were in bad shape. Most granules on the shingles were missing & sitting in the gutters.
Shingles were no longer tacked down.
So we contacted Batterbee Roofing to check our roof. The salesman, Rhett, walked the roof & took a video of roof & narrated his findings. Then we sat down & watched the video together. Roof was in bad shape, not only thin, & unglued shingles, but Roof Ridge vents were cracked. So before replacing the solar panels for the pool, we decided to have Batterbee replace the old roof.
Batterbee Roofing did an excellent job. Highly recommend this company for their honesty, no hidden fees, and their reputation.
So my point is, have the stains cleaned, but if Certainteed is the company that supplied your shingles, they are poor quality. Batterbee uses high quality Owens Corning materials.
Saks Roofing was the original company that installed the roof when my home was built, and they must have dropped something that made a hole in the plywood on the roof, & they left the hole & just covered it up with shingles! That was a nightmare waiting to happen!
Batterbee had to replace that whole sheet of plywood.
I called Home Warranty about the hole & they said I had one year to report it! It could not be seen from the inside or the outside! Unbelievable!

Tags
claim, filed, roof, warranty, certainteed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.